“This is the best hostel in Venice!”

Generator Hostel Venice
Ranked #6 of 226 Specialty Lodging in Venice
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I met many people staying at other hostels in Venice and they all hated their hostels. Mine was perfect! They are recently renovated and have this really quircky atmosphere. Lots of cool people there. Rooms are very clean. Beautiful view of the city when your outside. Yeahh they're on Giudecca, but just buy the Rolling Venice card for the ferry! 18 euro for 72 hours unlimited use. You can buy it at Hello Venezia ticket offices. The staff could be a little more friendly some times, and the food could have more veggies. But this is definitely the best hostel in Venice!

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is the most luxurious hostel we've ever stayed at - beautiful. We stayed in a 6 bed private ensuite room (as 2 adults and 4 children). It actually had 7 beds, all new and clean and comfortable - absolutely ideal for families. Our room had a perfect view over the lagoon to St Mark's Square. We kept the curtains open all night and woke up to this amazing view. We felt so privileged!

We were very grateful for the great shower after having travelled overnight from Paris, for being able to check in at 1pm (and leave luggage before then), and for the effective air conditioning which added a really good night's sleep.

Location-wise it is fine - though it does mean taking a water bus two stops over to St Mark's (or two stops the other direction to Zaterre for icecream). This does mean that it is essential to buy a pass for the water bus, which cost our family about €150 for 36 hours. This really does add to the cost of the trip, which could be avoided by staying somewhere on the main island as you can then walk back to the train station, etc, but it also adds to the uniqueness of visiting the city (and the trip back to the Station from the St Mark's Square in the morning on a quiet boat justified the expense on its own).

We only used the bar for a quick drink in the evening (which we took out to the quayside) and didn't stay for breakfast as we'd been warned it would be very busy. There's a great take-out pizza shop a couple of doors away and a little supermarket towards the water bus stop, plus several small restaurants.

The wifi worked for us - I can see from other reviews that it can be tempermental at best - and was free.

The only reservation to do with the design of the hostel is that there are glass windows high up on the walls between the rooms. From the top bunk it would not be difficult to look through these, which could be a family room or male room through to a female room. And the only other reservtion was that, as earlier reviewers have commented, other than the first person we spoke to at the bar, the staff weren't particularly welcoming or helpful. But we didn't require much assistance in this beautiful place, so this did not detract from our wonderful visit. Next time we'll stay for longer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CambridgeFriends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've stayed there with my girlfriend in the 19th of July and it was really cool. We've stayed in a shared room with 5 beds, everything is well cleaned, the beds are really comfortable, you don't ear outside noise and the only thing they missed was the pillow (is not included) but it didn't stop us from resting all night.

The bar is really great, good decoration, great staff and great activities too.

I strongly recommend this place to anyone who wants to visit Venice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is recently renovated, so the lobby looks more like the lobby of a nicer, modern hotel than a hostel. My room only had five beds, which was nice, and the bathrooms we pretty good. The location is ok, you need to take the boat-bus to get to the main part of Venice. I personally did not notice anything wrong with the Internet, but some of the people staying in my room couldn't get on.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed at the Generator in Venice for one night at the beginning of July. It had only just opened a couple of weeks before I arrived, and it had been re-furbished nicely. The décor was more like a hotel than a hostel. The rooms were very nice too (and clean)! Plug socket and light built into every bed which is always a nice thing to have. Reception staff seemed helpful when I needed to ask questions. The location was great, I loved being able to see Venice from the hostel. The only downside is that the wi-fi was down.. however this is somewhat forgiveable as they had only opened a couple of weeks before and I understand that they were probably still getting things off the ground. Room wasn't that cheap for a hostel, but you are in Venice after all. Would recommend to a friend.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was there 3 days and I can say it is the most unpersonal hostel I´ve ever seen and it´s not my first time in a hostel, I have even worked in many of them.

Pros:
-Situation. It´s situated in Giuddeca, easily reached with the Vaporetto from the train station or St. Marco Square. One trip costs like 7€, so it´s better to buy a one-, two-, three-day ticket.
-Breakfast: For the money you pay it is ok. You have bread, cheese, ham, butter, marmelades, coffee, tee, juices, cereals, water... for 3.50€
-The beds: they are comfortable and not noisy. You have some kind of intimacy.
-The hostel is new, recently renovated.

Cons:
-Lack of information: I checked-in and the receptionist gave me the key of my room. That was all, no map, no kind of information about the facilities (if there is a breakfast, laundary, internet....) NOTHING.

-Bathrooms are too small and there are just 4 showers for a lot of rooms (most of them were dorms with 10-14 beds). There is a light sensor and when you are having a shower the light switches off. There is no place where you can place your stuff while you are having a shower.

-No wi-fi. I read the reviews before my stay and most of them commented this problem. I asked at the reception the third day and they said that it was a coincidence, that the internet had been working until that moment. It was not true, because I was there and it didn´t work during my stay and, according to the reviews, it has never worked. You shouldn´t treat your guests as idiots.

-The rooms are somehow interconnected, there is a kind of window in the upper part of the rooms, that means that when in the next room the light is on, you see it, specially when you are sleeping in the upper bunk.

Although the hostel has a good facilities, big bar... there is not much to do in there but sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank robertoymaria
Fabio M, Direttore at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Guests,

Firstly can I thank you for taking the time to share your views, after your departure from Generator Venice.
I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused and that you feel we have not met your expectations on this occasion.
I understand that you have ben frustrated during your stay and for this I apologise sincerely. All of these concerns and more can always be handled in house by our 24 hour duty manager, just to bear in mind if you visit again. I would also like to thank you for your constructive comments, these will go a long way in ensuring we get everything right for our guests.

If you wish to talk about any aspect of your stay further please feel free to email me at:
keti.camillo@generatorhostels.com

Regards

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The new hostel is now the Hilton of the hostels I know. Staff were brilliant and helpful. Many of the “older” ones recognised me, so I felt like going to a family place. The new public/common room is big, comfortable, a/c and there is always space and someone to talk to, so a single traveller doesn’t feel isolated. It’s good that the bar/cafe is open all day, and there is always some food to be had. The choice – understandably – is not big, but the food is tasty, fresh and good value. Drinks are fine – they have some good barmen. Rooms, (I had a shred dorm), are clean with a/c, good bedding and comfortable beds with lockers underneath. Bathrooms - clean, modern, perhaps there could have been a few more?

I had a great stay in the ostello, although as a senior I struggled a little with Venice. I had stayed there several times in the past - last year I was at Guidecca three days, but was more mobile than this year. I didn’t realise how slow I had become with arthritis. However, I had a fabulous time. The lift helped enormously, so did the friendly staff.

This time I stayed six nights. I managed to visitthe Biennale. It was my first stay in Venice during the Redentore Fiesta. Thank you for organising that great party on the Sat. 20 July. It was done with military precision. Everybody liked the meal and enjoyed the party very much. Fabulous unforgettable experience!

I'll be back soon.