“Special thanks to Antical Locanda al Gambero for your hospitality!”

Antica Locanda al Gambero
Ranked #126 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel is short walking distance to San Marco and very convenient to reach via ferry. The hotel is very comfortable and hospitality given by the entire personnel at every level was excellent. We received very good support even before arriving in Venice when we asked for a place to park our car, and received from the hotel a 20% discount coupon to present to the parking.

Reception - outstanding support.

Thank you!

Room Tip: Room 208 is good for a family of four (two small kids), has a view to canal and very quiet!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 1, 2012

My room was very comfortable and had a nice patio. The people at the front desk were very helpful and the bell person a life saver with the bags. I arrived when he wasn't there and the young lady there helped me. Clean, nice breakfast, espresso made to order downstairs and a restaurant connected to the hotel that has authentic regional food. The menu was a bit pricey but offered a very romantic setting, great wine steward that will pair your food and inside and outside seating.
For those that have whined about the small rooms, stairs, and small bathrooms - I've seen smaller and more stairs. I was on the 4th floor. What do you want for Venezia? The city is old and cramped. Considering the circumstances, this was a very comfortable and affordable place. I will come back.

Room Tip: Naturally, I would imagine the top floor to be the most quiet, if you don't have a party next do...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Winziggle
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in November. The hotel is conveniently located, BUT it has no elevator and we were on the 4th floor. We spent extra for the canal view and if you stood up in your room and looked out the window you could see the canal and the gandolas. We actually booked one of the gondolas right near the hotel, but what he promised and what he delivered were two different things, so confirm before you ride.
We did have the front desk reserve us a private taxi to take us to the airport-definitely worth every penny, since the taxi picked us up in the little canal right next to the hotel, so we were at the airport within 30 minutes. The hotel is convenienlty located near everything and the rooms are small, but very nice. Breakfast was limited, but fine. The guy who worked breakfast was the most pleasant person at the hotel. The front desk staff could have been a little bit nicer. The maids did a nice job cleaning the rooms-more like a housekeeper than hotel maids which was awesome, since the room was always spotless. Good luck lugging your luggage down the stairs. If you are not in good shape the lack of an elevator can definitely be an issue. It is a short walk (with luggage) from the Rialto boat stop, but make sure you know the route before you start walking, since it is on the corner of a busy street and a very tiny street. I would stay there again, since it was reasonably priced, charming, clean and a perfect location. The restaurants that were very close by were more touristy, so you are better off walking a bit to find a better authentic meal.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ihave2manychildren
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had a fantastic experience staying in this hotel, rooms were clean & maintained, absolutely centrally located just few minutes walk away from San Marco...Beside the location what was most appealing of this hotel was the staff. I could not find a single moment where the staff would not smile at you, making you feel almost at home. Beside this, on the day of my departure & post my check-out i forgot to take back my credit card and left the hotel. Within a few minutes, the sweet lady from the reception called me on my cellphone to inform me that i had left my credit card. If she had liked, she had all the opportunity to misuse my card but instead maintained her ethics and with sheer sincerity returned the card back on time. This hotel has won my heart and i would recommend everyone to go and stay there...i would definitely go back there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

When we arrived in Venice there was a strike with the #1 vaparetto line; so, it took us a while to get to our hotel. Once we arrived it was still to early to check-in. We were told our room would be ready in 20 minutes; so, we waited in the small sitting area just off the "lobby" where the hotel provides two computers for guest use, free of charge. The bellman was very eager to help us up to our room -- he picked up the suitecase, put it on his shoulder and with a smile walked us up to our room! He showed us how to use the a/c and opened the doors onto the balcony. He made sure we both stepped out onto the balcony to view the canal which was quite romantic overlooking a small bridge. We did not eat dinner at the hotel, but probably should have on our first night since it was raining and we ended up having an average meal at a restaurant around the corner from the hotel. Breakfast is a really nice spread -- a variety of yogurt, juices, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and pastries. Although, I wasn't impressed with the service from the woman who waited on us. All in all, the location was central to the Rialto, Saint Mark's, Doge's Palace, and not too far from The Accademia and Guggenheim. I highly recommend gelato at Venchi which is down the street from the hotel toward Saint Mark's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vou1a
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I'm so lucky I stumbled upon this place - it's a gem! Easy to access via water bus (#2, Rialto stop) then a short walk up a charming calle and you're right there. I had a rear facing room which overlooked a canal. During the day gondolas would traverse this canal, so I got serenaded for free! It's also super close to Palazzo San Marco. Just make sure you take a stroll through the Palazzo at night - superb!

The staff are super friendly, there's free wifi throughout, a mini bar that is well priced, gorgeous rooms and complementary breakfast which is basic but does the job.

Make sure you take advantage of the 10% discount at the Bistrot de Venice below. Excellent food, but it's not cheap.

Room Tip: Get one at the back overlooking the canal for an amped up Venetian experience :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Becki M
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is its location. Between S. Marco and Rialto you 5 min walk from just about anywhere!!! The room was clean and the staff polite and helpful. On the downside the breakfast was minimal in a very small space, the room was also tiny and with no soundproof what so ever... We could here everything from outside the hotel. Finally like everything in Venice it was overpriced for what it had to offer... Overall an adequate hotel for walking around Venice but nothing more.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends