All reviewsthe main hotelrialto bridgeshared bathroomannex buildingbudget hoteltrain stationyogurtstrada nuovaminute walkvaporetto stopair conditioningsingle roomshort staytucked awaymain sightsgrand canalside street
Reviewed May 26, 2006

I will say that the hotel is in a good location..but i was still disappointed. we stayed at the annex. it was an umarked building away from the hotel so when we tried to find our way back later that night we had trouble locating it. hotel room was not very impressive for the price...we were expecting more (see pics).

but the worst part was the smell coming from the bathroom....it smelled like sewer and we don't know why. we would close the lid to the toilet, cover the drain on the floor with the trash can...but nothing would fix the odor. so, we'd have to open the window, which of of course leads to bugs. this resulted in us waking up in the middle of the night to find and kill the bugs that were buzzing in our ears all night....

3  Thank Elise A
Reviewed May 19, 2006

Myself and my partner booked a double room at the Bernardi on the recommendation of a friend. Big mistake ! As a same sex couple we have never been on the receiving end of such blatent prejudice before - and that's after 10 years and many holidays together. The owner of the Bernardi proved the exception to the rule. Upon seeing that my partner was female he claimed that he had no double rooms left and brought us to a twin room in an 'annex' of the hotel (an apartment around the corner, up two flights of narrow stairs). When we complained he suggested that two ladies would 'prefer' a twin room. We were firm about the fact that we wanted what we had booked but he was adamant. The room offered was very small, very basic and not at all up to hotel standards, it was more like a student bedsit. After about 10 minutes sitting in it - the reality of what had happened sank in and we headed back to reception to hand back the key. Once we had stated that our intention was to leave he tried to talk us out of going - he denied ever saying we would prefer a twin room and even said that an unexpected cancellation had occured and a double room had just become available for us in the main hotel. Needless to say this just added insult to injury and we left ! The hotel we finally ended up in that night was literally just around the corner, yet it was an entire world away. I would strongly recommend that any other gay couples avoid the Bernardi. In fact I'd like to think that anyone reading this (gay or straight) will avoid it !!

• Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank Venture28900
Reviewed May 3, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Bernardi for a couple of nights in mid April and would recommend this hotel to anyone. I was travelling with 3 other people and we got a room with a bathroom which was really nice. The rooms are very clean and have big windows you can open up for some nice fresh Venetian air. This hotel in located a little ways out of the centre of Venice but in my opinion is a much better location than getting caught up in all the tourist rip offs closer to San Marco. The closest Vaporetta stop is Ca D'or which is about a 2 minute walk and within 5-15 minutes you can be anywhere you want in Venice. It seems to also be in a more residential neighbourhood which is great as you can hang out in the campo with the locals!! Also, try out the Coop grocery store for some cheap wine and grab some awesome cheese and bread for lunch.
If you are looking for an excellent and affordable restaurant, seek out the Taverna San Trovaso which is near the Accademia Vaporetta stop. The address is Fondamenta Priuli, Dorsoduro 1016 . A huge plate of spaghetti Scoglio (shell fish) is 11 Euro but it is loaded with Mussels, prawns, clams etc. etc. If you get a second course you could split it with another person. Delicious. (See Picture)
The Hotel Bernardi is a great value for Venice. I would definatley stay here again.

8  Thank Italy042006
Reviewed April 15, 2006

The hotel is just a short walk from the vaporetto stops. It is located in a very quiet and safe area with lots of restaraunts and shops close by. The people at the hotel were very friendly and really went out of their way to help me. The rooms were spotless. My only complaint was that there wasn't a bathroom on my floor (ground level), but it wasn't a big deal to climb a few stairs. I would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank sarabc99
Reviewed March 25, 2006

We stayed in one of the rooms in the hotel annex (E120/night) for four nights; I chose this hotel in part because they had rooms that could hold four people (our two kids were with us). The room we had (#5 on the second floor - the floor above the ground floor) was large, furnished nicely, very clean, and had a seemingly recently renovated bathroom (with a great towel warmer). The morning continental breakfast (included) was more than adequate and consisted of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate, fresh rolls, cake/pastry, orange juice, and yogurt on some mornings. The location seemed as convenient as any, it was certainly as easy to walk to San Marco as it was to take a vaporetto there.

I recommend the bar/restaurant directly across the narrow street from the hotel office. The have a wide assortment of cichetti (mostly fish and shellfish appetizers/tapas) that, along with their house white wine make for a good, cheap evening meal.

If you don't like fish, then you should probably admit that you are an incomplete person, unworthy of the best Italian food, stay at home and eat at the Olive Garden. My kids hate fish, but they managed to always find something to eat (they are unworthy too, but I take them along anyway!).

Regarding the hotel, the proprietors responded quickly to my e-mail inquiry, they take credit cards (I guess not that unusual these days!), and the rooms were always made up every day while we were out seeing the sights. If you are arriving on the Aliluguna boat from the airport, get off at Fondamento (sp?) Nuove, head south on a five to ten minute walk to San Apostoli church and you'll be within a hundred meters of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2006