“Loved it1”
Review of Hotel Al Vagon

Hotel Al Vagon
Ranked #174 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Al Vagon for 3 nights and I could not have been more pleased. The location is perfect and very easy to find, which as a previous reviewer mentioned, is rare in Venice. The room was lovely and immaculately clean, and the staff were both friendly and helpful. Also, and this was so appreciated in stiflingly hot Venice, the AC absolutely rocked! By far my favorite (it was also the cheapest) hotel of my three week trip through Italy.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We booked this hotel during our anniversary trip through Italy. we booked, and payed for a canal view, which we did not receive, but instead had a view of a noisy courtyard. before we even saw our room, we were taken aback by the rude host, who answered our questions with curt, short sentences, and even ignored some of our questions all together. when we were showed to our room, we told him it was unacceptable since we had been told that we would be getting a canal view. he claimed to have emailed us a week earlier, to let us know that instead of getting a canal view, we would be getting a room with a "four poster bed" which was cost equivalent. woo hoo. that is not why we came to Venice. we did not receive that email, and even if they had sent it, we had been in Italy for well over a week by the time we got there. we have traveled quite a bit since being together, and we always use trip advisor, and we have never ever given a 1 out of 5 for a review. but this was the worst service we have experienced yet. the room was clean and adequate, but the service was so bad that it made the whole place upsetting.

as a side note: you much visit Burano which is only a 30 minute ferry ride. we loved it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank matt_bekah
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed here for an extended weekend. Management were lovely and very helpful - great for a pair of Anglos that spoke nil Italian. Room was quiet, clean and quite pretty. Room had everything we needed and nothing we didn't; no view but didn't expect one! Would recommend to everyone and plan to stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HardyBM
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We have just returned from our trip to Italy for a friends wedding. Myself and my boyfriend were travelling with friends and had booked 1 night at the Hotel Al Vagon in Venice.
We arrived at the hotel ready for our 2pm check- in. When we approached the reception of the hotel we were greeted by a very unfriendly man who proceded to tell us our booking had been cancelled due to a pre- authorised card error even though we were going to be paying by cash!
He then said he had given our rooms away and that was how things worked in his hotel. As you can imagine I was extremally upset by this as we had been travelling for most of the day from Lake Garda and were looking forward to a relaxing afternoon in Venice. I asked the man why he had not contacted us about this error and he said it was not his problem. At this point I asked him if he had any other rooms and he said he had 1- the more expensive superior room which I thought was convenient! I asked about our friends- at this point he got very nasty and said he was unwilling to help us as I was rude and not a 'good' person. Whilst I was talking to the rude man another guest staying in the hotel passed a card to us saying to call them as it was details for a friendlier, cheaper hotel- the man said he would be 'having words with her later'! He seemed very aggressive and I didn't feel at all comfortable being in this situation.
My boyfriend tried to calm the situation and the man said he could get a room for our friends in another hotel although we would need to sign and pay for this 100 euro room first. I said I wanted to see the other hotel first as we were away with our friends and it didn't seem right to be split up if we were going to be miles apart in different hotels. He told us to leave our cases whilst he showed us- we said we would prefer to keep them with us for safety. He snapped at us for thinking 'his' hotel was unsafe! We followed him to the other 'hotel' which was situated down an dirty back alley way, through a huge gate to a random door. I felt quite scared at this point as there were no other people around and we had no idea where he had led us. He rang the bell and at that point I thought this seemed odd as there was no hotel sign and the door wasn't free to open. We said that we were not willing to have this hotel. He shouted something in Italian at us and stormed off. All in all this was a nightmare start to our trip away. Luckily we booked into a lovely little hotel that was cheaper and had very friendly and helpful staff!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JRCUk
karimpante, Proprietario at Hotel Al Vagon, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

The credit card has not guaranteed the booking, the rest of this comment is pure fantasy.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I too was skeptical based on the location, price and star level (sounded too good to be true) but decided to go for it based on the reviews. It was easy to find based on the websites directions, and only 1 bridge to carry our luggage over! We had a fabulous canal view, the ac worked great and though we were 4 (1 adult and 3 17 year old girls) we didn't feel to cramped. The shower was tiny but it worked and the bathroom was clean. I love a hard bead so i slept just fine and I love hearing the noise of a city, the sunday morning church bells were a pleasant way to wake up. For the price and location you can't beat it!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The location of the hotel is good - about 15 minutes from Rialto bridge and 20 minutes from San Marco Square. We took the Vaporetto (spend the money for a unlimited ride card) from the train station which took about 25 minutes. The hotel was not hard to find and it included a small, very small TV, AC and WiFi.

However, the staff were very rude and provided an unpleasant experience for myself and my family. On the last night, when we went to check out, the front desk man refused to give us the VAT receipt, stating that it was included in the price and could not be broken down. My mother then went on to ask to use the "wheelchair" lift to get up the 20+ stairs (there is no elevator) in which the man asked rudely why she waited until the last night to ask to use the machine. He also stated that he would have to look for the remote and he was not going to do that. Therefore, my mother, highly embarrassed, with her bad knees, had to walk up the stairs with no sympathy from the staff. I would also suggest not booking a "canal" view as it seems like only one room on each floor has a decent canal view worth the money.

The location is good but other than that, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jesso34

They booked a room for 2 people and came in 3 and finally they paid for two persons, the bill with vat amount has been duly delivered to the customer, the chair stair lift is available to all guests . They had booked a room without a view of the canal, they did not see the room overlooking the canal. We are setting up the wifi but it is not yet available.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

The location is brilliant, easy walk to the main tourist attractions. It is easy to find which is a little unusual for Venice. If you want a great room ask for a canal view with balcony. The view was great and really made the room and really justified the expense. Its not the cheapest accommodation but is worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple