Hotel Campiello
Hotel Colombina(Venice)
$186
$180
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Savoia & Jolanda(Venice)
$372
Hotels.com
$809
Londra Palace
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmark's squaregreat locationsan zaccaria vaporetto stopwater taxirick stevesgrand canalshort walkyogurttwo blocksthe main hotelsmall hotelquiet streetfree breakfastwould stay here againsmall squaresan marcoking bed
Reviewed March 4, 2013

As others have written, the hotel has a great location. And despite it's close proximity to St Mark's Square, it was very quiet. It took me a couple of days to 'get' the maze-like streets and feel at home in this rare and amazing city, but once I got in the flow of it I felt a part of the buzz and splendour and really enjoyed myself and felt quite safe. The last week of February turned out a great time to go as well, because the sun was shining beautifully and there were no lines or crowds or waiting for anything, anywhere! Hotel staff were always available and helpful, the buffet breakfast simple but plentiful, and for me personally it had everything I needed. Some of the rooms are tiny I know, so do be aware that the average room may not be spacious. To me it felt small and friendly, and suited my requirements admirably. Do enjoy your visit wherever you decide to stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Overall good experience! Location was excellent, 3 minutes walk from St. Mark's square. Our room was clean and attractive with a typical Venetian style. It was slightly "cheesey" but in the end we decided we liked it as part of our Venetian experience :) The staff was helpful but not super friendly, and the breakfast was just okay. We were really excited about it after having read many great reviews on it, but were actually disappointed by it. In the end though, we were really happy with our choice and would stay there again if we're ever back in Venice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mt2010
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We found the Hotel Campiello in the Rick Steves' Venice tourbook. It is very conveniently located a short walk from the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop and St. Mark's Square, The hotel does not have and thus you don't pay extra for a canal view. Our room was large enough, clean and the bed comfortable. We controlled the AC and it worked well. There was a small TV and a room safe. There is an elevator, although we prefer the stairs. The WiFi worked well in the lobby, not so well in our room. Breakfast was included and very good. The front desk staff spoke English well and were helpful with recommendations for restaurants and shops.

I loved the location of the hotel. It is on a quiet alley in the tourist heart of Venice. This location means you will save lots of walking time getting to all the places you must visit in romantic Venice. We emailed the hotel directly, mentioned we saw them in Rick's book and arranged a discounted cash price for 4 nights. I highly recommend the Hotel Campiello.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SoPoME
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We visited Venice mid Dec 12. We arrived in the city via Alilaguna (if you want to get from the airport to the city this is probably the cheapest and most convenient way). On arrival, a thick fog had set in and being half 9 it was dark and beautifully mysterious.
Spread out before you from San Marco is a sprawl of alley ways, at which point the prospect of traversing may not appeal. That is the first point at which this hotel comes in to its own. Just a few minutes walk from San Marco along the Grand Canal and this hotel is found down a quiet (despite its central location it is not on a main route) alley.

The room was quaint and perfectly reasonable in size for a couple of nights. The shower (quite small) curtain was a bit grubby but other than that the room was very clean as was the bathroom.

Venice can be explored thoroughly from here and importantly you can beat the queues if you get up at a reasonable time, as a very short walk puts you in Piazza San Marco, a main 'attraction', from which all other parts of the city can be found.

We ate breakfast at the hotel but it was limited in its selection (lemon croissants and ham and cheese with bread rolls or cereal/fruit).

The beds are very hard but I don't mind that.

The biggest disappointment was how noisy it could get at night. The rooms are in no way sound proof and as we were on the first floor we could hear anyone downstairs and people coming and going. This did disturb us a couple of times and my wife did find it difficult to sleep one night.

If you are thinking of visiting Venice, I really would recommend you do, it is simply stunning. It's age and some decay only add to the attraction. I would recommend visiting off season and also to take a gondala ride. How many times will you get the chance to do this in Venice!? If you are going to do this, don't get on the first you see and don't be afraid to barter. The earlier you go the better, we were first of the day and had a 20-30min ride from Rialto for €60 - which is cheap for Venice!

Make sure you take plenty of cash, Venice is expensive but it is worth it, the food was perhaps the biggest disappointment considering Italy's reputation so try and steer clear of the 'touristy' food places, find somewhere down a side street and try something different.

If you are looking for opulence, luxury (and lots of sleep), I wouldn't recommend this hotel. If you are looking for charm and somewhere in the heart of Venice in a fantastic location, I definitely would.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel as a great base for a few nights in a wonderful city.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank itsabigplace
Reviewed December 8, 2012

So far, this hotel has been our favourite in Europe. It is a little unusual how the hotel complex is set out, but that's Venice! Went to hotel lobby, buzzed it, and checked in. We were taken ack outside and around the corner of the little street to a doorway. Now the street was as ugly as they come so when we arrived at the door entrance to our apartment, my mind was kind of racing a bit. What was i about to enter? A gorgeous space is what. Let me try o explain. We entered a small entrance into a well appointed kitchen - table with 4 chairs, two hot pates, utensils, fridge, sink with washing up facilities. Then off the kitchen a lounge sitting area that had a TV, which was converted into a king bed for my two kids-biggest pull out sofa bed i have ever seen. This room was separated by a huge wall leading onto a master bed and en suite. This set up was ingenious and afforded a mother and father (of two young kds) the opportunity for some much needed space and privacy after 4 weeks on the road in smallish, all-in-one, hotel rooms......... If you get my meaning:)!!!
But even more exciting ( i may be exaggerating here) was the opportunity to go out, buy some fresh ingredients, and cook a delicious series of meals after eating out quite expensively and on occasion poorly over 4 weeks! We revelled in some delicious home cooking and that was brilliant!

The included breakfast was ok, nothing to write home about, but filled us up in the morning. Friendly and polite hotel staff and this hotel literally a 3 minute walk to St Marks square. Very good value and comfortable space! Loved it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family