“Wonderful and warm hotel”
Review of Hotel Al Piave

Hotel Al Piave
Ranked #56 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Long Beach, California
“Wonderful and warm hotel”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

If you are in Venice you must stay at the small but charming Hotel Al Piave. Family operated by Paolo, Mirella and daughter Ilaria, you won't find a better venue for the money. We have stayed here twice and would not think of staying elsewhere in Venice. It is like coming home. Wonderful rooms, well located to all of Venice, a lovely breakfast room and breakfast foods, helpful and polite staff....a real Gem!

Room Tip: The small hotel is lovely, but if you want more privacy they have two apartments or "family sui...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Polly B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Last month our family of 7 stayed at Hotel al Piave for two nights (we are 3 adult couples and a 13 yr old grandchild). I was pleased by how new and beautiful the rooms were! VERY comfortable! The Hotel is reasonably priced especially considering the great location near to San Marcos Piazza. The morning breakfast was superb. But the best thing was the people who work there. It's a family owned business and they went out of their way for us. If I ever get to go to Venice again I'll definitely stay at Hotel al Piave.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank VDenn270
Georgia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had just three days in Venice, I was a married artist traveling alone, and the staff of Al Piave helped me make the most of my time there with directions and suggestions for everything from transportation to music events to restaurants for specific menu items (like Chiogga fish soup at Jardinette!) They were very patient with my questions, and every one there is VERY good at drawing the route from place to place. I felt very safe at Al Piave -- they patiently helped and advised without condescension. I found the locks a bit difficult to use, so one of the maintenance staff members gave me a lesson and watched until I had mastered the touch.

I loved my room, which had a little kitchen and a clothes washing machine. All of the windows open beautifully for fresh air, and their were shutters, blinds, and curtains for whatever degree of privacy I wanted. The floor is marble, and the wood is beautifully maintained.

The breakfast, included in the room rate, was outstanding and generous. After long days of walking and studying art, I appreciated that it was served until 10 am. And, yes, I had eggs made to order for me every morning. I loved the big fat prunes, granola, cakes, and most of all, my cafe au lait that was a pot of smooth coffee and a pot of hot frothed milk that I could combine as I liked.

I loved the location in the Castello. Yes, I traveled in the evening with my rolling suitcase through narrow passage ways and over the stepped bridges -- this made me feel like I had arrived in a placed like no other. Be sure to look up for the painted name of streets near the second floor of most intersections -- the Al Piave street name, "Ruga Giuffa," is a bit difficult to spot.

Because of the location of Al Piave near to the Querini, I visited that house museum and garden, and enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. If narrow stairs are difficult for you to manage or if you are particularly tal...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Art_Prof_GA
Sosua, Dominican Republic
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at this lovely family owned hotel. This was a last minute reservation for 3 rooms - my parents, my sister & her husband and for me, my husband and daughter. They accomodated us beautifully! The rooms are superclean and comfortable and nice modern bathrooms. The staff is outstandingly nice and speak very good English. Breakfast the next morning had lots of selections. The hotel has a perfect location right in the heart of Venice and minutes to San Marco's Square. They have even helped me to recover a jacket that I forgot in our room. If we ever go back to Venice, we would definitely stay at Hotel al Piave again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wowwygazowie
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Pros first - location was good - near San Marco. The Breakfast was lovely - the waitstaff was wonderful. Unfortunately, I have to say that the website and advertising is very misleading. We paid extra to have a balcony and were very excited about this hotel due to other reviews and after speaking with the hotel itself. When we arrived, we were led across the street and had to walk up 57 stairs to our room (I counted) with our luggage! NOT FUN! There is a lift in the main hotel, but of course, that is not where our room was located. The room itself was horrible - it was the top floor and the ceiling was slanted - SEVERELY - I cannot tell you how many times we hit our head on it. The bathroom was terribly small - uncomfortably so. There was a balcony but it was practically sitting in the living room of the house next door and there was absolutely no view from it. Needless to say, we were terribly disappointed. We gave the hotel desk a chance to fix this but they were not interested. The morning of our departure, we bumped into the manager who said she would move us into another room but it was too late. We learned a lesson the hard way. We paid significantly more (2.5 times more) for this room than any other room in Italy and it was the only hotel that disappointed. I sincerely hope this helps.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Barb B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay here. The staff was exceptionally nice and very helpful. Definitely top notch service. The breakfast buffet was delicious (eggs anyway you like). Excellent location near San Marco & the Rialto Bridge. Our room was large, comfy, clean, and spacious.

Cons:
Little Bugs were all over the ceiling (I speculate that this is common in Venice)
When we first arrived, we got lost once we got off the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop (but once you are familiar with the area, you can get there in a breeze)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erika Z
Piave, Owner at Hotel Al Piave, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Hello! We thank you for your kind review about our hotel. I feel I have just to reply to one point, You write in your review that there were" small bugs" on the ceiling. Those are absolutely NO BUGs. it is import for us to clarify this. On the opposite side of our building there is a courtyard with a little vineyard. Only in September and October which are the grapes months , there can be little flies in the air. We call them "moscerini del vino" that means wine flies. There is nothing to do with them, as they disappear already towards the end of October. those are very small flies that absolutely do not bite .There is no product that can make them disappear and they do not do any damage at all. Their presence has nothing to do with the cleaness and care of our rooms.
Thank you for your kind words about us, I hope you understand it was important for us to reply about this point.
Kind regards
Ilaria
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I spent three nights at the Hotel Al Piave. Our room was immaculate; the bed comfortable. The bathroom had lots of hot water and strong water pressure. The breakfast was excellent! Eggs, yoghurt, cakes, rolls, cold cuts and cheeses were provided. The coffees were delicious. Claudio made our visit especially memorable. He gave us tips and information on the city of Venice and helped my husband with his Italian phrases! Our stay was quiet but we found we were close to almost everything.
It is a little hard to find. Follow the instructions on the website. When you turn right at the pharmacy, continue straight even if it looks like it is a narrow, tiny alley way. I would recommend the Hotel Al Piave to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple