“A must have, when in Venice”
Review of La Mela Verde

La Mela Verde
Ranked #7 of 86 Dessert in Venice
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Castello
Description: My GELATO is made daily with fresh high-quality ingredients like milk, fresh fruit, pistachios from Sicily, Piedmont hazelnuts IGP, vanilla bourbon and the best cocoa blends for a fantastic dark chocolate. Every single product is choose and selected to offer the best high-quality GELATO, this is my prerogative and the secret of my success. Enjoy it ;)
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Had a double gelato cone each, it was great. So many varieties and we both a different one. The gelato is so creamy and reasonable priced. We both wished we'd had a triple. Had ice cream all over our faces, joy, just how it should be. It's a pity there are no seating outside overlooking the canal as it would have been great to have relaxed eating the gelato and watching the world go by.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My 7 year old son had a Gelato from some generic Gelato stand in Venice and it not only tasted terrible, but it melted all over his hand and arm within 5-10 mins. and it was not hot outside at all. I asked some people why and they said most Gelatos in Venice are made with powder and water in a money-saving effort, instead of milk, cream and fresh ingredients.

I inquired as to where the best Gelato is in Venice and was told LaMela Verde. Checked it out and it was INCREDIBLE !! The ambience of the store is clean, quaint and bright; the staff was cheerful and very pleasant. Davida, the owner, is very friendly and a wonderful guy to talk to and makes all the Gelato fresh each day with fresh ingredients (he even buys fresh basil from a local grower). He gave me and my son a tour of his shop, showed us the fresh cantaloupe he had just cut for his next concoction and gave my son a baseball cap.

Some of the flavors we tried were: Basil, Mint and Lemon; Pistacchio; Amarena; Chocolate; Stracciatella; Peach Sorbet (out of this world; you could see the tiny specks of fresh peaches throughout) and about 15 others that he let us taste, but unfortunately I can't remember what they were. I do, however, remember that they were all EXCELLENT, unique and tasted FRESH and I had a difficult time deciding which flavors to chose !!!!!!

Easy to find. Next to the Greek church, a short walk from St. Marks Square. Very much worth the effort to go here as opposed to just getting a Gelato that you pass by somewhere out of convenience. Do yourself a favor and eat Gelato here. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. In fact, you will never again eat the cheaply made stuff anywhere else in Venice; you WILL make the trip to LaMela Verde because you know it will be worth it. Davida told me a funny story that people ove his Gelato so much that 2 employees he knows that work at other, nearby Gelato shops only eat his Gelato and refuse to eat the Gelato where they work !!!!

Note: Davida charges about the same as all of the other Gelato vendors (within a few cents), so there is no reason to eat the fake stuff.

Tell him Kory and AJ from Austria say hello !!!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Kory T
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stopped by La Mela Verde for gelato and had the most refreshing gelato in Venice. We were exhausted from touring around the city in the heat and were looking for something to quench our thirst. I asked for a sample of their lemon, mint and basil gelato and I was hooked. It was the best gelato we have had on our two week trip to Italy! The shop was stumbled upon and not located along the Grande Canal, but it is definitely worth the effort. The price is very reasonable too! We leave town tomorrow and our last place to eat before boarding the train will be here for gelato.

1  Thank wkghound
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Hands down the best Gelato in Venice. We went there a couple times on our and walked away filled with joy.

They make a different flavor everyday that is filled with candy. We had an amazing Kit-Kat Gelato that was the best Gelato we had on our two week trip.

1  Thank Keith R
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Went here because of the reviews on Trip advisor and wasn't disappointed. So glad we tried this place. My whole family agrees this was the best gelato in we had in Venice. Actually, even better than the gelato we had in Florence too!