“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Adelaide, Australia
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Good location, 2 minute walk to the ferry stop on Piazza San Marco.

Very friendly, welcoming staff. Offered us a map and pointed out locations.

Room was very clean, airconditioning had been switched on for our arrival. Very clean, large bathroom with a great shower.

Breakfast was really good. Hot selection and also a great cold buffet. Attentive service with good Italian espresso on offer.

No problems leaving our luggage behind reception after checkout.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Venice was the last port on our cruise and we wanted to stay an extra night, so I booked 2 rooms in this hotel for one night. The location is PERFECT - a short 5 minute walk to St. Marks Square, and 5 steps away from a major Gondola stop. When I booked the hotel, one thing that was very important to me was the fact that the taxi was able to stop right in front of the hotel so we wouldn't have to drag all our bags through town. We booked a private taxi on our own, and he dropped us off at a different stop instead of in front of our hotel and the driver said he couldn't get any closer to the hotel. When I asked the woman at the front desk about the taxi stop, she informed me that if we booked the taxi through the hotel, then the driver would be able to bring us into the canal and drop us off directly in front of the hotel. So if this is important to you, call the hotel and have them book your taxi so you can get dropped off right in front of the hotel. We got to the hotel around 10am and check-in was not until around 2pm. I had my 2 teenagers with us, we had just finished a 2 week cruise and it was extremely HOT outside so we were exhausted. The person at the front desk was very friendly, and she was kind enough to expedite the process and get one of the rooms ready for us around 11am so we had a place to rest before we went on a boat tour we had already scheduled. The other room was ready and waiting when we returned from the boat tour. We had 2 rooms that overlooked the canal which was very cool. The rooms were perfect - very clean, comfortable, and had all the necessary amenities. The hotel had a charm to it which made us feel comfortable. We didn't have time to eat breakfast the next morning, but it did look like everyone was enjoying it. The woman at the front desk was kind enough to arrange for a porter to meet us the next morning to bring our luggage to the taxi stop (just for an FYI - price for a porter starts at $20 for the first 2 bags, and $5 for each additional) - but this was money well spent. I felt the price we paid for the room was very reasonable and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room overlooking the canal. It is worth it.
1 Thank zoe g
Paola, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

There's no better way to describe this hotel than the word EXCELLENT. Location was great with only less than 5 minutes away from Piazza San Marco. Just outside there was a gondola stop. Rooms quite spacious and very comfortable with all the necessary requirements. Also the breakfast was really good, providing a substantial variety, which when compared to other hotels we stayed in was great. All the staff was patient and always ready to help. Overall we must say that our experience at violino d'oro was so great, in fact once we were there we booked the hotel for another night!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charles S
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Hotel Violino d'Oro is extremely well located (only 4 small blocks from the Piazza San Marco). There is even a Gondola stop in front of it. Rooms are very comfortable and with style. Breakfast is very good. Staff is friendly and is always able to give you good advice on restaurants in the area.

The price is very reasonable for a hotel so well located and so well looked after. I thoroughly recommend it to travelers who want to stay next to Piazza San Marco, in a well decorated hotel, but without hurting their budgets.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the canal.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank A_Budget_Traveller
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My friend booked this hotel for me and my daughter at the last minute since we did not plan to see Venice while we were visiting Milan for the first time. This hotel location is great, only 5 minutes away from Piazza San Marco and has a gondola stop next to the hotel front door. The included breakfast had a fair variety and I could smell the fresh baked bread when I went downstairs in the early morning. It was clean and safe. Since it was very cold and rained non-stop during my stay, I was happy that we did not have to walk too far. The room I paid for was pricey, the bathroom was about one third of the whole room and the rest was so small only for a double bed and a tiny desk in the corner that I wished it was a little bigger. I guess location has a lot to do with it and booking at the last minute was not wise either since I did not have too much to choose from. The front desk staff was just OK and I was not comfortable when I checked in, a female receptionist was too busy talking to her co-worker and I was the only customer at the time, she made me waited for her for a while, I was a bit unhappy with her attitude as well. The Wi-Fi connection did not work well inside the room, I have to go downstairs to get a new password each time I lost my connection and the password only worked for 3 minutes before you lost connection again. If you need to find a place right away to stay for a night or two, this hotel can be a good choice but if you need to stay longer in Venice and have time to do research, I will spend the same amount of money somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Do not get the 5 or 6 rooms on the top floor since other floors had twice as many rooms. The top flo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jillian L
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is located perfectly near the Piazza San Marco. It is near a major gondola stop and close to many restaurants. The staff was very helpful and patient. The breakfast provided much more variety than other places we stayed in Italy. The room rate was favorable. Most of all -- it was hot and humid when we arrived in Venice. This hotel had the best airconditioning of any place we stayed in Italy. It is a great bargain for the price. It was clean, safe and pleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scott B
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our family is one of very experienced travellers. Hotel Violino met all of our expectations! We did an overnight here in July of 2013, just before our cruise of the Adriatic with our two young adult sons, staying in the family room. The location is in the heart of San Marco and really put us in the spirit of the city. The staff was helpful and courteous, directing us to VinoVino Restaurant for lunch, which was a great recommendation. They have an elevator, which helped alot. Breakfast was included, and was very good. I would recommend this hotel whole heartedly for a short Venice stay. Given a longer duration, the location would wear me down.

Room Tip: Hotel Violino has a "family room" which can sleep a family of four, which is rather rare i...