“Great value, great location, good staff”
Review of Hotel Diana

Hotel Diana
Ranked #292 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I recently had a one-night stay at this hotel booked on "points." I actually had four rooms for a large party and was a little worried, as sometimes these bookings aren't very profitable for the hotel. The front desk could not have been more gracious and I thought our rooms were great.

This is a budget hotel so do not expect the Gritti Palace! We found the rooms to be nice and comfortable. My room was a little on the "hot" side, more so than the other rooms we had. The hotel uses a keylock system to control the electricity in the rooms, and I ended up taking my laptop bag to another room for safekeeping and turning the thumb-lock on my door to keep it slightly open so I could leave the door unlocked and the electricity on when I went out. But other than that I had no problem, and as I said I was the only one with this problem. The bathrooms were modern, and I don't recall any problem with things being too "low," although I will say very tall people are going to have a problem throughout Europe.

One reviewer complained about the breakfast. I thought it was fine. A continental breakfast is supposed to be just rolls, jam and coffee, so if anything else were provided it wouldn't be a continental breakfast. Why would this reviewer complain about being provided with what he was supposed to be provided with?

This hotel is just barely off the beaten path, an alleyway or two north of the main route between St. Mark's and Rialto. As a result there are some cheaper restaurants in the area. To get to this hotel from the St. Mark's boat dock, cross directly in front of St. Mark's church, take a right, then take your second left into a fairly narrow alley, about three-feet wide. Walk a ways and you will reach a fairly wide "street." Cross this street and continue down the narrow alley about 100 feet and the hotel will be on your right. Even though I describe this place as off the beaten path, if has a very good location, just a short distance from some of the more expensive places. I really like the location. I would gladly stay here again!

There is a mini-bar in the rooms with reasonably priced drinks, and drinks are also available at the front desk. The front desk clerk went out of his way to help us get a water taxi when we left, and actually walked more than 50 meters to the taxi stop twice to make sure the taxi came, as it was delayed. The staff was very friendly.

The only reason I did not give this hotel five stars is because my room was too hot. If I had been in one of the other three rooms we had I probably would have given it five stars as their air conditioners worked better. Nobody gets five stars if I'm hot. Also, I would gladly pay a $10 fee per night for an "extra" room key that would leave the electricity going in the room when I'm gone so the room would be cooler. I'm sure this would be enough to cover the extra cost of electricity and would make the room more comfortable. This "key" system is very common in Europe, but I don't have to like it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Crack-O-Noon

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I started looking for a reasonably priced room in a hotel near to St Mark's Square to take my wife away for her Birthday and was very happy when I found the Hotel Diana. I Emailed the hotel directly and was given a price of 120 Euro (£100) a night. This was cheaper than any other site I was able to find on the internet.

The hotel was easy to find with the directions given by previous visitors. We arrived early evening so St Mark's Square was free of all the day time crowds.

Upon arrival staff were very friendly, helpful and we were quickly in our room. The room was clean, with air conditioning and a fridge which did not have those pathetic automated dispensers, so we were able to store our own drinks within. There are no coffee making facilities in the room but we were prepared with our travel kettle and staff obliged by providing us with milk for our evening cuppa. There was no view from the room as we were above the front door. It only looked out to the wall opposite which was about six feet away, but this is Venice. We did not expect a view. Space is of a premium in Venice and if you want a view pay a lot more and stay somewhere else, otherwise don't moan. St Mark's square is within throwing distance and there is a great view from there, so do as we did, find a bar, have a drink and enjoy the view.

The bathroom was small but big enough for our requirements. The shower was great after a day of sightseeing.

Breakfast was good with plenty of coffee. Just enough to get you started in the morning. One morning we went down just for breakfast and upon our return the room had been cleaned, clean sheets and new towels. We had left our valubles in plain view including cash, presents and my wife's expensive engagement ring as were were not long. Nothing was missing and staff had cleaned round the items. This reinforced my faith in hotel staff.

I would recomend this hotel to anyone and would stay again.

As for our advice for Venice.

We landed at treviso airport, bought our bus tickets to Venice on the plane and our water taxi tickets at the airport, avoiding the queues when we arrived in venice. Buy the bus tickets that allow a few days use as single fares are expensive. We used them to go everywhere including Murano and Burano. Price the glass in venice it's cheaper than in Murano and barter. Be prepared for the hard sell tactics in Murano particuarly after you see a glass blowing demonstation. If you have a gondola ride don't use them from St Mark's Square the route they take you is very busy. We were told 150 euro for 30 mins, but if you go by water taxi to Accademia (three stops) we had a gondola ride for 100 euro for 30 mins, the route was very quiet (price goes up after 8 pm we went after this) and he sang.

Go on the web page europeforvisitors.com/venice. This site offers great advice for visiting venice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John B
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed here while waiting to board a cruise ship and found it to be a great experience. I was supposed to arrive in the afternoon but, due to a transportation strike delaying my flight, did not make it until the middle of the night. The night clerk was very helpful and friendly in spite of the late hour and I was in my room very quickly.

The room is a standard European fare, but it was clean, comfortable, and the air conditioning worked well. The bed was a little hard, but that seems to be the norm in this area of the world. Breakfast the next morning was a mix of breads, juices, and assorted other items. It wasn't huge, but it did make for a decent start to the day.

Getting to this location is easy if you ignore the directions on the hotel web page. The best advice came from another traveller who posted on this site and, at 1 am made it easy to find the hotel. Go under the arch with the large clock, take the first right, the second left (there is a little pizza shop on the corner), and the hotel is on the right. If you get to the Best Western, you've gone too far.

I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank alpineclc
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I know this hotel claims to be a 3 star hotel but after reading this review you will see why it is closer to a 2 star. To begin with, the elevator moves so slowly that it will take you 3 minutes to go from the first floor to your floor. I saw one of the employees caring furniture up the steps and was told that was faster than taking the elevator. One of the employees said that when you leave you are required to give your key to the front desk because people from the street come in and ask to use the restrooms. That was such a strange comment. When I returned that evening I didn't have to show id to get my keep and was given the key after providing a room number. I even asked if I needed to show id and was told that I didn't have to. It was my first night here and had never previously seen that employee and that individual had no problem just handing over the key. Turning to the cleaning service. I had been warned prior to arriving to lock my luggage because people steal. I thought that was just an old wives tale but I am so glad I took with me the locks I was given prior to leaving my home country. I placed the do not disturb sign on my door and I also left the bed unpaid and left stacks of papers on the bed. That way I would know if anyone had been in the room. Well, when I came back the stacks were re-arranged and the bed was made. When I called the front desk to complain that my privacy was not respected the employee didn't understand why I was upset that the sign was ignored and told me that I should speak with the front desk person in the morning. Apparently the cleaning help doesn't read. Oh, the walls are paper think. You can hear the people in the room next to you so if you stay here I hope for your sake that you do not hear a couple engaged in activities during the night. Lets turn to the bathroom. If you are in the shower you can literally touch the wall that the doornob is on because the bathroom is that small. The toliet is so close to the sink you could sit down on the toliet and be around 2 inches from the sink. If you are over 5 feet tall good luck taking a shower because that is around the shower head's height and it doesn't move which means you need to stoop over. The Best Western is right next door so if you like this hotel's location to Saint Mark's square consider the Best Western.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sabrina_lane03
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Please note that our trip was a last minute decision during the easter holiday, and most hotels were fully booked during the time we were visiting.

We booked the ''princess suite'' with my partner, as we are both tall people (I'm 6'0 and my partner 6'5) and wanted some space. We paid extra for the room (the one on the website photos with the blue duvet) to guarantee some comfort. The website photos are not reflective of the current state of the rooms.

There was barely enough space between the bed and walls for us to walk, as is visible in the photos I've posted. Upon seeing the room and feeling we'd been duped into taking a substandard room, we went down to the concierge to see if there were any other available rooms. They explained to us that we had the only double bed in the hotel and that all other beds were two singles pushed together. They gave us the keys to the ''honeymoon suite'' to see if that was better. Though it had more walking space, the bed was smaller and there was no bath or shower, just a shower hose on the wall next to the toilet. As we had booked a non refundable room, we were left with little options but to stay.

At least the location of the hotel is fantastic! It's located right off the corner of St. Marco's Square. This too, however, has a downfall... The bell tower rings every hour, on the hour, all hours of the day and night. Trying to sleep was fun. The soft mattress and itchy blanket didn't help. Neither did the fact that it was very cold while we were in Venice and there are no heating or cooling systems in the rooms.

The Comfort Hotel Diana is anything but comfortable. However, it is a clean hotel and the staff is extremely polite and helpful. Breakfast wasn't great, but the few things that they did serve were fresh and tasty. Also, there is free wifi throughout the hotel which was a plus.

I can't say I'd recommend this hotel for any other reason than the location. The overall quality for value was lacking.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Electricious
Reviewed April 11, 2012

fine hotel with a location very close the city yet not too noisy. the breakfast is not a buffet, you dont get a choice so you better like croissants and white bread with jam. the rooms are okay, not too big and bathrooms are tiny with no locks on. theres TV and internet, all though the internet is free, every 24 hours you have to go get a slip at the desk with a new login.. and only one computer at a time per login. ask the person for another one i you need It. theres also only 1 plug in the whole room apart from the fridge/tv plugs so be prepared! overall experiance was good and i recommend this

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 3, 2012

i was unaware of this but there is no air conditioning. which means that in order to get some circulation in the room, you have to open the windows. which isn't too bad but the street outside is rather noisy so its hard to get some rest. but the hotel is located very close to st. marks square. and the staff was always very polite and nice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo