“Good hotel for a short stay”

Hotel Locanda Gaffaro
Ranked #234 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We visted Venice in November 2010 and stayed at the hotel for two nights. The location was great as it was only a 3 minute walk from the Piazzale Roma (main bus terminal) and all the main touristy places were within 20 mins walking distance. I say 20 minutes but given all the small winding paths your journey may take longer if you get lost!! You only have to go over 1 bridge to get to the hotel from the Piazzale Roma so there is no issue with having to drag all your bags up and down lots of stairs.

The rooms themselves were a good size and certainly had a traditional Venetian theme to them. The hotel had recently been refurbished and was to a good standard. The bathroom was clean and had a good power shower with bedding and towels being replaced everyday.

The only draw back I would say about the room was that it was advertised as having Saterlite Tv. This however just means the only channel in English is CNN. I know its not a deal breaker but it is a nice option to have a TV to watch if the weather is bad and your confined to the room.

Breakfast was very basic, coffee/tea, a coissant and a couple of bread rolls and that was it.

The staff were friendly and spoke quite good English and made a few suggestions of what we could do since the weather was so bad!

All in all a good hotel for the price we paid (111 euro for 2 nights). If you're just looking for a base to drop your things off and explore Venice then this would be a great place to stop and I would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 5, 2011

Room very small but adequate and clean.
Bathroom small but beautifully renovated and very modern.
No breakfast room – breakfast served on a tray in the room – not convenient and breakfast just adequate, although more coffee would have been welcome.
Reception appears to be in the adjacent hotel – we were not told this and only found out when I needed to speak to the proprietor to settle our bill and was obliged to use my mobile phone to call the mobile number given on the gate to contact him. (if you dial from the phone in the room it rings in the entrance to Locanda Gaffaro where there are no staff available to answer it)
Be careful which device you use the supplied wifi password on, as this will only work on one device and a second password for another device was refused.
Left early, 7am, on last day – no breakfast available and no discount given for this.
Didn’t find the mini-bar in the room.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2010

After arriving from the flight from hell via Ryan Air ( never flying them again ) I arrived at this wonderful little hotel in the heart of Venezia. Greeted with a caring smile as I looked like I just escaped from hell at 1am in the morning.
Breakfast in bed resurrected my vacation to the bliss it had been.
The hotel has a wonderful little patio to have breakfast and read at in the afternoon.
Th showers are a tiny but that is something that never bothered me in fact it was always a great laugh in the morning.
The location is perfect for what every you wish to see.
I will return there on my next visit.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2010

One thing we expected at Venice, bridges, one thing we didn't expect about those bridges, there are no ramps to pull you suitcase over. So we had to carry our very heavy suitcases up and down bridges on our way to the hotel. (there is no way to avoid it) And good news about this hotel, it is very close, only two bridges to drag our luggage from Piazza Roma where water bus stops, and it was not very far to walk to St Mark sq from the hotel either. It was at a quiet corner, no noise at all. Excellent breakfast served to our room with delicious croissant (warm ones!), great cappuccino by a very nice lady. We had a triple room with three person in and the space are pretty big for a Europe hotel. All in all, good hotel for our fun time in Venice

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The location is great for access from the main train/bus station in Venice - only a 5 minute walk. It's tucked away out of the main tourist area which is great, but easy access to transport or 15-20 min walk to the main square.
The hotel itself is fairly basic. We got a 'discount rate' off lastminute.com of 100E/night. Venice is expensive and you get what you pay for - in this case a fairly basic old hotel, thin walls (take earplugs or don't expect to sleep in), one of the hardest beds in Italy and (surprisingly) the worst coffee we experienced in 3 weeks in Italy. But you can always walk 2 minutes to a local place and get a coffee and croissant, and the staff are very friendly (gruff but mostly helpful owner) and happy to advise.
Cleanliness - ok, just don't look too closely. The toilet brush was FILTHY but hidden away. If you're not too fussy, it's good basic accomodation for the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Me and my husband were on our honeymoon and our first stop was Venice. The location is perfect, not far from the train station and 10min walk from San Marco and all other main interests. But it is far enough from all the noise and the tourists. Quiet at nights. There are nice places to have dinner near by.
We were greated with a bottle of champaign and our room was very neat and charming. The bathroom was excellent.
It is a small and tidy hotel. The breakfast was average but satisfactory.

I'd come back to this hotel when I am in Venice again :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2010

If you are romantic but still love comfort you are wellcome to Hotel Locanda Gaffaro!
Antique venetian interior, high level hospitality, clear and comfortable rooms, intelligent and good looking staff. What do you want more? Would you like to see a real venetian signore? You must meet the owner of the hotel - Piero.Are you convinced? As for me I am planning my new trip to bella Venecia on May 2011. Do you know where I will stay?

Gurevich family,Canada.