“Not bad, not good”
Review of Hotel Flora

Hotel Flora
Ranked #50 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great location, I love the antique building with antique furniture, our room was large enough.

But... they have some faults that made our experience worst than expected.

I was traveling with family. As hotels in Venice are expensive, and I would only be there for one night, I decided to get a family quad-room. That was not exactly a good idea, but would not get much better paying more for three rooms. It was the most expensive and the worst hotel from my 23-day round-trip through Europe (which included London, Paris, Verona, ...)

Major problems are:
1) Wifi was slow and has serious range problemas... it did not work on our room, probably because it was far from the router, we needed to stay near stairway to use it, very uncomfortable;
2) I like antique furniture, but in the room they look more old, wearied, than antique;
3) Our room needed new painting. The fery old painting gave a very poor impression;
4) The carpet over the wood floor was old, weared and disgusting;
5) The elevator is small and only enough for two person, but that's common on old buildings. The problem is my wife was almost screaming because of a pain in the knee and we only discovered it exists after a staff member lead us to our room on 3rd through a stairway;
6) The sofa-bed was too small.

Apart from it the staff was gentle and breakfast was OK.

They could be much better with just a few changes:
- Paint job;
- New carpet;
- Better wifi network;
- Staff training;
- Some refurbishing.

1  Thank Alexandre M
hotelflora, Proprietario at Hotel Flora, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
it is always sad reading a negative review but we must take a cue from all the criticism in order to improve our service and the stay of our guests.
We are always working in order to offer more services to our guests...for this reason the wifi connection is free for all of them throughout the hotel. We already provided to improve our connection with the top of the range but we keep working on it. Every winter time, which is considered low season we do a lot of maintenance but of course we can always do better. We love the antique furniture and carpets because they are part of our tradition; this is why we put them in our rooms but cleanliness remain our priority. Our staff is continually trained but your suggestion will help us to evite future complains.
We remain at your disposal for any further comunications.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This family run hotel near San Marco Square is a gem. Quiet and friendly the hotel has nice, though small rooms, which are air conditioned. The hotel serves a tasty buffet breakfast and has a bar for an afternoon cocktail.Free internet is available.The staff is very accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank baltoro
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was able to book a room at Hotel Flora during the off season and was very pleased with the accommodations. The hotel room was comfortable and not at all noisy. Breakfast included eggs, cheese, assorted breads, and fruit. And the location was perfect - an easy walk to San Marco, San Zacaria, Rialto, and even to the train station. My only reservation about the hotel was the superficial friendliness of staff - they were very pleasant regarding standard interactions like food choices but a request for assistance in determining the train schedule to Milano was met with a dismissive response that "there's a train every hour" from the front desk. I was looking for a little more precision and as a consequence, I just missed the most convenient connection and waited another hour for the next train. This is a small complaint compared to the total experience of Hotel Flora and I do recommend the hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank LizTh
hotelflora, Proprietario at Hotel Flora, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
I just read your review and I immediately shared it with my staff. We are very glad that you appreciated the accomodation, our breakfast selection and the location. On the other hand we are really sorry that you did not receive the right care and assistance when you asked for the train shedule. I will take advantage of this report in order to improve our service which remains our priority. Personally I remain at your disposal for any future requests.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 26, 2013

What is wrong about this hotel... They should be having the 1st choice award! It is absolutely lovely, clean tasteful, rooms are a treat, the decor is well chosen. Even the toiletries were the best! Breakfast consisted of a large variety, staff keeps serving with a smile. We truly regretted staying only one night.

2  Thank SAinnanjing
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Oozing old world charm a stone's throw from St. Mark's Square and even closer to La Fenice, this delightfully cozy hotel maintains its character where others might have been tempted to modify the timeless and evocative decor: old wooden cupboards, wardrobes and tables, velour chairs, gilded mirrors, Murano lamps and chandeliers.
The reception is friendly, polite and efficient.
The buffet breakfast was good with the usual selections expected by international visitors. The staff was particularly friendly and willing to please.
It would be wonderful to stay here in the warmer months when the beautiful courtyard terrace can be enjoyed in the sun.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank anglital
Reviewed February 21, 2013

It’s a very authentic Venetian hotel with a cozy ambiance and friendly staff. Location is excellent 2min walk from St. Marco square and within luxury boutiques in the surrounding area. We used their service for a baby sitter which was a perfect lady “Francesca” and took excellent care . The small garden outside is fabulous and charming. Breakfast is fair, and service staff are so considerate. We will definitely stay there again!

2  Thank khachig1975
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I know I am a little late.....actually really late in writing my review of Hotel Flora, and I apologize!! My husband and I stayed at Hotel Flora December 23-26, 2007. I absolutely adored the everything about the place, we really felt at home, honestly I felt so at home & comfortable I hated to leave. Our room was very cozy and comfortable, the staff was amazingly nice and helpful and the breakfast buffet was always fantastic! When we return to Venice again (hopefully Christmas 2014) we will most definitely be staying once again at Hotel Flora!

Room Tip: The room we stayed in had a little balcony and it was very cozy. I believe we were on the 2nd floor.