“Not bad.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #387 of 466 Venice B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Not bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

I expected the worst after reading a couple of the reviews on tripadvisor, but happily I found my stay at Hotel Antico Capon quite comfortable. It is a great location, lots of stuff around but not swamped by tourists, and the hotel wasn't hard to find. The room we got was fine, they even gave us an ensuite despite the fact I hadn't booked one.

Complaints: Lots of mosquito's came in through the window, which was necessary to keep open because it was hot and no air conditioning. The room was a little run down, a few things- notably the shower head- were busted, worn, or didn't work properly. And the shower mats; wash the shower mats, guys! Also I am sure that my booking said 'breakfast included'...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bath mat
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2007

Firstly i would have to say that the stay in the hotel antico capon was sensational and made my stay in venice just a dream one to remember.

this was because of three things. firstly, the location is just excellent. it is located conveniently close to the main station and close to all the gathering areas and districts.

secondly it is clean and well presented. the bathrooms are clean and rooms spotless.

lastly, the staff and proprietor do a great job making sure that everything you may need is provided for you. how to get around, where to eat and visit and how to get around. the willingness of the staff to help was just amazing!

i think for hotel accomodation in venice Hotel Antico Capon is a must stay.

its great location, service with a smile and an all round great deal in terms of price. i will definitely be staying there again when i visit venice.

Kind Regards
Gregory Niziksiotis

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — i didnt stay there long enough
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank gniz80
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2006

Having read the mixed reviews here, I decided to give it a shot, since it would only be for one night. Staff was decently friendly, and on first glance, the room seemed a bit filthy, but acceptable. Booked a single room with shared bathroom, and wound up in a room off a side street, near the square - which was not a surprise, having read the other reviews, here.

However, upon returning late at night to retire, I then discovered insects crawling all over the place, including IN THE BED - in between the sheets, on the pillowcase, etc. Being naive, tired, and not sure what else to do, I chalked it up to a camping-like experience, shook things out, took whatever precautions I could, and toughed it out. More seasoned travellers than I are probably shaking their heads while reading this, already knowing how much of a mistake that was, which I've since learned.

I woke up with one large welt on my face, and since then, I've been experiencing more and more bites, indicative of bed bug bites. I'm still trying to officially diagnose the issue. So, while I've no conclusive evidence that bed bugs are the culprit, or that I may have picked them up at Antico Capon and brought them back with me, I'm convinced this is the case. Either way, nobody should have to put up with insects in their bed. I've sent the hotel an email, and a call about the matter, and have never heard back.

So, given the wide range of reviews here, I think the Antico Capon experience can vary widely, depending on what room you wind up with. Yes, the location is good, and their detailed directions very helpful, but I still wouldnt recommend it. If you do decide to book this place for some reason, inspect the room carefully, and have a back-up plan.

Also, please, everyone educate yourselves about bed bugs and other potential insect issues that can plague hotels and hostels. I wish I hadn't been so naive at the time.

• Liked — location, and detailed directions
  • Disliked — insect-ridden room and bed
  • Tips/Secrets — inspect the room carefully for insects, specifically bed bugs, before committing to your stay
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
9 Thank dannygaz

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2006

This was the cheapest accommodation with availability that we could find in Venice-proper with a months notice. It was about a 10 minute walk from the central train station, with excellent directions provided. The hotel/hostel is on a large piazza.

We arrived from Paris on the overnight train at about 10am but we told we couldn't check in until 2pm. When we came back at 2pm after leaving our bags there we were given directions to rooms a 2 minute walk away. These rooms were opposite a restaurant and above a bar.

The room we stayed in had a kitchen of sorts, a fridge and a spacious bathroom. The bathroom was somewhat deficient in the light blub department though. The "double" bed was 2 single beds bolted together which wasn't great.

The room was otherwise comfortable and quiet on the first night (friday). The second night was very noisy and not much sleep was had.

The location of the hotel is fine, but be prepared to walk. A lot.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to budget travellers.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2006

I stayed at this hotel with my partner in May 2006. I found the accommodation very nice and well worth what we paid for it. I searched forever trying to get a good deal on accommodation in Venice. It is all so expensive. I booked at Antico Capon even though some reviews for it were bad.
We stayed in a double room in the annex which is on the other side of the square from the hotel. It was clean, comfortable and good value for money. It is also really easy to find from the train station. It is situated in a square that has many restaurants and bars where a lot of the young locals go for a few drinks at night. The hotel even has a very nice pizzeria attached to it. I also liked the fact that the square is off the tourist track a bit.
I have attached photos so you can see the room for yourself. We had a shared bathroon which was always kept clean. The only bad thing I can say is that the locks on the door clunk quite loudly so if people some home late you can hear their keys unlocking the doors to the other rooms. Other than that, the staff were helpful, there is free internet access, and the main tourist points are a 15 min fantasic stroll along the beautiful Venice canals.
I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay rather cheaply in Venice away from the train station (where a lot of the cheap accom is) but still close to all sights.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Angiebubble
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2005

Easy to find and good location. Only had time to stay one night, but i would recommend it. front staff is helpful and for 18 euro, i was happy. the room was decent, only 2 beds and quite nice

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2005

I have now stayed in the Antico Capon twice. The first time was in 2003, when I called on arrival at the station.
It was not obvious to find at first.When we arrived, we were sent to the annex (the entrance door is actually on a perpendicular street). back then it seemed to be a new addition to the hotel (this is over 2 years ago!). Actually, we found that the worst thing about the place was getting in at night, as it is very dark in the alley and you have to get throught the "dump" of personal belongings in the entrance area to get to the hotel part. Once there though, it was fine. The room could have been slightly cleaner, but otherwise it was fine (no plug holes though), but very hot, with no aircon. and hardly any breeze from the window. As we seemed to be the only ones in the place, we had the very decent bathroom to ourselves. No sign of dead ancestors to us!
The good thing to me about being in a separate building was being far away from the staff, whom I found unfriendly and unhelpful, even with the basics.
The breakfast, that is included in the price, means a pastry and a drink in any one of the cafés in the square. Unfortunately the first time they only indicated one place to us. I hated the sweet pastry but nevertheless loved going into the quaint little bar and drinking my coffee overlooking the square and all the life.
On my second trip I chose a different place to have coffee and a pastry, and remained faithful to it throughout my stay (the bar at the far end of the square, on the left as you leave the hotel). The girl there was amazing, she spoke no English, and would try to sing along to the radio depite this, whilst bringing us our lattes and cream-filled doughnuts, and would every day order me to translate Gwen Stefani into Italian for her (much gesticulation was involved). Just one more of the quircky aspects of the campo.
On my first stay we did eat once at the hotel restaurant - it was ok but it was more to be on the terrace in the square that anything else. I would not recommend it otherwise.

When I returned to Venice with another friend, for the Carnaval last February, despite all this, I had fond memories of my stay at the Antico Capon and decided to stay there again and reserved in advance. This time we were in the main section of the hotel. Both times, I payed 60,- Euros per night for a room for two people. No raise of price for the carnaval, though the square is one of the centers of the goings on (a problem for those who don't deal well with noise till all hours - especially with the addition of a night club that keeps the windows open even when it's freezing). The staff was the same, and even more unfriendly.They made a mistake on our reservation, and we ended up with an en suite room meant for 3 people, which was a nice surprise. The main building is quite dingy - ok for 2 poor students, but not much more. Stained sheets with cigarette burns, dodgy heating in the middle of February, etc.

So, would I go back? Unbelievably, yes. Why? Because for the price you pay, it's all right. It's rundown, but then, most of Venice is. I would recommend it to students and people travelling on a budget: it is a place to be used as a base, a place to sleep after a long day out and another one ahead, and for that, it's perfect. To me, the location outweighs all the negative aspects, for above all,I love the Campo, the life around it, and the way it makes you discover Venice. The first time I went to Venice, I stayed a few hundred meters from St Mark's square, which was lovely, right in the middle of everything touristic. But then, I found out what I was missing. The Antico Capon is close to everything, and yet not too close - the square and its surroundings offer the feeling of "real" Venice (if such there be) and the walks from there and back, over any of the three bridges of the Grand Canal, in the daytime, and even more so at night, are beautiful and what I am looking forward to the most for when I return.

• Stayed February 2005