“Excellent value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Paganelli

Hotel Paganelli
Ranked #104 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Paphos, Cyprus
“Excellent value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just came back from Italy,stayed at this property for a night in Venice.Reception staff warned me next day will be a high tide and will be problematic to have a breakfast as the hotel restaurant is next door and till 10 a.m. wouldn't be accessible as the raising water level.Next day a rubber boots been offered as an option.At first I refused as it seemed weird to go with the boots,but after a short walk outside I found it very comic and was a bit of fun.Other guest been scared as thought it's kind of tsunami.Receptionist was apologizing as said they've got the problem the last 300 years.That's Mother Nature,can't do nothing about it.Next door is the famous Danieli hotel and Bridge of Sighs.Will go back definitely,although the breakfast was basic.

Room Tip: Probably the Canal view room is fantastic,but for me the room with the view is not an issue as I'...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Paf33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We recently stayed here in December 2013. I had stayed here previously on several occasions and found this Hotel to be quite accommodating and satisfying to my needs. Upon arrival I checked in only to find that the particular room with 2 windows facing the Canal that I had requested and was CONFIRMED by the Hotel months in advance as well as having been pre-paid , was not available as it was given to someone else. When I complained, the Hotel Clerk told me he had given me another room facing the water that was better than the one I had requested as it was bigger. I again stated my displeasure with having been given less than the room that had been confirmed to me.

The front desk clerk made me feel like I was the bad guy of sort and tried to place me on the defense. He told me that he couldn't just tell the people to leave as they had decided to stay longer. Of course I told him that He could easily tell that party to move into another room since I had confirmed and paid for my room almost a year in advance to my arrival. Another man at the front desk then told me that he could give me the room I had requested the following night (the day of my departure]. I declined as I didn't want to have to move and change rooms for one night.At check in I just couldn't decline staying here as my room was pre-paid and I could not get a refund.In short, I was at the mercy of the Hotel's choice for which room I received.

The room He gave us wasn't large or better at all than the one I had requested. It was much smaller than the room I had been promised and had only one small window in it, rather than the two I was promised.

The breakfast is located in another Hotel anex next to this Hotel. The breakfast was very good as well as all of the breakfast staff, as they were friendly and helpful.

The room was very clean, albeit small and very dated.The bath was modern and very clean.

I will never stay at this hotel again as the front desk personnel were very unaccommodating, disrespectful and rude in addition to having given me the proverbial 'bait and switch.'

If convenience is your only concern, then by all means utilize this Hotel as it is only a short walk to St. Marks Sq. and is right in front of the water boat stop.On the other hand, if customer service, friendliness , honesty and making you feel appreciated is a high priority among your needs, then by all means look someplace else as Venice has many Hotels to accommodate your needs.

Obviously this hotel doesn't care about repeat business and customer loyalty.At least they didn't appreciate mine.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Waterfront. As I found out though, even having the Hotel giving me a writt...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Morgan W
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The hotel is located just across from the water bus stop for transfers from San Marco Polo and is a small but well presented waterfront hotel. It seems to have been recently renovated and our room with its wooden beams and terrace and amazingly modern bathroom was evidence of that. Free wifi throughout the hotel was a bonus on a cold winters night. Breakfast included a variety of pastries and savoury dishes- enough to start the day. The hotel is about a 5 minute stroll from the Bridge of Sighs, Doge's Palace, St Mark's Basilica and Square. Walking a bit further will take you to Rialto Bridge and the markets. A must is pasta from Alfredo's served in takeaway boxes and made fresh in front of your eyes. An amazing stay and an amazing hotel well worth the very good value price paid.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidaylover25
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I had a serious cut and was bleeding too much... My answer was a threat from the hotel front desk instead of getting help... Will never recommend this hotel to any one... I had to figure out where to go for emergencies and had a very bad time figuring it out... I would say to the guy who dared to threaten me while i was injured, i hope you wont get in this trouble when u will be abroad your lovely country, you may find another welcoming like yours

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Oscar E
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

On New Year's Eve we had an emergency and the hotel just ignored us when we called them from the room to ask for a doctor or any kind of help. They even dared to threaten us when we were persistent on asking for help. We had to go out and find an emergency room ourselves without knowing Italian. This has been the worst experience we had during our trip to Italy and we definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a pleasant stay and hospitality.
The hotel attendant wanted to fight after we showed the bleeding cut. He will get our sue letter from the lawyer soon as they ignored this emergency situation which could lead to worse results in a foreign country.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Elcin V
HotelPaganelli, portiere di notte at Hotel Paganelli, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
One of the advantages of our hotel is its accessibility to everything the city has to offer. In case of need the nearest hospital can be reached in 15 minutes walking or 45 minutes by boat-bus or 10 minutes by boat-taxi. On such exceptional occasion (during the night between December 31st and January 1st) an additional medical team was ready to face emergencies all night in the first aid branch of St. Mark’s Square which is even closer (150 meters from the hotel).
Although it’s nicer to get a doctor in your room and at the snap of fingers, it’s necessary also to consider the gravity of the injure.
The hospital speed boat ambulances is an option only for ‘near to death’ cases, a simple cut is not on their priority. And if it was it would normally take, to be optimist, 40 minutes. In this case, given that the injure was not as serious as to prevent a short walk (150 meters) to reach St. Mark’s Square, the guest could have reached the doctors it in 5 minutes walking!
Me, the night shift attendant tried to illustrate matter-of-factly what above said but instead of being understood I was insulted. I tried to ignore the swearwords in my direction until I firmly said it was enough and instead of obtaining apologies I was accused of threats. Luckily there were other guests who witnessed it was not so.
from: night auditor
Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Paganelli for three nights - on arrival we were absolutely enchanted by its situation - right on the quayside at San Zaccaria - which we reached by water taxi from the airport - and 600 metres from Piazza San Marco. The reception area was most attractive and welcoming - our room was in the annexe just to the side of the main hotel on the second floor , which was reached by both elevator and stairs - the facilities presented were of a boutique type décor, and were exquisite - superbly fitted out separate bathroom with shower and aircon. Breakfast was served in this annexe so very convenient and the food offered each morning was also excellent. The staff themselves were most attentive and helpful at all times.
We would recommend this hotel to anybody wanting a central situation to explore glorious Venice, it is the first city we have fallen for in the forty years of our travels.

Room Tip: Ask for the annexe accommodation
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

As everyone before has said location is excellent,just along the road from the doges palace and right by vaporetto stop.we had room in the annex which was very modern but quite small,fridge was a real bonus.weather was very cold in venice and room heating was very good as was excellent hot shower.tea making equipment in room would have been nice.free in room safe.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple