“Eh, what more do you want?”
Review of Locanda Canal

Locanda Canal
Ranked #301 of 385 Hotels in Venice
New York City, New York
“Eh, what more do you want?”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I paid $90/night for a hotel on a quiet street in the middle of Venice. It's a tiny hotel. So services are limited. But breakfast every morning was nice. The bed was pretty tough. And I only had one pillow. But again...$90/night in the middle of Venice...not so bad.

I overheard an argument while I was there with the front desk and a couple who were being asked to change rooms because another couple was arriving that day and had request in advance the room that overlooked the canal. I sympathized with that couple. Changing rooms in the middle of your stay is a pain in the neck. But then again, it's a tiny hotel. So what can you do? And it's not the end of the world.

I was traveling alone. Had I been with my partner, maybe that would have complicated things, as the room was tiny and the bed a bit uncomfortable.

Anyway, book this hotel if you're interested in paying a nice rate for a clean hotel that maybe might change your room in the middle of your visit. But again...$90 a night!

Room Tip: Ask for the canal view! It's a tiny canal. But it's still a nice view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 26, 2012

A typical little old Italian hotel. The room we had had a large roomy bathroom, high ceilings and good breakfast.
To get there, (Aquire a street map)
From airport Marco Polo, take the water taxi to San Marco, 15 euros each and takes about an hour. Get off and turn Right and walk about 100 metres then enter San Marco on your left and stop to oooh and aaah then proceed over to the far right corner. It has a money exchange on one corner and a American snack bar on the other. Go up the lane, pass the first street/lane with lots of eating places, (come back and have a drink) carry on up the lane and on your right you will see a sign saying Columbine Hotel. Go up there, Up some steps over canal and down steps, carry on down there and at the end turn Left and you should be there. ( can you let me know if this doesnt work?)
The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were made up each day and as it is so central, we found it really convenient and well priced. They are on quite a few sites, if you cant find it try another. Think in the end I tried 6!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank OrkneygirlOratia
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We booked to stay at the Locanda Canal however upon arrival we were taken to the Casa Pisani Hotel a few streets away. This was their sister hotel, also a 3* and we were more than happy with this. On the morning of our 2nd day, we were told we were moving to the Locanda Canal hotel for the remaining 2 nights of our stay. We were a little confused as to why we had to move however didn't have a choice so we packed our bags and the helpful staff moved them to the Locanda Canal for us so it was no hassle moving. Later that day when we went to the new hotel, we checked in and were given the option of 2 rooms. We opted for 108 which was a very small double room but had a little balcony which overlooked the waterway below. This was great after a long day with lots of walking around, as we got a takeaway pizza and bottle of wine and took it back to the room. (This was a great way of saving money...meals in restaurants are very expensive for what you get so this worked out great for us). We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Venice and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheap and cheerful trip. (The Locanda Canal is on the same street as on the cover of the Venice Rough Guide)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from 22nd July and I was not disappointed. Granted the hotel is not a 5* luxury hotel BUT for the money and tourist hotel class it is well worth staying at for the central location, friendly staff and the fact that you are in Venice. I had a single room which was big enough for one person, the bathroom was small but functional and had a working shower and toilet so I was happy. My room also had a balcony so I could sit outside and watch the canal below and passing walkers. Breakfast was adequate, again its not 5* buffet offering but enough to full you up so you can get going. Re location you are 5 min from St Marks Square, Rialto Bridge, Grand Canal so for the price it is very very reasonable. I loved Venice - my advise is: loose your map, stay away from the main tourist hotspots during the day (crowds were mad) and just let yourself wandering around and explore, then find a cafe/bar and watch the world go by. Will go back to Venice and hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have canal view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HolidayLover18
Avon Lake, Ohio
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed 2 years ago in the Hotel Campiello near St. Marks Square in one. Of their apartment. This was an unexpected trip to Venice so we had no reservations, tried to stay here, it was full so they called their "sister" hotel which was the Locanda Canal. There is virtually no lobby, just a small check in desk. The woman working there was very nice and helpful with restaurant suggestions, etc.. The room we stayed in was TINY with a small double bed and the smallest bathroom I have ever been in. We did face the canal and had a small balcony which we enjoyed. Breakfast was average too. The best thing about this hotel is the location which is close to everything visitors want to see, yet is in a quiet area which is nice when you want to escape all the tourist crowds.

Room Tip: I saw the room next to ours being cleaned the next morning and it was huge. It also faced the canal...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
new zealand
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel is in a good location - a few minutes from St Marks Square and 10 mins to Rialto Bridge. Reception staff were good, breakfast was OK. Price was Euro 145 (including city tax which is added after the price you pay but only 6Euro). Room was oldy world with good character and comfortable, bathroom was tiny.

Room Tip: overlooking the canal is a bonus but not really much to see. The hotel is on a quiet canal (no gondo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nzbased
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I went to Venice with my wife to have a wonderful time there but we had a terrible experience in this hotel! We chose this hotel after check the trip advisor web page, the hotel had 4 points and has a nice location near the San Marcos square. The second day we were robbed, $ 3,500.00 were took out from the safety box, we tried to get assistance but rarely the front desk manager and also the owner didn't do nothing and gave us a terrible service avoiding responsibility. An employee used the master code to open the safety box in a moment that the hotel was empty....I went to the police station to put my claim.........
After talk with the owner I felt bad due to his attitude and bad service....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Javar1970

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels