“Location is everything in Venice and this place has that category down”

Locanda Ca' Foscari
Ranked #265 of 471 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here for two night and had a great experience. Staff was pretty friendly, location was amazing, just south of the Realito Bridge about a ten minute walk to it. Also it was soooo nice to stay out of the very center of venice and see what it is really like for locals to live there. There was wifi in the basement and yes the owners forsure live there with there families but I dont know why that matters. Breakfast was pretty good. The rooms were clean but absolutly nothing special, but if youre in Venice and are that concerned about having an extremely nice room to sleep in every night then somethings wrong with you anyways, youre going to be outside the whole time youre there trust me! Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank UoflCardCasey
There are newer reviews for Locanda Ca' Foscari

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was so delighted to have found this hotel - it really made my holiday. The location is so good - just a 2 minute walk from the San Toma vapouretti stop, from where boats leave very frequently to St Marks square, etc. The boat ride there is short, and very beautiful. The area the hotel is in is lovely too, and as it is less touristy than the main sites, it has more atmosphere.
I was able to go back to the hotel easily, as it is so central, and the boat journey so delightful. This meant I didn't have to carry much with me, or plan too much as I could easily pop back.
The manager was happy to carry my suitcase upstairs for me. He was also very helpful with my requests for information, directions etc, and spoke good english.
For the price, in central Venice, I felt the quality of the rooms was excellent (much better than I was expecting). It was a reasonable size, very clean, and pleasantly decorated. I had an en-suite bathroom, which was spotless, (as was the shared one also), and my bed was made each day.
If I return to Venice, I will definitely stay there again, and will recommend others to go also.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank 772Sharon
Reviewed June 1, 2013

For the price, I found LCF a very good value, with a sizable room and good location.

First, the negatives. I felt the price was a bit steep for amenities and level of customer service. Not too steep, and this was Venice, so I knew we should expect to pay to stay on the main islands, but I guess after spending less money in bigger hotels, that was a bit of a let-down.

Speaking of customer service, the hotel was short on tourist needs such as information (maps, pamphlets) or even readily available staff to fill in the blanks. We didn't end up needing much in this way, but it would've been nice to know we could've just dropped by the front desk and had every need taken care of.

It was a bit more of a hostel/B&B than a hotel. This was partly due to it being a Venetian hotel (natural lack of space) and to it being a family business. And it wasn't so bad most of the time, but I often felt like we weren't just roughing it, but doing so in someone else's home.

Now the happy! The room was very big with a nearly equally big bed (though it was actually two smaller beds shoved together--what's up with Europe being a 1950s American sitcom??). The bathroom was small, but modern. Two windows gave us a nice view of, well, mostly people's backyards, but that too isn't LDF's fault.

When they were around, the hotel staff were very friendly and spoke English, which was good as my Italian was a bit rustier than I'd expected.

There was a huge dining room, but I can't comment on the breakfast as we chose not to partake.

Ah, yes, and finally, LDF was pretty much smack-dab in the middle of the main Venice islands so it was a pretty easy, if sometimes confusing, walk to most sites, including St. Mark's square and the train station.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here for four nights in May with my husband and had a great experience. Our room was quaint and sizeable with a lovely view of the rooftops of Venetian homes. The most important thing of note is that you will be able to walk EVERYWHERE in Venice if you stay here -- we thought we'd need a water bus pass, but all the attractions are in walking distance from the hotel as Venice is a small city. That makes up for pretty much everything. The only major con I can think of is that the walls are a little thin -- but you won't notice because you'll be out of your room most of the time, exploring the city. Recommended as a great budget stay in the heart of one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Room Tip: **There are steps to hike up (no elevators) so if this is an issue you may want to request a room on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is obviously a family run business in the heart of Venice. A friend suggested we should stay in central Venice rather than Mestre, and we are so glad we did! At night time, the cruise ship guests move on, and there's less people around. Plus Venice at night time is mesmerising.

Our room faced onto the street, which did mean a bit of background noise, but not overwhelming. It could get quite warm without air conditioning, but the windows opened so no problems.

Bed was comfortable, views were great, and a quick and easy walk to the station. Smack bang in the middle of everything, although can be a touch difficult to find (which if you're lugging bags around can get a bit annoying). However once you're there it's fine. Rooms are kept very clean as well.

Not particularly accessible friendly - our room was on the third floor which meant steps, however this wasn't a problem for us.

Tip: Bring bug spray. Also, better off in all of Venice with a backpack rather than wheely case if you can.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed here with a friend on a short interailing trip (both girls aged 20) for 2 nights, Hotel was perfect for what we wanted, i.e. somewhere cheap but not really grotty!!

Hotel was in a nice area (central enough that you could walk everywhere, loads of restarants and shops etc.. around it) but it was still a little out of the way so it was quiet at night. Both felt comfortable walking around at night.

We had booked a private room with a shared bathroom but were given our own bathroom (with a very good shower) for no extrra cost. The room was hot, but then we were expecting that with no air con, and they did provide a fan which made it bareable!! Bed was comfy and provided nice towels etc...

Owner of the hotel was fine, helpful when you needed it but not over the top!

Only bad thing was breakfast which we thought we would try one day. Better and cheaped to go to one of the patisserie's nearby.

would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice stay in venice that won't break the bank!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank em_kit
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I was supposed to be there with my cousin...(female-male), I can say that luckily my cousin couldn't join me, otherwise it would be a bit of a problem, in the sense that it was supposed to be shared with people you have a certain kind of relationship (partner, friends), otherwise it could be critical.
I had a double bed room with en suite toilet...I will attach a couple of pics in the future.
The atmosphere was ok, but I do understand the post when people say that it doesn't seem to be an hotel...
A family seems to live there and then I didn't understand if they rent rooms.
I stayed on the 2nd floor, but I didn't understand if there is any difference between the 1st and the 2nd floor, due to the fact that on the 2nd floor there were indications about a curfew @ 1am.
Why that?
Why not on the 1st floor?
What is it going to be locked, if they guy gave me the entrance door key?

Room Tip: mine was #9 on the 2nd floor, double bed room with en suite toilet...the problem is that you hear al...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo