“Good for the budget conscious”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Antico Capon

and 1 more site!
Antico Capon
Ranked #369 of 468 Venice B&B and Inns
Ibiza, Spain
“Good for the budget conscious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We are a family of 6 (aged between 25-56) travelling on a budget.

Location is good, as it is Piazza Margherita which boast many cafeterias and restaurants. But would recommend venturing further away to quieter places for more authentic and better value-for-money meals.

We arrived early and was allowed to leave the luggage while we explore Venice.
Check in and check out was ok though both times there seems to be a long queues.
There's Wifi for the guests.

We are lucky to be based where the place is advertised but we noticed (while waited to be checked-in and out) there are guests being sent to another location (a small street) opposite the hotel. Probably these are guests booking for shared rooms?

Cleanliness good, but there was some smell that comes out from the sink, which i do understand often happens to older buildings, probably requires timely bleaching?

Note: Allow for additional EUR1.5 per head for city tax and it costs EUR2 per towel (if you need).

Advice based on our experience: if you have many luggages (like we do) and only staying for one night and travelling by train, it's probably make sense to base near the train station. It was a dread dragging our luggages crossing countless bridges and up and down the stairs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had read a lot of good reviews about this hostel, yet having stayed there recently, I sadly cannot agree with them. Let me start with the good points: location is unbeatable, and the price was really good. The room we got was not big but it was confortable enough. The ensuite bathroom was fine although the showerplate was too big for the water pressure. But although you cannot expect any luxuries for what we payed, cleanliness and temperature above freezing point is hardly too much to ask, IMHO.
On arrival we had to call the owner because there was no one there to check us in. They let us leave our stuff in the nice, big room even though it was not ready (we arrived a bit too early) which we found to be a nice gesture - and that was about it. When we came back from our sightseeing, our bags had been removed from the room (by the cleaner I presume) and left in the hallway. Next surprise, we had to pay extra for linens, which they did not state in the booking portal. Really, they could just charge 1 or 2 euros more and give you linens, they would still be the cheapest option around and they wouldn't look stingy. So, we did our beds; the sheets were clean, but the blankets were dirty and spotted. There were some less dirty bed covers in the wardrobe so we used them as neither my friends nor I wanted to sit on top of the dirty blankets.
It was the end of February and it was particularly cold outside, with maximum temps of 4ºC (39ºF) during the day. Our room was hardly any warmer. We complained that the heating was off and the guy (a teen) told us that it went on automatically at 6 pm. It did not started heating until half past or so, but we thought at least we'd sleep warm. Wrong. My friend who stayed up late reading reported that at around 1:30 it went off. That explains why we were freezing next morning.
When we came back after that day's sightseeing, the room had been "made", i.e. trashcan emptied and beds made... though they took the bedcovers, and they left the door open. Not "unlocked"; open. Thankfully nothing was amiss, but still.
Again the room was a freezer, and it was past 6. The guy that was then in reception told us that it would go on automatically at 7. About half past that time we went to complain again and only after the owner saw us half tucked in bed wearing our jackets inside the room did he deign to really turn the heating on, saying something about water pressure and whatnot.
Maybe it's a decent place to go in the summer, when you don't care much about sloppy, uninterested management because your room is not a cold storage chamber and you don't see the filth in the blankets because you don't need them, but stay clear of this place in the wintertime.
And BTW, when we checked the room to make sure we weren't forgetting anything, we saw there was a bout a finger of dirt under the beds.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank nobradors

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

The best part about this place is the location, in my opinion. Within comfortable walking distance to the Rialto Bridge, the train station, and St Mark's square, through a very pictaresque route (although it's hard to find otherwise in Venice), but far enough away from them so as not to be swamped by tacky souvenir shops, overpriced restaurants and hordes of scammers. In fact this is a relatively low-tourist area (for Venice), so food is decently priced, the cafes are cozy and frequented by Venetians, and you do not walk out your door to be greeted by masses of flashing cameras. I stayed in a three bed room, and while it was quite tiny the beds were comfortable enough, and extra blankets were provided for the cold. The view over the square is quite pretty, but quiet enough to get to sleep at night. Bathroom was smelly, but in my experience this is a problem throughout Venice, not limited to the hotel. Wifi was fast and uncomplicated, and the water was hot (good shower too). For the price (around 15-16 euros a night) you cannot get better. The owner who greeted me upon my arrival was friendly, gave me a map and some advice and left me to it. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I can highly recommend the little hotel "Antico Capon" on Piazza Santa Margerita, in the vicinity of Venice University. The hotel is small (which is typical for Venice), but very cosy. The owner is very helpfull and friendly. The hotel is situated in an area which is definately less touristic, with a true local atmosphere. There is a fish and vegetablemarked on the Piazza several days a week, at night the local students hang out there. This place is Indeed very good value for money!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank claus d
Monterrey, México
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Goods: It has a great location, ´cause you can go walking to everywhere (Accademia, Guggenheim, San Marcos, etc.). The Bads: The organization of the owner is awful (he decided to book an individual bed for two diferent individuals on my last night, and on my first he changed me of room without asking). Whatever, its at a normal price, for a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Whilst looking for a hostel to stay in during our weekend in Venice, me and our friends were slightly put off by Antico Capon as it had a number of negative reviews. However, we decided to risk it as the price was very cheap and the location was ideal. It turned out we were very pleasantly suprised. The staff were very helpful and easy-going, if a little odd. But they were very accommodating and had no problem about us leaving our bags with them for the day and checking in with them when we got back later in the evening. There was three of us and we had our own 3-bed bedroom with en suite. There was no air-con but despite the humid weather outside, the fan in our room kept us lovely and cool! The room was clean and beds comfy. We had no complaints about the hostel and the area it's in was just what we were looking for - full of bars and lively in the evening :) although we still managed a peaceful night's sleep when we went to bed! Would definately reccommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My trip in Venice was 5 days, luckily I only booked here for 2 nights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I been travelling a lot,and this is the second worst place ever, plus the price its not cheap. There I have few point want to make,1: The staff here (a female) its not friendly at all. She have no smile and do not want to answer anything you ask,after I asked her 3 times, she give me a kind of useless answer.
2: I know this is a hostel, but I can not believe here have no toilet paper, you need to ask them in the end( the staff just give me one which been opened already). 3: The room looks not that tidy, but I can not believe the blanket (even not a blanket, its a piece of fabric) they offered, its a really dark color, and uncomfortable at all, I DO NOT think they even wash it. 4: When I was in my room, the people who want to clean my room even did not knock my door, just open with the key, and then I open the door asked what was for, its two Italian kids who do not speck a word of English.I asked the unfriendly female staff,she said :" do CAN stay if you want, but we want to clean the room."(in a offensive way), this make me feel really uncomfortable. 5: IT IS really noisy, the first night was OK, but the second night, OMG, as I am stay in the first floor, and the ground floor its a restaurant, they played a really loud music (like a pub) still 23:40, and after that, you can hear a lot of people speaking and laughing on the square, and now its 00:40 in the morning .
The only thing i think its ok which is not really far from bus station (about 10 mins walk), when I booked this hostel from Hostelworld.com, they said only take 4min from bus station its not true.

Please do not come to this hostel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo