“Lovely room on canal but very basic”

Antica Locanda Montin
Ranked #118 of 470 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here with partner in 2000 and had room on canal. We thought it was charming and basic. Not much has changed or been touched since when I stayed in September 2012. Go for rooms with canal balcony otherwise I am not sure its worth it. I love the location and yes a couple of noisy people on the street can wake you easily in the night but that's because the silence in Venice is so still. Cant say much for the restaurant as the breakfast which was also basic did not recommend it so we ate at the Enoteca Ai Artisti around the corner (wonderful food). The hosts grow on you eventually, they are good natured. A little bit more effort with the rooms would help. Hopefully renovations in the winter will bring me back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Antica Locanda Montin

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I loved the fact that we were allocated a room overlooking the canal as I had asked. I loved the view from our room in the morning.

The room was quite large and clean but basic which was fine for the price. Wi-Fi access was available downstairs. The hotel was decorated with various artwork and rather ambiant.

The value was unbeatable.

However, the location was quite a distance from St Marks and unlike some hotels where you can walk everywhere, with this one, a Vaporetto ride to get anywhere was the norm.

After hours, access to the hotel is through a heavy metal door. On the first night, the noise from guests banging that door coming back after their night out made sleep impossible.

The lasting impression I was left of this hotel was soured by our experience on the last day when we checked out and there was a dispute about the bill, the price of which I had caused to be confirmed on the day we arrived. We ended up paying the higher amount despite this but when we went to collect our luggage several hours later, the same fellow at the counter completely ignored us despite me greeting him and then thanking him.

I don't think due to those few issues that I would stay here again. I would however dine again at their restaurant which was delightful.

Room Tip: Room 11 (the triple room) overlooks the canal
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tropicgirl39
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place gives you the feel of staying in someone's home. The room is a basic room with a view of the canal. The room and bathroom were large. I stayed with a friend and we had a full size bed and a twin bed. A simple breakfast was included which was nice, and the location is a short walk from the Zattere vaporetto stop as well as walking distance to San Marco. The neighborhood is on the quiet side, and the staff is very friendly. I was having trouble connecting to the internet with my phone and they let me use their personal computer in the office. There are great restaurants within walking distance. For someone who is just looking for a place to sleep at night while spending most of their time out exploring the city, this is a great choice!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ronnie T
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Yes, 20 years ago, and it appears to have changed not one whit. Bare, clean terrazzo floors, walls packed with paintings, extremely simple. No television, very basic breakfast, an entry it shares with its arbor-roofed restaurant. I know Venice is expensive, surely more even in comparison than it was then, but I still find it difficult to comprehend almost $200 for the room. During the biennale and on a weekend, rooms were tight, but I did feel glad to get it. And they, unlike many of the restaurants in Venice, will answer emails.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank lemons1
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is a very basic room, but was clean and had a nice view of the courtyard. It is in a very nice location in Dorsoduro. There are very nice restaurants around and it is close to the Zattere vaporetto stop. The staff downstairs was very nice, breakfast was good with rolls and cereals. Early checkout procedures was very easy. It is pretty basic for the price paid, but we found that everything is so overpriced in Venice so don't think it was out of the norm.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CJPress
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I booked a room in this hotel for the second week in July. A close friend of mine passed away a few days before the trip, so I have to postpone the trip for a week. I did book a non-refundable room, but I was hoping given the circumstances, I could postpone my stay for a week. I called Expedia and they spoke with the owner Georgio and he refused to move the dates. He claimed to already have billed my credit card and couldn't process a refund. II knew this wasn't true since he wasn't supposed to bill until checkout, Expedia called several times to try to persuade him to accomodate us, but he was adamant that he would not change the reservation. When I spoke with my credit card company, they told me he billed my credit card after we had spoken with him. I know it was a non-refundable room, but given the circumstances, I would expect a little compassion and leeway. Wouldn't deal with this hotel owner. If you had a problem, he would not be sympathetic. So, I am out for a 3 night stay and had to make other arrangements in Venice. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Trish P
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Locanda Montin for two nights. It has a very quiet location but the restaurant can be noisy. The owners are very friendly and remembered me staying there almost 30 years ago. Ask for room #1 on the top floor. It had A/C which was very welcome. The restaurant served very good food but it was expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with A/C
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family