“Not the review you expected”

Venice Photo Tours with Arved Gintenreiter
More attraction details
Owner description: Combine exploring Venice on and off the beaten path with getting a private photography workshop tailored to your interests. Guided by a professional travel photographer you will learn to capture pro-like images, from postcard shots to daily life, as well as how to get most out of your camera. Take your photography skills to the next level while discovering the beauty of Venice through the lens, visit hot-spots as well as remote Venice of Venetians, learn about history as well as about modern life in town.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This isn't another glowing review of the great time I had with Arved - there's no shortage of those here. Rather, this is a testament to Arvad's character and integrity.

I booked an early morning tour with Arvad just last week. It was going to be the highlight of my time in Venice, but a family issue caused me to cancel with Arved only hours before we were scheduled to meet. I emailed Arvad, apologized for cancelling on basically no notice at all, and told him to keep the money I had already paid. After all, this was only fair considering I was cancelling hours before we were to meet.

Imagine my surprise the next day (as I was leaving Venice) when I received an email from Arvad telling me "no problem" AND refunding my payment. This was most unexpected. As a business owner myself, I was prepared to lose my down payment and in fact had no issue with it at all.

I think this act speaks volumes to Arvad's character. Reading the other reviews, there's already no question about the service he provides and the satisfaction of his clients.

Very highly recommended!

1  Thank MDEWITT
ArvedGintenreiter, Owner at Venice Photo Tours with Arved Gintenreiter, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for these lines!

There are newer reviews for Venice Photo Tours with Arved Gintenreiter

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My teenage daughter and I recently spent an afternoon with Arved. We arranged a 3-hour tour via email and confirmed a meeting point and time in advance. Arved communicated promptly and clearly right up to the meeting time, and when we arrived a few minutes early, he was waiting for us. A+ for promptness and advance communication. No surprises.

My daughter is somewhat new to photography (at least in a formal sense), but I've been taking photos for longer than Arved has been alive, so I booked the trip with two goals in mind: (1) to get some hands-on instruction for my daughter (since it is sometimes difficult for father and teen daughter to function effectively as teacher and student), and (2) to get some guidance to off-the-beaten-path areas of the city. With only three hours, I knew there would be a limit to how much ground we could cover, but I wasn't completely sure how much my daughter could tolerate, and didn't want to overdo it. Three hours was about right for my daughter, but for anyone really serious about shooting, I'd recommend more time if cost is not an issue. I should mention that I intentionally carried with me a pinhole camera and light meter, so that my own shooting would be slowed way down and I'd be relegated to the periphery of most of the digital action. I really tried to "tag along" and not interfere too much with my daughter and Arved. Although my daughter does not warm readily to strangers or teachers, Arved seemed to put us both at immediate ease. He is very friendly and good-natured, helpful without being too pushy, and extremely patient with small details, lens changes and the like. A+ for being approachable and friendly and helpful.

Now, I'm by no means a professional photographer - just a serious and experienced amateur. But I know enough to recognize that Arved knows his stuff and has both a solid set of technical skills and a good sense for composition and "setting up the shot." No BS, and not haughty either. As a teacher he has something to teach, and a good way of teaching it, so if that is what you are looking for, I have no doubt that he can move you up the learning curve rather quickly. I think he can readily adjust to photographers at many levels. A+ for technical skills and creative insights as an instructor.

Arved quickly got us off the tourist path and into some authentic neighborhoods. He clearly had a path worked out, with specific shots and set-ups along the way. I never felt as if he was wasting our time, but just the same he didn't rush things. We had a very leisurely time about it. He knows Venice pretty well, at least well enough to make good on his claim of being a tour guide of sorts, and we definitely took pictures that we otherwise would not have gotten. I was extremely satisfied with the "photo tour" part of the "photo tour." A+ for locations and settings.

In the end, I think the most important thing for us was something really quite intangible. Arved is just a REALLY NICE GUY. He is very likable, genuinely friendly in conversation and very easy to spend time with. In the end, that's what it domes down to. One might quibble a bit about whether it makes sense to pay for a photo tour, and I might agree that doing so was a bit of a luxury for us, but I felt that it was money well spent in the end, especially because it allowed my daughter and me to share our interest in photography in one of the most photogenic cities in the World. When our three hours came to an end, Arved was clearly willing to keep going with us. We were the ones who had reached the limit and were starting to feel a bit tired, cold and hungry. We definitely got our moneys worth. I've frequently spent equal amounts for less satisfying experiences, so if your budget allows a bit of extravagance of this type, I do not think you should hesitate in the least. We would definitely do it again. A+ for value.

ArvedGintenreiter, Owner at Venice Photo Tours with Arved Gintenreiter, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Thanks for taking the time writing up such a lovely review! I hope you and your now little family are doing fine. All the best wishes, Arved

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I spent most of the day with Arved. The first thing I learned was that I needed to learn a lot!! Arved explaind the details of my equipment and help me realize immediately what technical errors I had been making all this time. Within minutes the technical quality improved 100%. Now we neede to work on composition. He has a very keen eye. He taught me the beginnings of taking photographs and not snapshots. Anyone that wants to experience Venice in a very unique way must spend a day with Arved. He will take you to places you will never see on your own. It was the best experience of our vacation so far and I think it will number one at the end. Thanks Arved and let me know when you need those moose and bear pics!!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a 6-hour tour with Arved on 09.02.2013, the last Saturday of the Carnevale di Venezia and realised, within the first 10 minutes after meeting him, that I had made the best possible choice. Arved turned out to be extremely professional but also very easy going, he offered tips on a constant basis and showed me how a potentially boring photo could be turned into something much more interesting.

Arved knows Venice, he knows the places where, even during the Carnevale, you can walk without being disturbed, he knows where the masks will be, he knows how you should use your camera, he knows the places to eat and the places to have a good coffee. Book one of his tours and you'll get much more than a photo tour, you'll get a guided tour in one of the most beautiful cities in the world with someone who knows and loves the city so much that, by the end of the tour, you'll end up loving it too.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I too had first read all the reviews on trip advisor re Arved's photography tours and could not wait to walk the 6 hours Carnival photography tour (I did this yesterday, Sunday 10 Feb, 2013). I have taken many photography tours all over the UK and World and quite simply, Arved is by far, the best. The 6 hrs felt like 6 mins... I wished it had been longer but sadly I had to catch my flight home. The memories I have from this visit far outshine all my previous visits thanks to the outstanding photographs I've brought away with me. Arved is fun/brilliant/knowledgeable/second to none and he made me feel comfortable immediately. I loved too the tips/ideas he would throw into the mix for me to play around with which have given me incredible photographs of the most magical vist to Venice during the fabulous Carnival of the Mask. I so can't wait to come back and top of my list is booking another tour with Arved.

Arved G, Owner at Venice Photo Tours with Arved Gintenreiter, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2014

Thank you for such a glowing review!! I am more than happy to read you had so much fun improving your photography even further. We will keep in touch for sure. It is great to know having new friends in KY now. Thank you! Arved