“Well-located B&B with air con!”
Review of Locanda Silva

Locanda Silva
Ranked #100 of 475 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We (4 friends) stayed here for a weekend in Venice recently. The room was 2 twin beds and a bunk with an en suite. The room was basic, but served us well, was spotlessly clean and our towels were replaced each day.

The en suite was odd, rather like a fixed unit room from a ferry, and our sink was cracked, but the water pressure was good and it did the job.

The weather was extremely hot and humid, so we were hugely grateful for powerful air con in our room, and in the reception area. Without it, our visit would have been unbearable.

Breakfast was fine - lots of drinks, cereals, yoghurts, croissants, odd little bread rolls, cheese and jams. Plentiful and hosted by a stern but efficient lady!

The real benefit of this B&B is its incredibly central location. Without paying over the odds, you would really struggle to find a better spot. The nearest vaporetto stop was about a flat 5 minute walk away, St. Mark's Square 5 minutes, Rialto Briday 5-10 minutes, and the north coast (great for getting the boat over to Murano and Burano), 20 mins walk.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ensuite room if it bothers you to walk around corridors at night to use the toi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank RachK

Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at Locanda Silva for the first time in May 2012. We have stayed at many places in Venice over the years. This is a perfect location for enjoying Venice. Behind St. Marks, on a canal, it offers a quiet sanctuary from the crowds of the square. The rooms are simple but clean. Beds are comfortable. There is no lift so might ask for a room on a lower floor. Price is very reasonable for Venice which is very expensive for all things. We would stay here again for sure. We have since recommended the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Oysterman1944
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I picked this hotel because because of the relatively good price (for Venice). The location is good because it is close to everything yet set back on a side street so there is very little noise from outside. We got a room at the back with no view and no in-room bathroom which was still okay because I got the room at a reduced rate because of this. The shower was right across the hall from our room and the toilets were down the hall. Not a big inconvenience. I think we were the only ones using the shower or toilets. The double bed was 2 singles pushed together but thats quite common in Europe. It was quite noisy when people would wak down the hallway. Perhaps the door had a gap at the bottom which let in the noise. And there were noisy birds (pigeons? doves?) cooing outside our window every morning which would wake us up. The breakfast was allright. What I did notice at this hotel which differed from all the other hotels I stayed at in Italy was the staff. No one was particularly friendly-the front desk staff or the breakfast staff. They weren't rude, just indifferent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Having read the reviews I was tempted to try and book elsewhere, which that would have been a great mistake as my visit was fine. The location of the Hotel is fantastic, and they send you a map with their location clearly marked and the route to take from the water bus (though if you can't read a map you may well get lost!). I was greeted by friendly staff every day, and was never woken up by the maid, though if you intend to sleep later than 9.30 am you may well be. I had a great room, with a window looking down onto one of the canals. I would definitely stay at Locanda Silva again.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank J B
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The hotel was ok. Can't really describe it as anything else! Definitely take a map with you to find it as we just had the address and had to stop in a restaurant where a kind waiter called them to find out where they were, we then still took another 15 mins or so to find it!!!

I have to say the location of the hotel is its absolute saving grace, couldn't ask for much better.

The staff were ok, the room was ok (I suppose a little dingy, not 100% clean and of course sharing a bathroom wasn't ideal) We didn't have to wait for the bathroom which was good but it was a little hairy inside! Overnight the hotel was quiet but both mornings we were awoken early by the maid, and then all the other guests passing by the room and talking, they might as well have been in the room with us!

If you don't like carrying your own luggage up stairs then don't stay here. We didn't mind and there weren't that many stairs, plus we had seen from other reviews that there was no lift so we didn't have any expectatons in that sense.

Breakfast was ok, the banana yoghurt was questionable and like others have said the coffee wouldn't win any awards!

I would say this hotel is overpriced for what it is but then you have to consider that you're in an amazingly located hotel in Venice and that is what you pay for.

I would possibly stay here again if I couldn't find anything that was more value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2012

This hotel has a good location in Venice and very decent accommodations for the price.

The one quirk was that when booking the room, we specifically asked for a special 10% off promotion that we read about in a guide book. The hotel booked us, but at checkout time, they requested full price. When asked about the discount, the wispy-haired gentleman behind the counter told us that he couldn't give us the discount because it must be requested ahead of time and besides, he'd already charged our card. We told him very kindly that we did request the discount ahead of time and that he should check his e-mail records and besides, he can refund the payment to the card and request another. The gentleman said he didn't have any record of the request. We pulled up our e-mail exchange and showed it to him. At this point, the gentleman knew he was constrained by the truth and had to oblige, but he was visibly upset and started slamming drawers and angrily shuffling the various papers on his desk. He nearly destroyed the hotel's only stapler. When we handed him an American Express card, he abruptly declined to process it. Finally, after an awkward emotionally-charged moment that lasted what seemed like a lifetime, he accepted a Visa payment, we thanked him and were on our way. I will forever carry with me the feeling of shame that the wispy-haired gentleman instilled in me for not letting Hotel Locanda Silva take advantage of me and my 28 euro, which in the end, probably also cost them a stapler and a few broken drawers.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jake11222
Reviewed March 1, 2012

But you get what you pay for. I live in Europe and have for almost a decade, so I take things with a grain of salt. Venice is ridiculously expensive and not particularly tourist friendly, but every new family member that comes "has" to go. So we go. This place is fine for the price. The location is wonderful. At least the rooms have AC. Breakfast is weak at best, but there is plenty better within a short walk and, seriously, if you've come to Venice and then saved by staying here, go splurge on a coffee and pastry in Pza San Marco. Get out. I do agree with several writers who noted teh cleaning was not very good. I was disappointed in that. Beds were poor. The walk upstairs, I expected. The surly service I expect in Venice. but I paid the night before so I could just drop the key and walk early morning. And I had 7 family members with me. But the savings here allowed us to hit Venice (have I mentioned I don't like Venice) and then go to the REAL Italy and splurge in Rome, Naples, Amalfi, Tuscany, etc.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family