“Very accommodating, excellent breakfast buffet, close to San Marco Square”

San Marco Palace Suites
Ranked #251 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here one night because originally booked hotel was a disaster (see other review). Exceptionally helpful staff, excellent dining and and bar lounge area. Exceptional buffet breakfast. Located on canal directly beside San Marco Square. Sleeping quarters are directly beside the main lobby and bar lounge. Elegant wooden walls in main areas. Sleeping quarters are clean and well maintained. Since it is in the older area, the hotel seems cut into sections. The main lobby and lounge area is impressive with lots of leather furniture. Outside appearance is drab but inside area is exceptional. Sleeping quarters are in an adjacent building with the elegant wood panelling breakfast/dining area. Side entrance is on a canal with a small canal bridge leading directly to San |Marco Square (50 metres away). Room was only available for one night, but staff helpful in finding accommodations for our next 2 nights

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The location of hotel was excellent. just about 50 meters from san marco .Our suites was nice ,large and very quite.The rooms was clean and the price in comparison to other hotels was good.It is very good for familiy type vacations.We have a free trip to Morano included in our Package which was excellent.The breakfast was very normal and expensive and it is better to use lots of restaurants around.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a horrible hotel. After travelling from Florence (where we had a fantastic experience), we walked in circles around St. Mark's Square trying to locate this place. When we finally found it, the staff was RUDE and gave us no help or direction. We had to drag our bags to the room by ourselves. The place was dirty and old. The "view" from our suite was of an internal courtyard covered in garbage. We had been looking forward to spending the last two days of our ten day Italian vacation in Venice. Instead, it looked like we were going to be miserable. So, we took the boat over to Hotel Cipriani and immediately checked into a gorgeous junior suite overlooking the pool and lagoon. In addition to the beautiful view, fabulous accomodations, and delicious food, we sipped champagne next to George Clooney . . . . . worth every extra euro. Stay away from the San Marco Palace Suites.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Cleo092011
Reviewed July 26, 2012

As far as I am concerned there are four different buildings for this hotel - One building not so close to the main one and it's far when you have to go to the main building to use wi-fi and have breakfast (No wi-fi in rooms).

This hotel is a maze - from main reception, you need to go around the building, left & right & stairs to get to another building then again from there - out the building down the road about 300 metres to get to the room. Got lost few times.

This one hotel staff was not only deceptive but also lies and treat hotels guest like such a idiot who wouldn't know anything. (everyone else was nice except for this one we dealt with when checking in)

When my husband and I got to the hotel, the staff made me sign the paper agreeing to get "San Marco Square "VIEW"" - it did occur to me why I need to sign the paper when most of the time at a hotel, you don't get to choose which view.. Anyways, didn't think much of it - couldn't read Italian and we just got off the 15 hrs fight, so we believed and co-operated with their procedure by signing to agree which "view" we get.

Then when the concierge took us to the room through the maze, out and walking 300 metres down the main street (fully crowded) - it was actually a room down ""IN" San Marco Square". - I went straight to the reception and said that was deceptive, made me sign the paper that was written with Italian, advising it's San Marco View but it actually is 'In' San Marco square - the staff pulled out a surprised and innocent face saying, "No, I said San Marco square". I was furious!! Then my husband calmly but very strongly said, "No, you clearly said 'The view'", she couldn't say anything - I clearly remember what she said, as I was questioning myself as to why we need to sign the document for which view we get.

Anyways, I can only advise you this hotel was inconveniencing our trip in many different ways and especially with deceptive staff member - but if you had to go to this hotel, and they made you sign the paper - you are signing to agree to be put on a room across and down the road from the main building. At least you go prepared.

It was stupid of me to sign the paper of something I didn't understand, but thought this hotel was a reputable hotel and trusted what came out their mouth & thinking I was cooperating with the hotel procedure.

The location was great and room was nice but for the price I paid, this kinds of deceptiveness treat wasn't worth it. I hate dealing with such things during my holiday.

In addition, I was just stunned all the way from the lobby to the hotel room while guided by the concierge - didn't realise (so didn't give) the concierge paused for a bit at the end asking for a tip. He left so angry and fuming, slamming the door because we didn't give him a tip. Seriously?! Of course you will need to guide us to the room if you were putting us to a completely separate building. Not to mention after all the maze inside the building itself. I paid the room in the hotel not in a separate building where there are no hotel facilities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Soo S
Reviewed July 25, 2012

It's in the heart of the Plaza but if you don't like crowds avoid this area in the summer because it's extremely crowded. It was spacious for a city hotel with two rooms and a large bathroom. It was clean, the air conditioning worked well and our package came with breakfast - which was very good. However, we found the staff to be unfriendly and not helpful at all. Unlike the other hotels we stayed at in Italy we were given no information at check in except our room number. Any questions we had they responded with short curt answers. Their attitudes prevent me from giving it more than 3 stars.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lw233881
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in mid July with family and would stay here again - recommend it for the location, rooms which are beautifully appointed, clean and well serviced and very helpful and friendly staff.
If you have the time take the free trip to Murano island but be warned that you have to to find your own way back on water taxi which cost €7 each. Interesting factory tour and very helpful and knowledgeable guide so worth it.
Breakfast is good but expensive, restaurant offers 15% discount to hotel guests for dinner but did not try it.
Wifi only available in lobby areas but free and fast
Lift system was interesting to the suites as they are over the canal in another building - travel to first floor in one lift, walk along and down some steps and then take the next lift to our suite. Lifts very small and seemed a bit dodgy but did not break down thankfully!
Travel Tip - as you have to cart your own luggage in Venice enter St. Marks Square through the pillars by the Grand Canal, pass the Basilica on your right and take the street straight in front of you. Walk past the bank (with the only ATM we found in the whole of Venice!) and take the first street left (opp Marina Rinaldi store) and first left again straight to the suites reception area. Even if you are staying in the main hotel there are no steps or bridges this way so it's far shorter and easier!

Room Tip: Recommend room 133 - family suite with 2 bedrooms (twin beds and king) and 2 bathrooms (twin with sh...