“One Night Stay”
Review of Hotel La Forcola

Hotel La Forcola
Ranked #245 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed here on route to a cruise. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable, but beware of the bath. I stepped into the bath to find that the bottom was not flat, but shaped to accommodate the shower. I slipped, and it could have ended our holiday there and then! however it didn't,and we had a good afternoon and evening exploring that part of Venice.It is well located with a waterbus stop not many minutes away. The breakfast buffet was very good with plenty of variety. Our luggage was looked after while we spent the morning out before joining the cruise early afternoon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RetiredSKI

Reviewed October 18, 2011

It wasn't the Ritz, but that wasn't what I was paying for, nor did I expect. For a tourist friendly weekend, I paid $226 for two nights. In that town, that's not bad. The room was small, but it had everything I needed. The remote for the TV didn't work, but in a small room, that was no problem. I had a nice bathroom, clean bed, mini-bar and a balcony. The view wasn't spectacular, but the proximity to the vaparetto more than made up for it. The neighborhood was lively, had lots of shops and felt safe when walking in the late evenings. The breakfast was typically European and the wonderful smell of pasteries wafted through the hall in the mornings (it was included in the price). For anyone traveling on a budget with reasonable expectations, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Autumn L
Reviewed September 19, 2011

It had been a lifelong dream for me to go to Venice but we needed to do it on a tight budget.
The first brilliant decision we made was to choose La Forcola as our hotel. It is a beautiful, historic building with marble staircases adjacent to a small canal and bridge as you will see if you look at the website. The room we had 303 was very clean and well furnished with a bath and shower , fridge (absolutely vital in 40 degrees) ice cold air con and balcony . The room was quiet and the view over the rooftops splendid. We have stayed in many hotels around the world and can honestly say that this room was perfect for us. Of course the rooms are on the small side but what do people expect in a building of this age.
The staff were couteous and helpful. The continental breakfast is served in a lovely little room air conditioned with Sinatra music playing very charming. The food is plentiful with the best apricot filled croissants I have tasted and the coffee delicious (from a machine). I do not know what more anyone would need to start their day of sightseeing.
The location of the hotel makes for easy walking to any area something that many people surely do not realise about Venice. We walked from the Piazzale Roma bus station approx 15 mins . Pack lightly as it will be a struggle if you have a big case to carry over bridges.There is no need to take expensive gondolas but we did go over to Lido and then travlled back the whole length of the Grand Canal for 6.50 euro each .What a bargain. These were the only times we needed to use water transport but of course that was a personal choice. We walked to San Marco every evening about 15 mins and then stopped for a beer in the Irish pub on the way back to the hotel. A truly wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Room 303 was perfect fo us. I believe some are smaller ?
6  Thank DebMiltonkeynes
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This hotel was quite adequate, quaint and in a reasonable location. Our room was small, but had a view down a canal. Although the room was quite close to the street and the main thoroughfare, when the windows were closed you could not tell, very quiet. The bathroom was very small and needed some repair, but was quite adequate for our needs. The staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a little simple, some fresh fruit would have helped, especially as there is a fruit stall across the lane.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I had stayed at the La Forcola hotel some years ago and I had been pretty happy of my stay then. This time my stay was not so good.
I originally booked a standard room and when I got in the room was so small that there was hardly any room between the end of the bed and the wall to pass. We had 2 suitcases and 2 carry-on bags with us and there was absolutely no space where to put them. Even if we had tried to put the suitcases along the wall, we would have had to jump over the bed to go on the other side of the room. Plus the room was dark and looked over a wall, basically an Anna Frank view....
So I called the front desk and asked to be given a larger room. I was told there would have been a supplement of 20 euros for a superior room. Ok fine, what could we do? The new room was more spacious, it had an entrance where we could put the suitcases and there was actually room to go around, but when I got into the bathroom another bad surprise: there was no shower cabin: just a shower head. No shower curtain or dish.No soap dish either, so we had to put the soap on the window sill and the shampoo bottles on the toilet lid. Whenever we would take a shower the whole bathroom flooded. Water everywhere, on the toilet, on the bidet, on the floor. In order not to slip and fall we had to put the bath towels on the floor. How can it be possible that a 3-star hotel has a bathroom with no shower cabin or even a curtain? Last time I had gotten a room with a shower cabin, and this room that allegedly was a "superior" room had not even a curtain. Luckily we stayed just one night at this hotel but I will never go back again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lilianuccia
Reviewed September 9, 2011

While the staff was friendly, we did not get breakfast as we had to leave before they served breakfast. The location was good but the room was not worth it. We stayed in many hostels that were far better!! The room was dark and so musky, when you walked into the bathroom, the source of the musky smell was apparent. Along the top of 2 walls and on the ceiling was very large portions of black mold! Both ended up sick after one night of staying here!! Will not ever stay here again. Will find a hostel next time.

1  Thank Deidra S
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This hotel is great for the budget traveller. Great Location and easy to reach. We had 2 rooms. One was small but above average (Canal View) and other one huge (superior) - I would suggest the latter. Breakfast was basic but adequate.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family