“excellent location”

Ranked #225 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Bratislava, SVK
“excellent location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night.Room (no.15) was quite big with 4 beds. Lots of steps - reception on 3rd floor, room on 4th floor. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was very basic, no ham, cheese or jogurt at all. Good point is possibility to leave luggage in reception for whole day after check-out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Poole, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights early April 2012. Me, my wife and our daughter and her friend.
Everywhere near the Rialto Bridge and St Marks Square area is extremely expensive but we wanted to be central so had to pay (about 100 Euro's a night per room). Stayed in Venice a few times before on the Lido where you get much better value (and 3* or maybe 4*) but this trip we fancied a more central location and this was only 5 minutes walk to teh Rialto Bridge and about 10 minutes to St Marks. Ideal.
Yes, our double room was small and the bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen. But, it was all pretty clean. Yes, the walls are very thin and you can hear people whispering as they walked past your door but we slept well and it all felt pretty safe and I think we sampled the REAL VENICE !
The area around the Hotel was safe and quaint but it's a shame the bar next door wasn't a little cheaper too just for convenience.
Americans will hate the fact that there is no ICE in the hotel at all, or air conditioning, or a safe, or a pool. In fact it is pretty basic and you can't really relax anywhere except maybe in the breakfast area.
I can't fault the staff though, like any staff in any hotel BE NICE and they will do what they can.
To summarise I think this hotel is a quaint place to stay. There's canals all around you, cute narrow alleyways, busy shops and very handy for all the sights. Come with LOW expectations and you won't be disappointed ;o) You'll pay a similar price for hotels nearer to the Train Station but that's a full 20 minutes further away and nowhere near as nice an area.

I wanted to come away with some great memories of Venice not the Hotel, so for me... job done ! Would I come to this hotel again, yes I think I might.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris G
Chichester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed here for 6 days . Expensive.Room very basic and small .Shower flowed into the room each time I used it.Very basic Continental breakfast .Ok for an ovenight stay but not really suitable to stay any longer.No lift and reception on 3rd floor so getting a suitcase up the stairs a nightmare.Hotel staff very helpful.In a good location close to the Rialto Bridge and St Marks

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank JAS486

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

menemsha
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Perhaps we simply chose the wrong weekend to visit Venice. we paid 150 euro for a room (w/o bath) barely big enough to hold the double bed-2 steps out of bed and you were against the wall. and said wall was paper thin. there was little we couldn't hear. breakfast was adequate and pleasantly served and the location was great. the staff was very friendly and helpful, particularly the young woman from morocco. all in all though, a single mark against what was otherwise a great 3 days.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dana n
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Hotel Canada is a real find if you are looking for a well-placed, central hotel. It is reasonable in price and good for those on a budget. The main rooms are basic and somewhat hot as no air con but not bad value if you want to save your euro for the amazing sights of this truly unique city on the water. I had booked through Otel.com on line and thought I had booked the double (matrimonial) room with the terrace. I even rang Otel to check and they assured me I had this room. Something went wrong and on arrival I had two nights in the basic standard room. But the staff at Hotel Canada did everything to rectify this and for my remaining two nights they were able to move me to Room Dodici B. This was amazing, as you will see from my pics. The view of top of San Marco is good and the room is comfortable, elegant and has air con (10 euro extra) but with sufficient breeze I did not need it and it was height of Venezia heat, being July. The staff are lovely and so helpful and even type their correspondence on a proper typewriter. This is truly a very Italian Hotel and adds to the charm and beauty of good old fashioned times gone by. They could not do enough for me and made me feel welcome and not like a single lone traveller, although I did come with friends who stayed elsewhere. It is excellent location for centrale Venice... 5 to 10 min walk to San Marco and about same to the Rialto. Great for picking up Vapereto and also travelling back to San Marco airport. The square where Hotel Canada is located is charming and has lots of great bars, shops. Safe to walk around at night (quite late) as I did on my own. The whole Centre feels safe and unthreatening. The breakfast is fine and one of the best continental ones I have had in this type of hotel. Despite other reviewers complaints I found it to be satisfying. You get plenty of great Italian coffee, juice, pastries and rolls, nice selection of jams and cream cheese. But then I am often happier with this type of breakfast. If you want full English don't to Europe, stay at home. This is better and healthier. I would definitely stay here again. However I strongly recommend going for room Dodici B (Twelve B). Having said that the basic rooms were clean and comfortable. I had to leave very early am to catch vapereto to airport and the eve before on my return the concierge greeted me with a tray of breakfast things and jug of juice (some of which I drank as very hot). The hotel bar was very reasonable and the staff would obligingly get me drinks even when it was late on. I found this hotel as recommended in my little AA travel guidebook and through the online website and otel.com. I have stayed in everything from 5 to 2 star and I really do want to go back to my little Hotel Canada and bella Venezia (soon).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Alice028
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

Fantastic location but very old fashioned hotel. We left it until arrival in Venice to book somewhere and the tourist office booked us in here. It was fine. Continental breakfast in the mornings and the waiter was very obliging. Ideal for budget travellers!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends