“Nice Room, Great Location, Shared Bathroom”
Review of Locanda Silva

Locanda Silva
Ranked #98 of 473 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Once we found the hotel within the twists and turns... we had a nice room with a shared bathroom. The shared bathroom was the only turn off otherwise it was a great hotel, very conveniently located within steps of Piazza di San Marco. The hotel allowed us to leave our bags there after check-out while we wondered around Venice. Hard to sleep because there was no A/C and we had to leave the window open. Great price for location.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed November 6, 2011

IMPORTANT NOTE to TripAdvisor readers: Prior to booking this hotel, I had read the very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor before booking this hotel, and decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Boy, was that a mistake!! Believe me, anything above a "Poor" ranking for this hotel is completely undeserved, and those reviews should be disregarded... I made the mistake of not seriously considering the reviews with low rankings. There are only two positive things I can say for this hotel: it's proximity to St. Marks Square and air conditioning; however, there are plenty of other hotels in the same area that would be a much more suitable choice than Locanda Silva.

Locanda Silva was the second stop on our very first family trip to Europe. We were greeted by a cold and unfriendly concierge who actually seemed to be put-out that we disturbed him from whatever he was doing on the computer. There is no lift, so if you have a lot of luggage be prepared for a workout (and no offer of help from the concierge).

The beds were very uncomfortable (my daughter described hers as "awful! I could have slept on a rock better than that!"). I have no idea what the pillows were filled with... they were the most lumpy, hard pillows I've ever experienced (I was tempted to open one up to see if they were filled with rolled-up old socks).

The beds were made-up every day by the cleaning staff, but the rooms were not cleaned; this was particularly noticeable in the bathroom. The cleaning staff also turned off the air conditioning every day, so we would return to a hot, stuffy room in the evening.

The breakfast was awful. The coffee was terrible, the roll was dry and hard, the "hot" chocolate that was made for the kids was not even mixed properly and was barely lukewarm. The one lady in the breakfast room wouldn't let our family sit by the window.

They do not have a concierge at the desk 24hrs, and therefore you cannot checkout in the morning before 8am when the concierge is SUPPOSED to arrive at work. The day we left, the concierge "missed his boat" so was late getting to work, and no-one else was able to take our payment. We had a morning flight, so needless to say, this added extra stress to our departure.

I've read the review by "AnnieLennox" on 28 September 2011 and agree with most of her review. Although Locanda Silva is not the absolute worst hotel we've ever stayed in, it ranks right among the bottom and we will never stay here again, nor would we ever recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank ScottandSusan
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This hotel was beautifully located in the heart of Venice, very close to Piazza San Marco and the Rialto bridge. Great price for Venice. Service was adequate, but not overly friendly or helpful. Breakfast (included) was quite nice. I had a single room on the third floor with a small balcony overlooking a canal. Bathroom and shower down the hall, but never had to wait for either. I would recommend if you want value.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank marym420
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Low price for Venice. Only stayed two nights. I got the cheapest possible room, shared shower and toilet with sink in the room. Only once had to wait about 5 minutes to get into the shower.

I picked up pizza and beer or donner kebab at the closest shop and ate on a little balcony on the landing both nights. View was only of other people's laundry, but it was outside.There was a nice living space on the floor below and pay computers, but I did not try them.

The place is hard to find but that's just the way it is in Venice. Print out the hotel directions and get a good map. Show it to people when you ask for help. Even rival inn-keepers will walk you to the canal if you ask politely. It is a great location once you get comfortable with where you are.

Not much help or support from front desk, but they were polite on check-in. Breakfast was ample and the breakfast room was pleasant.

The whole Venice experience was only ok for me, The trip to Murano was a highlight and I enjoyed seeing the Doge's Palace, but mostly Venice seems like a dirty little Disneyland with souvenir shops and canals.

Murano glass makes great souvenirs and a trip to the island is well worth your time. Stop on the cemetery island on the way back for a bit of peaceful contemplation.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank 2manydogs
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Venice-charming and adorable place, unique in the world. Locanda silva -disgusting, dirty and inhospitable place, also..unique in (my) world. I paid £200 for that stay and it was such a low value that nothing can make it better. At least if staff behaved in more polite manner, then maybe you could say something good about this place.
Arrived very tired, trying to find this place for 1.5 hours and did not get even ''hi'' on reception. Very quiet and inhospitable Asian girl gave us a key to our room and said that we are to come back before 3am cause hotel is closed. That all the information she gave us. How unprofessional. I guess a nice phrase-''enjoy your stay'' or something like that would suffice. I think I know why she didn't say anything. I understood as soon as I entered the room. It was a small, dark and smelly TWIN room. (I booked double as traveling with husband). We were really tired and didn’t want to talk to Asian girl at the desk about this mistake. I bet she would not do anything about it with her attitude toward guests.
The only good thing about this room was that it was quiet at night. Beds were soft and old, looked like hospital beds. I assume they had some bugs living in them cause we were bitten. It weren't mosquitoes cause my husband fought them all evening and got rid of all of them. Also they provided some cheap mosquito repellent for the room to plug in. On the morning of next day we went to have breakfast at 7:30 and very angry looking Asian maid (probably mother of receptionist) showed us to our table with a finger. She brought some stale coffee (worst coffee experience in Italy) and hard buns with some jelly and stale croissant. There were some yoghurts (very bad taste) and some sweets on the buffet. All inedible. I am not picky at all-check my other reviews. After such an experience I can frankly say that it was worst breakfast I had in years. Another such upsetting experience was in Ukraine years ago.
We met owner of this establishment. She never said hello or smiled. She didn't look at you when spoken to. Very rude and inhospitable Italian lady. Many times I had to go back to room after leaving key with her, cause I forgot to take map with me, and she gave me such a horrible look that I will never forget to take map again.
We paid on night before we left, total rip off. Never again.

Room Tip: never stay here
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnnieLennox
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I was in Venice for the 2011 Carnevale. I arrived to Venice via train and walked to San Marco because I wanted to see the city and I didn't have much luggage.
I was amazed to discover how close Locanda Silva was to San Marco. Only a 2min walk!

It was recommended by Rick Steves' Italy guide book. It was beautifully located over one of the canals and my room on the 3rd floor had the most amazing view (i requested a view when I booked the room months earlier).
The hotel is very nice, clean, quiet, safe, with great staff.
Catia and Sandra were wonderful. Very accommodating and nice.
Breakfast (included) was great. Fresh bread (you can small it when you wake up).
My room was nice, clean and simple but designed beautifully. It had a sink, but the bathroom and shower are down the hall. It was my choice though in order to save money and it was worth it. Never had lines, even though they were completely full. You can go for a room with a bath if you prefer.

Overall, great experience here and I strongly recommend it. But you need to book it as much in advance as possible to get a really good price.
Advice: if you stay for 3-4 nights you will get a better deal.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My wife, 16 yr old son and I spent one night at Locanda Silva after finishing a cruise in early September 2011. We stayed in a triple room with three single beds. The room had an extremely small a/c, that was not very efficient. We did not have a TV. Although it was spartan (no frills) our 4th floor room was clean and safe. The hotel had a PC and sold internet minutes for a reasonable charge. Continental breakfast was included. The location was good as advertised, and fairly near lots of sights and restaurants. The lady at the desk during the day was very helpful in giving us directions and explaining how to get to the airport via Alialaguna water taxis. The hotel did not have an elevator. My son counted 73 steps to our upstairs room. One final note, try not to encumber yourself with more than one suitcase in Venice as it is at times very difficult to drag suitcases, bags, etc over so many steps and bridges. Also, we'd heard water taxis charge extra for bags but we never experienced it. We paid $205.19 US for our room, which is high, but perhaps not that high by Venetian standards.

Room Tip: If you want a private bath, be sure to ask for it
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family