“Zero Communication”
Review of Hotel Spagna

Hotel Spagna
Ranked #217 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have booked a room for my honey moon over booking.com, I have tried to contact with hotel over both booking.com and e-mail, I have mailed 3 times to confirm my booking and asked several question about late check out, transfers etc.. However, no replies I have received over 10 days period, by the way I have received an email about my creditcard number is not valid, I have corrected my credit card details and they charged provision to confirm booking but no replies to my emails et all. As a result I have to change out my reservation before its too late.
Make sure to contact with them before arrive there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tozturk

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Based on Venice standards, this hotel represents good value for family visit. We chose this hotel based on price and because we would be arriving from Florence on 23:30 train (has a 24 hr front desk and I didn't want to be dragging luggage through the streets of Venice trying to locate our hotel in the dark). We were easily able to locate the hotel (short 5 minute walk from the train station - just past the Church of Scalzi / Ponte Scalzi on Rio Terra Lista di Spagna). There was no elevator so you will need to bring you bags up a steep set of stairs upon arrival. Room was large by European standards - we were given the large double and 2 single beds as requested. Bathroom was clean but shower was quite tight (not sure that a larger person would even be able to close the doors). Breakfast was served in a small room just to side of reception - we were given a basket of croissant / buns, some wrapped cookies - crackers, wrapped cheese, a glass of orange juice and excellent coffee. Desk staff was very friendly - provided city maps with directions to various attractions. The vapparetto stop for Grand Canal / St Marks Square, Lido etc is just minutes away from the hotel - near the front of the train station - and there is a Venice Connected booth right in front of the train station (can pick-up your discounted vaparetto passes if you pre-ordered online at least 4 days in advance ) as well as a HelloVenezia booth to get the Rolling Venice cards for your teenagers (which gives you the heavily discounted 72 hr vaparetto pass for 18Euro). Lots of restaurants / gelatto / souvenir shops in the area - try Brek for a quick meal / coffee (almost directly across the street). The staff do ask you to leave your room key at the desk when you go out and advised us that the front door would be locked after 1am (although you can buzz at the door and they will let you in). I noticed that a few reviews mentioned noise - we did not find this to be a problem (unless perhaps you are a very light sleeper) and I rather enjoyed the sound of the Church bells in the distance in the morning. We flew out of Marco Polo - so walked to the Pizzale Roma (bus loop) - about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel with our suitcases - and took bus #5 to the airport (25 minutes).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tudorsrule
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Received a very friendly welcome on arrival with suggestions on places to visit etc. When we enquired about breakfast, on mentioning that my daughter is a coelic, the gentleman immediately made arrangements to provide a selection of gluten free breakfast alternatives for her. As mentioned elsewhere the hotel is on the main street but does not suffer from noise.
Rooms are comfortable and clean - in all good value for Venice.

Plenty of restaurants in the surrounding area with the Basilica an easy 25 minute walk.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The best part of this is the location, it is just a short walk from the train station. I cannot imagine being one of the poor people lugging their luggage all over Venice.

The rooms were clean and cleaned daily. The shower is a bit cozier than what I am used to, so it made me work a little harder than I would normally like, but that is fairly standard for Italy from my prior experiences. The room was cozy but comfortable, with a small TV that we never watched.

The A/C worked pretty well, but the power is shut off to the room when you are not there - so it takes a bit to cool off in the evening. Again, par for the course for Italy based upon my prior experience.

The staff locked the doors at night to keep out the night crawlers. I had one walk in on me while I was checking my email late at night, he then locked the gate because "there are too many bad people who will come in". That helped me sleep a bit more comfortably.

WiFi is available in the lobby and some rooms, is a good connection and if you buy bulk - relatively inexpensive (for Venice).

The staff was friendly and helpful for the most part.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have a bit of luggage, ask for something on a lower floor. Also, WiF...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Geoff L
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Located close to train/bus/water taxi. Clean and spacious rooms. We would have given this hotel a good rating, BUT when we went to check out at 4 am to catch an early flight, the hotel
corridors and stairs were dark, no concierge was available at the desk and the main (and only)
exit doors were locked! After trying several hotel phone numbers, and knocking on service staff doors, we had to search through the concierge desk for the main exit door keys, unlock the door
and leave without properly checking out. The fact that we were locked in is really frightening because what if there would have been a fire or another type of emergency?! This would have
been illegal in North America! Cindy B

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CindyB2012
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Convenient location. Easy to get to train or bus terminal without lugging bags a long distance. Several shops and restaurants within a block or two. We walked only one block to catch the vaporetto to take us anyplace we wanted to go. The man at the front desk provided us with a good map and suggestions about the vaporettos and navigating Venice.

Continental breakfast was cheese, croissants, packaged toast and biscuits, jelly, rolls and coffee/tea/cappucino. This was fine with us, as we expected this. But don't expect a full American breakfast.

We felt this was a good value for Venice, as rooms can be quite expensive. If you want to stay in a five-star fancy hotel, then pay the price. We had a double room and a triple room for the 5 of us, and we were satisfied with what we received.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The best part of this hotel is that it is close to the train station and parking lot. The rooms are clean and spacious. For Venice the price isn't bad either. There is no elevator to get up to the "first floor" so this may not be the best hotel option if you have a lot of luggage.

The staff, for the most part was good. We did have one night where the night attendant asked us to leave our key at the front desk which we thought was odd, then when we returned later in the evening they were no where to be found. So we had to wait around for 10 minutes to get our key back. This was very annoying, but we never saw them again later. For the rest of the stay we felt like we were sneaking out after hours like kids at their parents house. Just to avoid having to give up our room key again.

There really isn't anything special about this hotel. Its just a good location for a decent price. You are really just here to sleep anyways.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street. Can get noisy at night.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple