All reviewsthe main hotelrialto bridgeshared bathroomannex buildingbudget hoteltrain stationyogurtstrada nuovaminute walkvaporetto stopair conditioningsingle roomshort stayfirst floormain sightstucked awaygrand canal
Reviewed August 22, 2007

The room (a single with shared bath) was very basic, but for the amount I paid (35 euros) I was very happy. I booked via email and had no problems with my reservation. The hotel is well located, a 5-10min. walk from water bus stop "Ca' D'Oro" (a few stops away from the main train station) and within walking distance (~20min.) of Piazza San Marco. I stayed in a small single on the first floor - the location was a mix of good (no stairs, like many of the other rooms) and bad (noisy due to proximity to stairs/breakfast room/reception area). The room was equipped with an OK bed (not that comfy, but probably about par for a budget hotel), a small fan, a sink, towels, and basic toiletries (soap + shampoo/shower gel packet). The room was cleaned daily. The shared bathroom was clean, and hot water worked fine. Unfortunately there is no shared bath on the first floor, so I had to go upstairs to use it. A very basic breakfast (tea/coffee, roll with butter/jam, little cakes, packaged croissants) was included with the price. I would recommend this hotel if you are on a strict budget - in which case it's a great find. Otherwise, there are certainly other more memorable accommodations in Venice.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Our family of four (two teenagers) stayed here in July. We couldn't have been happier. We had our own bathroom and were able to stay all four in one room. It wasn't huge, but many hotels don't have rooms that sleep 4. The owners were extremely friendly (not even remotely grumpy), the breakfast was great, we were able to use the internet for 15 minutes for free. They kept our bags for us when we had a night train. It was an easy walk to all the main sights.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank ruthmarti
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Oh my, where to begin....Contacted and received confirming email from the hotel for to rooms. When arrived, they indicated that only one room was available and that we had cancelled the 2nd(which was not the case). Then the fun began. The rooms are nothing as advertised and are one class above hostel quality. Don't understand how any reviewers could give this any rating above below average.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2007

We stayed at this hotel because of the price and hotel's ability to accomodate family of four. We stayed on the third floor and had a rather large room by european standards with a sink in the room. We booked a shared bathroom that was in the corridor, but never heard anyone else use it the whole time there, we did only stay 2 days however. I believe other rms on the floor have their own restroom so that aspect worked out okay. The shower room was pretty disappointing however as it is the size of a small closet, floods, and reminded me of camp days in my youth. The rooms decor was "frugal" Venetian in style, but really did remind us where we were. We did not have much of a view but the green shuttered windows did open into the small street and church bells rang every hour and that was lovely. I enjoyed hearing Venetians and Italians getting ready for business early in the day as they walked through the narrow street.
The only real contact we had with hotel employees was the man at the front desk....believe he was the manager. He was cool bordering on rude, but did hold our luggage as we arrived on an early morning train from Paris as our room was not ready. I don't think that he even looked at us or thanked us when we checked out. I suppose one can do that when you're one of the few affordable hotels in such an expensive city.
I would consider staying at this hotel once more should we visit Venice with our family again, though I would prefer to stay in the annex (which an employee e-mailed my request saying that they are highly sought after, and difficult to obtain). I would however book a room with a bath.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled with family
4  Thank TexasLove2trvl
Reviewed June 4, 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Bernardi for two nights in one of the rooms on the top floor. Here are our brief thoughts:

PROS

The room itself was great -- top floor, relatively spacious and clean, private bathroom, air conditioning.

Making the reservations with Leonardo and Santina was easy using e-mail.

The location is good, close to the Rialto Bridge and other Venice sights.

The night manager was very friendly and helpful.

Small discount if you pay cash when checking out.

CONS

I had confirmed a room with two single beds and was surprised that our room actually had one double bed (standard mattress) and one small single fold-out cot. I drew the short straw and slept on the cot both nights -- it was NOT pleasant -- I would say two of the worst nights I have had in recent memory.

The front desk staff (Leonardo and I would assume Santina) were NOT at all welcoming and not that friendly. They never gave us the impression that they wanted us there as guests.

We overheard on both days different guests having "concerns" with the management over their nightly rate (this wasn't a problem for us as I had a copy of my e-mails confirming our rate).

The staff who served us breakfast both days (same people) were not pleasant at all. No smiles, no nothing. Not exactly the most pleasant way to start the day.

WOULD WE STAY THERE AGAIN?

Marginally yes -- the price and location are good and we don't have to vacation with the staff.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends