“Doesn't look like a 3 star hotel”
Review of Locanda Canal

Locanda Canal
Ranked #274 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

What was bad:
The bed wasn't too comfortable. The blanket was kinda rough. The breakfast had very few options and they weren't very good. You have to climb stairs every time to reach your room, since the "elevador" they have is not really usable.

What was good:
The receptionists were quite nice. They would always help us with all the information we needed. They also took our luggage up and down the stairs. The hotel is actually inside the city instead of close to it.

All in all it was way less then what we were expecting, but given how expensive it is to stay inside Venice it wasn't that bad.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel T

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I was in room 108, overlooking a picturesque canal and with its own balcony. I was very impressed with the room, granted it is Europe small, but perfect for me (a solo traveler) or for 2. If you don't have GPS it can be a bit hard to find but everything in Venice can be that way. But I do have GPS and pre-programed it in and when I got off at the Rialto stop I went right to it where the night manager quickly checked me in. Its location perfect, close to anywhere you may want to go. The room and the hotel was very clean and tidy. I stayed for 3 nights. All the staff that I interacted with were very professional and helpful. When your in Venice don't expect to spend a lot of time in your room but it will be a welcome sight at the end of a long day. I will not hesitate to stay there again on a return trip to Venice nor will I hesitate to recommend it to anyone else. I was very well taken care of while I was there.

Room Tip: Room 108 has its own balcony with a view of a canal.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Don H
Reviewed December 9, 2013

It was a little hard to find the hotel at first but it is in a great location close to San Marco Square. The room was fairly large and overlooking the canal. Breakfast was very good and replenished frequently. Staff speak very little English but are helpful. When we asked for a restaurant recommendation, the reception person closed the doors and took us to his friends restaurant. It wasn't great but he was helpful. Room was clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Room was just OK. No evaluator, so prepare to carry your bags up the stairs. Breakfast was not very good. Location was not great. Hard to find this hotel once you leave the water taxi.
No English speaking TV channels, and no help in trying to find one for us.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

On arriving at the hotel we were greeted well by the manager, signed in then we were given our key, we went up to the first floor (all rooms are on this floor). Our room number was 103, I can only describe it as a prison cell, small and dark with a small window looking out onto a narrow walkway and a brick wall. The furniture was very battered and dated and in need of being replaced. I asked could we be moved or pay a supplement to upgrade the room, to which I was told from England you pay for a standard room and that is what you get. As the hotel has a sister hotel I asked could we be moved to there we were happy to pay, but were told that was booked for other foreign visitors. after two nights we looked for a flight to come home early as it was like a prison sentence, especially as I was not well. We had to go out just so that we didn't fee like a prisoner in the tiny room. The bathroom was tiny with no space even for a toilet bag, the bath towels were left on top of the bidet, not pleasant. Breakfast was adequate but you had to wait for a table as there were only four tables of two, which caused a problem if all 8 rooms came out together. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone regardless of the fact that it was near to St Marc's square.

Room Tip: Don't go there it's not good.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank moseley97
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Everything is pretty old and small in Venice, but little things make a difference. New carpet and bedding would make this place so much better. On the minus side: The hotel ran out of clean towels and gave us hand towels to use for showering. The shower and bathroom were very, very small by American standards, and even pretty small compared to all of the other places we stayed on the Continent. There is nowhere to store luggage if you arrive early or are leaving late. We had to leave our things just out in the common sitting room. The wifi was awful. No reception in the rooms and shoddy reception in the sitting area. On the plus side: The staff was friendly. There was a nice little breakfast each morning that was included in the price. The location was a little difficult to find on arriving, but really is superb. Very quiet spot. Rooms are air conditioned. Affordable compared to most other places.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days in the heat of August 2013. First of all, Venice is a difficult city to navigate through. Get a map before you come here, and make sure you have some Euros in cash before you arrive in the middle of St.Marcus Square. That being said; here's the hotel:

When we arrived the manager was at his other hotel to welcome arriving guests there. So we had to call him and tell him we were waiting outside a locked hotel. He said he would be back in 10-15 mins, but we waited for about 30. When he arrived there were other tourists also waiting to check in to the hotel.

After checking in the rest was okey. The rooms are clean, the size of both the room, bathroom and bed is alright. The bed is comfortable. Bidét is commonly used in Italy, and one might think this uses bathroomspace better used for something else, but I think this counts for all the hotels.

The breakfast buffet is served by a nice italian mama. The breakfast is included in the price and it is okey. It has different breads, boiled eggs, marmelade, youghurt, cereal, milk, juice and coffee.

The best thing about this hotel is definitely the location. It is 5 minutes from St. Marcus Square and it is located on the "right side", meaning it's not placed along the Grand Canal but in the smaller more cosy canals. This is also the area where you wanna do the gondoltour. It's nice and intimate. The hotel is absolutely affordable given the location.

I would recommend it anytime and I'd say it is value for money. But don't expect to arrive at a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple