“Fabulous time with a great teacher”

Venice Photo Tours with Arved Gintenreiter
More attraction details
Owner description: Combine exploring Venice on and off the beaten path with getting a private photography workshop tailored to your interests. Guided by a professional travel photographer you will learn to capture pro-like images, from postcard shots to daily life, as well as how to get most out of your camera. Take your photography skills to the next level while discovering the beauty of Venice through the lens, visit hot-spots as well as remote Venice of Venetians, learn about history as well as about modern life in town.
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I can't recommend Arved highly enough. There were four people in our group, of varying skill level, including beginner. Arved immediately put us all at ease with his friendly nature and began the course by taking us to the Arsenale district of Venice. This meant moving away from the more tourist areas, allowing us to feel at ease. He spent time with all of our group and no question was left unanswered. It was amazing how quickly we began taking proper photographs rather than snaps. We went on the three hour tour and it was amazingly good value, seemingly lasting for a lot longer than the allotted time. Arved intersperses the photography with snippets of Venetian history which adds an extra dimension to the day. We ended the day at St Marks sq, taking pictures of the carnivale masks. By this time it was dusk and we finished by learning how to take photo's with flash.
If you have time, take this course, it's a must!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"novice"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed February 8, 2013

As a small group of varying skill levels and experience, I wasn't sure how it would work but we ended the day praising Arved to the rafters. We started off the beaten track in the 'working class' area , which proved a great way to assess our capabilities and set everyone at ease. Arved was friendly, helpful and attentive and most of all patient. By the time we ended the walk we were all impressed and felt more confident in what we were doing, covering all aspects of photography , from the basics ( for the novice of the group) through composition and framing shots, finishing shooting the Carnivale masks with flash and longer exposure night time shots . The added little history snippets all added to a great day.
If/when we go back, I would expect to do this again, highly recommended.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I arranged with Arved to spend an entire day photographing 'hidden' Venice. The parts not usually visited, the working world, the artisans. We met before dawn, and wandered until after dusk. It was truly fantastic. I was never hurried and I was shown things I would NEVER have found on my own. He went out of his way to watch for little errors I would make in exposure, composition, ... in other words, just as real pro and a really great guy. His experience as a travel photographer really shows. We had lunch where the gondoliers take their break, and coffee breaks in wonderful out-of-the way trattoria. Can't recommend this highly enough. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

***Can I tack on a 6th star somewhere?!?!*** All the other reviews did NOT disappoint. I had to say that based on all the other reviews I was already very excited to be going on the trip. I will break my review down into two parts, technical and tourism. I visited January 2013.

First I did the all day tour, which proved to be extremely priceless for me, as it provided a ton of time to scour the entire city, yet still keep a comfortable pace to stop and enjoy lunch, a few caffe's and one or two (maybe three) glasses of wine along the way. My photography experience is...well none. I love stunning photos and art, however I've always owned a simple camera and I shot based on "a good eye" -- but had no technical skill to back it up.

Technical Part: As I mentioned I only recently bought a DSLR camera with the intention of learning how to use it while on a recent military deployment. I confess that while I have a very impressive camera, it was rather embarrassing that I didn't know how to use but a fraction of it's shooting power. I own a D7000 and for the last year I'd been shooting in Auto. I bought several books such as "D7000 for Dummies" and for some reason I had a lot of trouble grasping different concepts like f-stop, ISO, shutter speed, etc. and how each works with one another. Arved was able to dumb everything down to a level that a primary school student could understand and he had me shooting Manual in no time. On top of the technicalities, Arved transformed how I thought about taking photos. I took several impressive shots where I would have previously been completely oblivious of the angles or setup in the scene. I was taught how to prep your camera for a scene or shot, what modes to use when you need to take a quick picture on the fly with little or no preparation time, and what lenses would be appropriate for different situations (telephoto, wide angle, fixed lenses, etc). As others mentioned before, if you are wanting and willing, Arved will walk you all over Venice and through many enchanting areas that you may have overlooked had you been out on your own. Arved showed up with a Canon camera but you would have thought he'd been shooting with my Nikon for years. He was extremely knowledgeable on all of its functions and settings, and right from the start he began solving problems I'd been struggling with for months (like setting up and adjusting the autofocus settings). I was a little worried about the weather because it was rather cloudy out, but like any pro, Arved was able to make the best of any setting, opening up my eyes to the fact that every different weather scenario should be seen as a photo opportunity or lesson. I'm sure a sunny day would have brought up many different topics such as how to avoid shadows, etc. After spending the day with Arved, I will never shoot in Auto ever again.

Tourism: With regards to the tourism part, Arved is an extremely interesting person who is very friendly and easy to get along with. Sometimes a tour alone can be ruined if you don't enjoy the guide, but I honestly felt like I'd known Arved for years and that I was simply catching up with a good friend while he showed me "his city'' and his passion for photography. Arved has been living in and shooting Venice for years now, so he knows all of the best spots for photos, lunch, a caffe, etc. Many of these places you would most likely never find on your own, except by accident, because they are so far off the beaten path. For those who have never been to Venice, you will see that while it is a very easy city to walk, for some reason as much as you may try to get "off the beaten path," it can become very maze-like, where all routes seem continually to take you back to the main tourist areas. Arved will definitely help you find those fantastic spots that you never new existed in this city that, quite honestly, is a photographer's dream. Even after the tour, I was still taking his dinner recommendations which resulted in a fantastic meal to finish off my day.

I recommend doing this trip while you can, and to do the whole day simply because a day is coming very soon where Arved will probably be very famous for his photography, and he may not have time to do one-on-one sessions like these. Think of it as being able to attend a one-on-one basketball training camp with Michael Jordan because Michael simply hasn't signed with Nike yet. If you cannot do the full day Arved is very accommodating to personal goals and timelines. If you don't own an expensive camera, don't worry, I believe Arved's knowledge is so extensive that he will help you improve greatly with whatever equipment you have.

Thanks again Arved for all the help, taking my skills to the next level, and making my trip to Venice a memorable one. As I mentioned on the tour, please stay in touch and you and your girlfriend are always welcome to visit Naples. Take care and good luck with your career!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 9, 2013

About 12 hours before heading to the airport for Italy, I discovered that I had an open day in Venice and thought about booking a photo tour. Despite the time difference, I was able to quickly make arrangements with Arved and finalize the details via e-mail.

Our tour was supposed to start at St. Mark's but we got their late. Big mistake to take Vaporetto! Talk about the slow boat to San Marco. Anyways, we were able to meet up later in the morning and were off on our adventure. Arved took us on a walking tour throughout Venice. Along our journey, he offered some exercises and tips on how to best capture the beauty and character of Venice. For example, he had us shoot directly into the sun, which I would never ordinarily do. But, by adjusting the exposure compensation, we got some nice silhouettes. After each exercise, Arved would review and critique our photos (thanks for digital photography!) as well as let us see how he captured the scene. It's not snap a pic and I'm done, but a constant iterative process to see if we could adjust the aperture, point of view, or exposure to take an even better photo.

Our tour ended at San Marco, where the sunset was absolutely glorious. For a guided tour of Venice with valuable photography instruction, Arved was awesome. An enthusiastic A+ experience.

1  Thank Ken C