“VALUE FOR MONEY”
Review of Hotel Al Vagon

Hotel Al Vagon
Ranked #173 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed September 19, 2012

right in the centre of san marco ares close to all attractions
very basic but very clean
we were on an overnight stay before cruise
water taxi from airport took us right to the hotel unlike some
this is one of the reasons for booking and one of the cheapest hotels in this area
no facillities eg coffee or no breakfast but has a restaurant next door many coffee shops and restauranata around hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pamelaMarbellaSpain

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is the hotel booking I was most worried about as there are so many mixed reviews on tripadvisor on the property. Having worked for the hotel industry myself I tend to ask the question why so? And the only reason i find is that the staff may have not been very communicative with some guests,.they are not ill intentioned but they just cant speak English. Sometimes the owners are at the reception themselves and they speak very less English. The receptionist on night guard is an indian and speaks excellent English. But all are quite helpful if you ask them a precise question. However we found this hotel to be very good for what it is and the price you pay.

To start with it is very easy to find if you download the map on their website and refer to it, we did not get lost even once. It is a small family run place located in a 400-500yr old building so one has to understand that there will definately be limitations to how one can configure modern hotel rooms in this space, but inspite of that they come out with flying colours. We stayed in their smallest room, it was small but quite comfortable. The bathroom was spotless with even a bidet. We did not find this place noisy at all as our room opened into a narrow alley (which was clean)There is a place below this hotel which serves which serves decent slices of pizza for breakfast. and another which serves good fruit based cocktails.

To sum it up I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again,

Room Tip: choose a room which looks into the alley between buildings they are dark but quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank the_moleMumbai
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Last week stayed at Al Vagon for 2 nights. When checked-out at 9 AM asked to leave my backpack at the reception for a few hours. I made a terrible mistake as I forgot my credit card in the bag. The next day received a phone call from my bank telling me that my credit card was used in online shopping the exact day my bag was at the Al Vagon reception. It was hard for me to believe that I was robbed, not in the street, but in the place I stayed, wich by the way is awful and to avoid at all costs.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Sandra B
karimpante, Proprietario at Hotel Al Vagon, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Completely false and defamatory: we are considering with our lawyers the opportunity to report this person to the judiciary.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked a triple room overlooking the canal. 100 Euros/night.Such a lovely view watching the canal traffic. Lovely classic decor and high ceilings. Room clean and lovely Egyptian cotton towels and sheets! Aircon a bonus and very quiet when the windows closed. The staff were friendly. Free map. There is a Stannah stair-chair thing for people who are unable to climb stairs.The area is not too touristy but within easy walking distance to the main sights. It's 6 bridges from the railway station (!) and is a 20mins walk with cases. There is a Billa supermarket 10mins walk

Room Tip: It's worth booking a room with a canal view. Really interesting and quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dona45
Reviewed August 20, 2012

super central location, just 5 minutes walk from Rialto bridge.
Rooms were perfect, clean, with view over the canal, big bathroom, air conditioning, TV, hair drier at a very convenient price (90 euros for a double, 50 euros for a single). Considering the high prices in Venice and the low quality, it was a real bargain. We will stay there again for sure for our next trip to Venice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Matteo F
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel at end of July. Yes, it's about a 5 minute walk from Rialto bridge, but that's about it as far as positives things go. It's located right on the corner of a plaza that's noisy as hell. They play music every night until early in the morning and when that's finally over you can hear people hauling trash carts. We complained several times the first night (we figured there ought to be laws against playing loud music all night) but were brushed off by the hotel clerk. We demanded that we be given a different room for the rest of our stay but had to really get loud so they would comply. It was several houses away and much more quieter.
The manager (owner?) of the hotel, Mauricio, is a complete [--]. He treated us like he was doing us a huge favor allowing us to stay there. It was probably the worst hotel experience in my entire life, and I've traveled all over the world.
Venice is a beautiful city, but the hotel experience made it a lot less memorable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Roger A
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel far exceeded my expectations...this was my first trip to venice and had heard how it is so expensive for small rooms etc but this hotel was all i could ask for.We had a superior room with a canal view which i strongly recommend to everyone(room 26),considering it is only a little more expensive.It was a pleasure to look out onto the canal where gondolas and boats were cruising by...with the shutters closed it was very quiet at night.The room was large,comfy bed,AC worked great,a clean modern bathroom and in a great location close to strada nuova and the rialto,but away from the Circus of St.Marks.Again, for the price ($100 AUD) i don't believe you could get much better for the middle of Venice in mid-summer.The staff were friendly and helpful when needed and there is plenty of choice for breakfast very close by. You should look no further than Al Vagon

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple