Hotel La Forcola
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
    • Free Internet
    • Restaurant
    • Restaurant
    All reviewsmin walk to the train stationfemale receptionisthuge roomsingle roomcanal viewhotel is locatedperfect hotelpastriesbalconybridgeluggageboatscheesesquare
    Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at La Forcola in Venice from the 2nd to the 6th of May. This was our second visit to Venice and we enjoyed it immensely. We selected La Forcola as our base because it was conveniently placed and reasonably priced. The hotel appeared clean and tidy. Our room on the 3rd floor (301) was adequately furnished with a bed, armoire, mini-bar, TV and a dressing table. The bathroom was clean and smelled fresh. The view was across a canal right under the window and across the roof tops towards the Ferrovia. There was a bridge over the canal below as well. We were pleased to see that there was an air conditioning unit but less pleased to find out that it only blew hot air. Never mind, we could open the window and enjoy the air. However, we also had the less enjoyable noise of drunken people returning over the bridge in the early hours and the sea gulls calling to each other. Added to this was the sound of the canal boats (like heavy lorries) and a builders yard about 50 metres away who started work early in the morning. Being close to the canal it was almost inevitable that there would be mosquitoes so I spent a few enjoyable minutes hunting them down and despatching them. So, safely assured that the mossies were gone the wife and I settled down to sleep. The next morning however we were scratching. I was sure that I had got rid of the mosquitoes but I figured some might have come in during the night although I usually wake up when I hear the little blighters. The next night confirmed my worst fears...Bed Bugs! The merciless creatures were eating us alive. I obtained some Antihistamine and insect repellant and we dosed ourselves up and sprayed ourselves and the room. By the time we left on the 6th we were covered in red itchy blotches. We did not let the unfortunate incident of the bugs that bit in the night ruin our stay but we would obviously not choose La Forcola again. A few other details...the breakfast was good and plentiful. The WiFi free and the staff friendly and as I have already said the hotel was very conveniently placed. Just watch out for the bed bugs.

Room Tip: Try to get one without bedbugs.
    • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
    6  Thank RegClarke
    Reviewed May 3, 2013

The other reviews have painted a picture of tiny rooms so I was a little bit worried as we had booked before reading reviews but we stayed in 306 and it was a decent size. Not massive but we only slept in the room so it doesn't need to be a suite! The hotel is 10/15 minute walk from the train/bus station with plenty of little pizzerias and gelato shops on the way ( the walk turns into about 30 minutes). Breakfast was included. Very basic but was nice so no complaints from us. The rooms were quiet and we even had a lovely view over the canal in front. Def recommend

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank Nichola A
    Reviewed March 26, 2013

The room was really small and cramped, no where to put your bags, I had mine at the end od of the small bed, The Toilet, Bidet, and Shower were all together, but could be separated by a screen, But when you Showered the water did not drain away very fast and if you wanted to use the Toilet you had to walk in at least a quarter inch of water, it was terrible.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
    Reviewed March 5, 2013

So we stayed here last summer (July 2012); sorry for the late review but I thought I had submitte done already (apparently, I did not). The memories are still fresh as my husband and I were just reviewing photos from our trip (for the 10th time, at least!). My husband reserved 2 rooms for 4 adults on hotels.com. We were traveling with another couple. When we arrived, it was explained to us that one of the rooms "sleeps 3" and the other room "sleeps 1". We figured that the room for one would really be large enough for 2, but we were absolutely wrong. I cannot even explain how small this room was. Maybe 6 by 8? The bathroom was a telephone booth -- okay, maybe 2 telephone booths. You get the idea, SMALL. In the end, because my dear husband apparently paid in advance for these rooms, we -- meaning all 4 of us -- slept in the one larger room that "sleeps 3" - because in reality, it was larger than that: the larger room had 2 large rooms -- one room with a separate door with a queen size bed (I think) and the main room - the one that you walk into from the hallway -- had two single beds, which my husband I pushed together. So no alone time for us in Venice! At least the larger room had a balcony overlooking the main street in front, and we could also see the canal. We kept the smaller room because we figured, eh, at least we have some place else to store our extra baggage and another bathroom if we needed it. The other couple we were with, we knew very well, so it was not a big deal to share space, but I could see it being an issue under other circumstances. At the end of the day, I am not sure if this is really a hotel issue or a hotels.com issue. If it truly was a Hotels.com issue, I wish the folks at the front desk would have shown us a little more love! FYI: My husband had also used HOtels.com to reserve another place in Italy a couple of weeks after we were in Venice, a place on Lake Garda. Again, we got two very different rooms - one large one with a balcony and one teeny tiny room with a twin bed that barely accommodated a normal sized couple. Again, we had to make a note of this for the next time we travel to Italy. No more hotels.com!! Ultimately, the location of La Forcola was good in that it was not too far from the train station/water taxi (if you know where you are going) and it was nice to be in a "normal" property that was not all Americanized. Of course, that meant that the AC, while we could hear it working, was NOT working. It was excessivley hot that July and not having the AC working the way it should was a big let down for us and the other party we were with. We did not try the breakfast, as we wanted to get out every day and experience as many eateries was we could. Would I stay here again? no.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
    1  Thank Ariel519
    Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for our honeymoon Feb '13 for the Venice leg of our Grand Tour! We found the hotel easily from the train station. Great location for good places to eat and drink.

The standard room was a little tatty, but proper wooden furniture, wardrobe and desk. Clean sheets and bathroom are important to me, so as long as they're ok, then I'm happy.

Marble staircases and nice fittings, very Venician!

We enjoyed the location as a great base to explore the wonderful vacinity. The hotelier was friendly and recommended a couple of restaurants which turned out to be fantastic.

We will definitely recommend and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: February 2013