“Expected this place to be much better” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Generator Hostel Venice

Generator Hostel Venice
Ranked #5 of 210 Specialty Lodging in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“Expected this place to be much better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here for a week with a friend. We were in an all girls dorm, and were given the best beds in the room, right next to the window- so can't complain about that. However, even with the window open, it was very, very hot in the room, especially on the top bunk. The bathroom, although cleaned every day, was always very cluttered with other people's belongings, which remained there long after they'd left the hostel.

The atmosphere was rather terrible. There are couches, tables and chairs all over the place and at first glance you'd expect a good vibe, but all there was were kids running everywhere and pre-teens playing drinking games on the water's edge in front of the hostel. No kitchen of any sort but you can pay for a overpriced breakfast (not even good), and I think dinner as well.

The staff were okay, except that they got really irritating when they kept on saying that the 'wifi doesn't work but we're working on it'. Obviously it isn't their fault, but clearly, no one was working on fixing the problem. I actually felt sorry for the staff having to face all the people demanding wifi, but since their website says they have it, then they really should have. Quite honestly we'd probably have picked a more expensive place if we'd known there'd be no wifi here.

Location was good, we had a week pass for the vaporetto and they crossed very frequently.

All in all, it's an okay place, but definitely over priced for what you get. Although, maybe if they didn't set your expectations too high before you get there it might be passable.

Don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Fabio M, Direttore at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear aschil,

I would like to thank you for getting back to us. We really appreciate your review. It will help us improve our performance and services and make each of our guests feel part of the Generator Hostels hospitality philosophy.

As you have already noticed in your review we had just opened after an intensive period of refurbishment where we had to reorganise not only all the spaces in our hostel but also the way we work. This has undoubtedly created some problems to our guests.

I can understand how annoying the Wi-Fi connection problems may have been to you. Unfortunately it doesn’t depend on us. We had already urged the internet provider to fix it but they had some issues due to the fact that Venice is not like all other cities in the world. In fact, due to its geographical position it requires more effort and time for the internet providers to cope with technological advancement in this area.

However, we finally solved the problem and managed to get the latest Wi-Fi connection. Now our guests can have the best and most updated Wi-Fi connection in the area.

I have also shared your review with Generator Hostel Venice staff. I can assure you that they are doing their best to fix them and make sure we meet your expectation next time you visit us.
Waiting to see you again in our hostel!

Keti Camillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The staff were rude and never wrong. The lift broke down a few days. They had no idea how t make a 'toastie' unless you count for a soggy sliced bread with melted cheese stuck to a black serviette.Go somewhere near station.It felt uncomfortable.Unkind.Some reviews on Hi Hostels of this were old.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Eggtimer186225
Dear Guest,

I wanted to thank you for your review. You probably stepped in our hostel in the period after the general refurbishment and organization when we were still trying to do our best and, as you say, try to “get our act together”.

In fact, we are doing our best to meet our guests’ expectations and make sure they feel at home with us.

I would like to ask you to give us another chance to show you that all our efforts are committed to the improvement of our services and the overcoming of the problems generated by the general refurbishment.

I would like to take the chance to thank you once more for getting back to us.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here 2 weeks after it reopened after renovations. Very disorganized, in my opinion they shouldn't have been open yet. From the outside you can't even tell that it's the right place, it says something different. We walked in and there was construction stuff everywhere, people's bags strewn about the entrance because they didn't have any luggage storage yet. We weren't even sure it was the right place until we asked. The staff weren't the greatest, it was 50/50. Some didn't speak English, or care about you at all, and others were friendly.
They DON'T have wifi, because they haven't got it set up yet, which is ridiculous for people backpacking. Especially in Venice where there is literally no where to go to get free wifi. They don't do anything to compensate for that either. They still charge you for breakfast, and have overpriced rooms. They say, yeah, no wifi, sorry, and turn around.

It's located on a little island across from the mainland, so you have to take the waterbus each way, which is 7 euros each time you take it, or a discount pass which is still expensive (30 euros for 48 hours).

The only good thing is that it was very clean because of recent renovations, storage lockers are big and under the bed, and ensuite bathrooms.

Strange atmosphere... there was a bar, but kids hanging around on the couches beside it... looked like an elementary school group or something.

I'm sure once they get their act together, this will be a great hostel. But for now I will just say.. go find somewhere less expensive/on the mainland. Because of my negative experience I would not reccomend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ktskinns
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. As you stress in your review we had just reopened after a period of reconstruction. We are really sorry for all the inconveniences this situation may have caused to you.

We are working really hard to make sure we fix them in order to offer our guests the best hostel service in town.

What we aim is not only our guests’ expectations but also the highest hospitality standards set by Generator Hostels.

I would like to ask you to give us another chance by visiting us next time you are in town and see with your own eyes all the improvements to our service.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me for any suggestion you may have: keti.camillo@generatorhostels.com

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I have to say the place has been fixed to look really nice and modern but they just don't care at all about you.
First I didn't get any directions to get from the train station. I had to send 3 emails asking and at the end I had to manage myself to get there (and the directions are really simple but quite difficult to get). Once I got there they just took the money and trowed the card-key to my face. Didn't even point me to my room. I had to ask to get a map and they just gave me a small print with no street names nor interest points. They didn't gave any advice at all about how to move around and when I asked if the boat (the only and pricey way to go to the city) worked all night they said it did. They did not mention that the only line they tell you about stops working at midnight, but there's a different one you can take.
Also:
?The WiFi does NOT work at all. They know it and don't plan to do anything about it.
?Just a few barhrooms for overcrowded dorms.
?Dinner is a rip off (thry charged my friend ?6 for a small square of dry chiquen with no sides at all).
If you're a girl with a cleavege you will get a few smiles from the employees at least.
Would NOT come here again.

2 Thank Geco F
Fabio M, Manager at Generator Hostel Venice, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Ktskinns

Thank you for you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I am sorry to hear that we've not matched the expectation.

I do take notice of all your comments, and it will be great of you could get in touch with me by email on keti.camillo@generatorhostels.com.

Kind regards
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Would have liked more if the wifi was working.
Breakfast not included
Fairly nice rooms, with lockers/locks included.
The rooms were small, but beds are all you need I suppose.

Be aware you need to take the boats to get here as it's not in the main city island, so you should buy a 24 or 72 hour pass because you'll need at least 2 trips everyday just to get to the hostel. (Vaporetti/boat rides are 7 euro each, so the passes are worth it at around 20 euro for 24 hours)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andrew R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

This is one fab place. Having only opened two weeks ago they staff have hit the ground running and they are all smiles and super helpful. The renovations are a success - modern, stylish & eclectic. Having read past reviews, and knowing the hostel had undergone reno's, I was hoping for great changes & that seems to be the case. New matresses & walls to the ceiling now. Everything very clean. I had a view across the canal to a beautiful church. Two stops from San Marco square & not very far on the ferry to Place de Roma where the train stop & bus from the airport drops off. I took my kids & after a long day they chilled out in their room while i had a wine at the downstairs bar. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

First things first. This is a large hostel, which means groups, i.e. loud... but clearly even a small hostel requires ear plugs... nearby snoring being no less annoying than distant yelling. On the other hand, the rooms are air conditioned, a rarity in Venice for shared accommodation. Bunk beds excellent. Showers good quality. Common areas/bar/reception nearing boutique hotel standard. Lift/elevator top of the line. Laundry... etc etc

Having stayed in the old hostel back in the 'military barracks' days, I was interested to hear what one of the new managers had to say about their thinking. Talked a long time. As a seasoned solo traveller I'm not easily impressed. I liked what he said, emphasizing the importance of staff training and good design.

Travel tip. Bite the bullet. Buy a vaporetto pass. 36 hours-plus is a much better deal than 12 hours. I recommend the hostel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo