“Alex the gondolier was the best part!”
Review of Hotel San Samuele

Ranked #96 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed November 20, 2007

We were traveling with 5 adults and the family suite was great. Alex took us out for a gondola tour at night . It was spectacular! Nice and clean, helpful and friendly, plus close to everything. Would definitely stay there again!

Bryan in Seattle

Stayed: November 2007
HotelSanSamuele, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel San Samuele, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2016

Dear Bryan,
We are happy that you all enjoyed your stay in our family suite.
Thank you for this beautiful review and for sharing your experience here in Tripadvisor.
All your compliments are a real incentive for us, encourage us to continue in the direction we have taken, to give our best and satisfy our guests.
We would wait you open arms whenever your would come again in our hotel.

Reviewed October 23, 2007

I'm a young, solo traveller. I normally stay in hostels. However, since Venice's hostels aren't on the main island, I decided to go for a hostel. After a quite depressing search for a place to stay, I was thrilled to come across San Samuele (found it in my guidebook, and all the trip advisor reviews that i read were very pleasant).
I was offered a single for 3 nights (during the week) for 59 euro a night. A pleasant surprise at arrival: you get a 5% discount if you pay in cash. No problem! I TRIED to find a bad review on the internet - and i couldn't. Every other place I looked at in venice was at least 80, if not 95 for a single.
No breakfast is offered at their hotel, however, you can eat for 5 euro at one of their sister hotels, which are very close to San Samuele. 5 euros was not bad - for the chance to actually SIT DOWN while eating in venice and not feel rushed (cereal, fresh rolls, croissants, etc).
My "single" was actually a double bed, and the room size was fine. It's very basic - but with a sink in the room, which was a nice touch. The bathroom was shared - but it was always available, always CLEAN, and they also provide some soap and shower gel and GREAT towels (been to similar places that have sandpaper for towels).
The staff was always friendly (both at San Samuel and at Art Deco, where I ate breakfast). Samol speaks excellent English, and was always pleasant!
The hotel is very easy to find, and is just a 3 min walk from the San Samuele Vaporetto stop, which is great, as when you arrive in Venice, you dont have your bearings, and it can be difficult to get around if you've not brought a good map).
I will definitely stay at San Samuele if/when I return to Venice, and I will encourage any of my friends to stay there too!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Sip79

Dear guest,
thanks for sharing your experience here in tripadvisor and for all the time you spent to write this beautiful review.
We are delighted to read that the title you chose is: “a venitian gem”.
It’s nice to know that you decided to stay in our hotel thanks to all the beautiful review that all our guests leave here. We are happy that you wrote yours.
We always try to mantain our prices competitive, but with a good quality and with all the services needed to enjoy a good holiday in Venice.
Thanks for saying that you liked the service, the room, the location and the affordability, we think too that those are our strenght points.
We are very happy to read that you would return to our hotel, it’s what we hope from all our guests, we’ll wait you open arms.

Reviewed October 19, 2007

Venice is expensive, but this is a great little place very close to the San Samuele vaporetto stop. I had a single room with the shared bathroom. Both were very clean and I never had to wait for the bathroom. Good place for the price.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank WanderingK

Dear guest,
thank you for this beautiful review.
We are happy that you found our hotel a cute and quiet place to stay during your holidays in Venice.
The cleanliness is an important point for us both for the room and the bathroom, but also in all the areas of the hotel, we always try to offer good prices and a good service.

Reviewed October 2, 2007

I stayed here with my mum. In other cities of Italy we got much better places for less money, but the truth is that Venice is incredibly expensive. So I do recommend this place as it is very well located in San Marck's area, near the vaporetto, but in a quiet corner so you can sleep well. They will treat you well and you will have a bed and a toilet. Don't expect anything great as it is quite basic, there's no aircon (though we did not need it) TV or breackfast included. But it's nice. We stayed in room 4. The view from the room window was very charming (see photos). The best about it is the location, and I honestly don't think you can get anymuch better than this for that money.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank laug77

Dear guest,
we are glad to read that you and your mum enjoyed your trip in Venice and the stay in our hotel.
We are happy that you pointed out our great position, as you said we are located near the centre and all the hotspots, and also the vaporetto stop.
Our hotel is a 1 star hotel, but we provide everything to make your journey pleasant and comfortable.

Reviewed August 20, 2007

After contacting what seemed like a hundred hotels, which were all sold out, my husband and I found this property and booked three nights in late May. As we were traveling for several weeks, we were trying to keep our accomodations budget down, and the prices here are incredibly reasonable considering what a great location this property has - walking distance to basically everywhere in venice, right next to a traghetto and vaporetto stop, but far enough from the tourist circus to feel authentic and charming. Our room was on the top floor and was quite small, adequate but somewhat shabby, and we had the shared bath. In three days we were never able to shower on our floor, we always had to go downstairs to find an available bathroom, and there was always someone waiting for the shower after us, so the shared baths can get a bit crowded. Despite that, the bathrooms were very clean. It was really warm the week we visited, but the hotel gave us a fan, which was fine. No breakfast, but that was fine as well - we tried the breakfast at the sister hotel one day and it was not very good - cappuccino at a cafe was much better. This is definitely a great find for a budget traveler that wants to stay in the heart of Venice.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsTaco
Reviewed July 1, 2007

My husband and I just returned from Italy! As we were backpacking through Italy for 2 weeks, our main concerns with booking accomodations were (1) Location (2) Price. Albergo San Samuele far surpassed our expectations of both of these criteria. This hotel is located in such a charming nightlife... a quick walk to St. Mark's... an even quicker walk to Academia & Dorsoduro (a great area to enjoy a late meal, gelatto, and night stroll). The room was small, but very clean. Again on a budget, we opted to share the bathroom, which was very clean and always available. This is a great choice for the budget traveler, who really wants to be in the heart of Venice.
Krista, Buffalo, New York

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank KMPBuffalo

Dear Krista,
thanks for your review. We’re happy that our hotel fitted all your needs: a good location in the heart of Venice and a cheap accomodation.
Your words convey a lot of enthusiasm and satisfaction for all our services. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you liked so much our positon.
As you wrote we are located in a good area near St. Mark’s Square and at the same time a nice neighbourhood.

Reviewed June 25, 2007

I have never used a one-star hotel before, but my traveling companions were on a stricter budget than I, so I accepted the challenge of finding an acceptable one-star hotel.

I tried all the convent hotels that were in good locations, and when I learned all were full (the Bienniale di Venetia was going on while we were there it turned out), I started looking at regular hotels. A couple guide books had good things to say about Albergo San Samuele, so I took a chance on it.

I would have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The location was perfect: walking distance to San Marco, Rialto and Accademia, as well as vaporetto and traghetto stops, but far enough away from these tourist honeypots to feel like a neighborhood.

There are several decent trattorias within a couple blocks (walking toward the nearest large campo), and several bars on the campo from which to relax with a cold drink at an outdoor table and observe the nightly passeggiata. There were also interesting galleries and antique stores, and if one wanted to get picnic food, at least one small grocery store close by.

The Italian staff at the hotel were quite pleasant. One spoke English quite well, another didn't speak it at all. I speak Italian, so that wasn't a problem.

The room was small, but very clean and pleasant. The bed was very comfortable. I would have liked somewhere to sit and read at night as the tiny lamps next to the bed were no good for reading. Next time, I would bring a little book light.

My room was on the front of the hotel, and there was some street noise (people talking and the clatter of dishes from the trattoria down the street), especially on the weekend, but I found that closing both shutters and interior windows helped a lot. It eventually got quiet when the trattoria closed around midnight.

We were there in the first half of June, and it was hotter and more humid than I was expecting, so I was greatly relieved to find that the room was equipped with a nice fan that kept me comfortable during the night. (I'm not sure it would be enough for July and August, however.) It also came in handy for drying my hand wash.

I feel I should warn that the lack of elevator could be a problem for those with physical limitations. My room was on the first floor (i.e. one floor up), but that required ascending 38 steps just to get to that floor, and I was plenty tired and winded when I finally got there. That is also the floor where the reception desk is located, so that is the minimum number of steps quests must ascend. The second floor is another good climb.

On balance, I found this to be a pleasant hotel: clean, comfortable, excellent location, and very good value. I would go back again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank LindaRas

Dear Linda,
thank you for this fantastic review and the time you spent to write it.
We are very happy to read your stay with your companions has been successful thanks to our position and our prices.
Your descriptions omit nothing and we are glad you were so satisfied with all the services we provide.
Our strategic location is certainly helpful and the magic of this wonderful city does the rest.
There are so many things to do and places to visit, and we love to suggest our guests and give them advices to explore the city.
It’s a real pleasure to us to share our love for Venice with all our guests.