“Great Hotel”

Ranked #128 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Wonderful hotel in Venice. The room was large, quiet, clean and well decorated. The bathroom had recently been completely renovated. Staff was very helpfull and polite. It is not located on the main section of Venice, therefore, it is out of the way a little.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jean P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just had a fabulous stay at this hotel--charming in a very private part of Giudecca island just a few minutes water bus ride from central Venice. The staff are just fantastically firendly, courteous, and helpful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DrMegalo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have just returned from a short break at the Domina Home hotel on Giudecca, Venice. The hotel is absolutely charming and the staff are helpful and friendly. It stands in the corner of a lovely little square beside a small canal. We booked a 'superior double' with canal view and couldn't fault the room at all: spacious, clean, modern yet with character. Breakfast was served in a very pleasant conservatory-like room and was more than adequate: I did start to fancy an egg or two though! It was lovely staying on Giudecca and not in the city centre - it was an easy 5 minute hop across to St Mark's square and even closer to Zettere on the opposite bank. At first site Giudecca has little to offer in the way of restaurants, bars and shops, but look carefully and you will find all your need. (see our review of the Cacciatori restaurant)) If we travelled with family or a group we would even consider self catering next time as we found an amply stocked supermarket, banks, chemists and even a fresh fish shop which looked great. As a couple though, the Domina Home was perfect and we can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LondonSwallows
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel is very clean & bright, the rooms well appointed with plenty of space, comfortable beds and a good size en suite shower room. The canal view was lovely although opening the window was at risk of pulling down the drapes. There was a beautiful mimosa tree in full bloom in a garden across the canal.The room with the internal view was also large & very comfortable.
The breakfast was always fresh & good although the machine dispensed coffee was not great. The staff were friendly and welcoming. My thanks to Andrea for noticing my birthday & offering hearty congratulations.
During our stay there was a problem with the water supply (not the hotels problem we were told) but consequently we couldn't shower without risk of scalding during our 5 day stay.
Giudecca is lovely: peaceful, friendly and quiet, a fantastic location, although you have to add the cost of the vaporretti to your budget, 58 euros for airport bus & 7 days vaporetti but for this you can zip around to the outer islands, up & down the grand canal & back & forth from Guidecca as often as your energy will allow.
From the fondamenta you can sip a spritz & watch the sunset with a fabulous view of the city....it would be hard to see it from a better place, althought the view from S.Giorgio tower would rival that of St Marks.
There are several restaurants and bars around & the hotel staff are happy to advise you.
I would be happy to stay here again should I have the opportunity to return to Venice.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 & 11 downstairs reported to be lovely
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank aubin785
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel for a romantic long weekend in Venice, and this little gem ticked all the boxes.

Location:
I was a bit apprehensive about the boat journeys, but it worked really well. We bought the 72-hour Vaporetto pass for around 30 Euros, which was great value for money, especially as we used it to visit the slightly more out-of-the-way islands, like Burano. The nearest vaporetto stop is Palanca, and the hotel is about a 2-3 minute walk from there, down a well-lit passage way. From Palanca, it takes about 8 mins to St Mark's Square. The boats are regular, making travel very easy.

Directions:
From the Palanca vaporetto stop, turn left along the water front. Cross a bridge, and then turn down the next alleyway on the right. The hotel is a further one minute walk on the right hand side.

Hotel:
The hotel was absolutely spotless and very quiet. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room:
Again, the room was spotlessly clean. The decoration was very pleasant (fairly neutral but still comfy and homely). We were in a first floor room with the canal view option. I'm not sure that opting for the canal view is really worth it, but having not seen another room I cannot really comment. We had a slight problem one day with the water in the bathroom - the water just suddenly stopped flowing - but it was soon sorted. The shower tends to have sudden hot/freezing bursts every so often, but it wasn't too much of a problem.

Breakfast:
There was a very good selection for a continental breakfast: a few different juices, tea and coffee, cereal, ham and cheese, bread, lots of jams and spreads, croissants, etc.

Public areas:
There was a small sitting area and bar by the reception. We did not really use the area, but some people were there to use the wifi, which cannot be connected to in the rooms.

Beyond the call of duty?
We arrived at the hotel on my partner's birthday, and I called the hotel a few days before to try and arrange for a bottle of champagne/prosecco to be put in our room before our arrival (obviously I would pay). I was told that it was no problem, and to email my request, which I immediately did. I never heard anything back, which I thought may be a bad sign, but I did hope for the best. Unfortunately, the prosecco never materialised but it was probably a miscommunication as I have zero italian!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hettyhammonds
Romeo, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Absolutely LOVED this hotel. This was my wife and I first trip to Venice and didn't really know where it would be nice to stay, so I booked this hotel based on comments from previous guests. The location was perfect, away from the buzz of San Marco, but yet just a few minutes from the closest Vaporetto stop for extreme convenience. The hotel was super quiet and the rooms were fantastic, super clean and well appointed. The entire staff was a delight to deal with, so willing to help, including when we dropped off our luggage hours before check in time. The included breakfast is great, we fell in love with the chocolate filled croissants!!! Anyhow, I could go on and on, but, I think you got it, if you want to stay in a great hotel during your next stay in Venice, look no further!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jerome B
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We loved La Giudecca on last visit 2010, decided to stay there this visit. When I booked, originally for 6 nights requested specific room if possible, if not requested 2nd or 3rd floor. I called after booking and requested 2 addidional nights, as we would be arriving 2 days earlier than expected.
They responded and said they could give us room for 2 extra 2 nights, but may not be what we booked(which was the expensive "superior" room). I told them whatever was available was fine for the 2 nights. When we checked in, was on the first floor in pretty small room, I figured this was for the 2 nights...when I asked the person at front desk, he said NO, that is your room for entire stay. He then proceeded to say that it was a very nice room and seems annoyed that I would even question it. I don't believe for 1 minute that was a "Superior" room, having seen interiors of other rooms. We had no choice at that point, so we stayed.
Some other points:
Breakfast - nothing special
No in room wi-fi, you have to go to the very small lobby.
Bed not comfortable
Location was great, you can walk all over Giudecca, which is much larger than you would think.

We still love LaGiudecca, but would never stay as Domina Home again.

Room Tip: good luck getting the room or floor you request.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple