“Great hotel, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Riva

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Venice
Hotel Riva
Ranked #307 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Great hotel, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Had a great experience at this hotel. Our room was on the second floor and had a window that looked out onto the canal. I needed a hair dryer and they were more than happy to loan me one. The room was a good size and was comfortable. The hotel was super close to St. Mark's and really was in a great location for exploring the city.

Room Tip: A higher room might be a tad quieter. We were close to the canal (second floor), which is great if...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank paigef19

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Northumberland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Fourth time at the riva, always a nice place to stay; fab location and the lady who runs the place is lovely. Was undergoing a refurb when we were there so we stayed the first night at some apartment a few metres from the main hotel. Breakfast was in a nearby cafe which was ok, except for being mugged for €7 for an orange juice "that isn't included in the breakfast".

Still, once it's refurbed and doing their own breakfasts again we'll be back for out fifth visit.

• Stayed October 2011
6 Thank DigitalPlumber1
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We took the water bus from the airport to St. Marks. It was easy to find the hotel using the map that we had printed out from their web site. We arrived at the hotel early in the morning and were instructed to leave our luggage right there in the lobby while we went out to see the city. And it was fine. We had to carry our bags up several floors as there is no elevator but we were rewarded with a corner room overlooking two canals. There were three large windows that opened to the most fabulous views. It is what you travel to Venice to experience. Gondolas, water taxis, singing, accordions playing. Just wonderful. It is close to St. Marks Square with lots of shops and restaurants. There was plenty of hot water in the rather small bathroom. You must go downstairs to use the internet. There is a small breakfast served in the morning that consists of American style coffee (that was a good thing for us) and bread with Nutella. Not a bad way to start the day. The room is charming with a Merano glass chandelier and breezes flowing in those wonderful windows but unfortunately the beds leave a lot to be desired. That would not keep me from staying here or recommending it to others, just letting you know.

Room Tip: I didn't go into any other rooms but we loved the corner room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank KentuckyCathy
Sandpoint, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

We booked a corner room with canal view. A day before our scheduled arrival we received an e mail advising us that due to flooding problems we were changed to an inside room. Upon our arrival we asked to see the room before checking in. The clerk made no secret about how put out he was that we would have the audacity to make such a request. The room was large and very nicely furnished though it lacked even a single chair much less a desk or table at which one might write. The bath was quite small. The towels were thin and seemingly made of sandpaper. The bed was adequate but the pillows were as hard as rocks. In the morning I went to the breakfast room expecting to use the included wifi and have the included breakfast. I asked for the internet password in my best though admittedly not very good italian. The clerk scribbled something down on a scrap of paper but it did not work as a password when I went to her for clarification she irritatingly spoke to me in very rapid Italian. While I understand Italian to a limited degree I could not make sense of her. This irritated her even more and she showed me the way to a coffee shop around the corner where she said we'd be having breakfast. We received coffee and a croissant and no internet. I u derstand how a hotel can have a problem but the attitude of the staff was intolerable. The two bed bug bites I received on my first night in Venice were an unwelcome bonus.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dennis m

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I have stayed two times in Hotel Riva and enjoyed both visits very much. Very close to the boats and thus moving through crowds with luggage is a small task. The hotel is tucked away so do your homework in finding out where it is. It will surprise you how very close it is to Piazza San Marco and yet how quiet your room is. Yes, many of the rooms were small -in March 2009, I traveled with my brother and we had singles- but during my recent visit, May 2011, I was with husband and 2 other couples and so we had 3 doubles. Those rooms are a nice size.The staff is most accomodating and friendly. Okay, there is no lift and the breakfast is minimal however I have been in Venice seven times since 2001 but enjoyed my stay at Hotel Riva more than any other hotel. I am planning another trip for 2012 and hope to find open rooms for that trip.

Room Tip: I would advise choosing the option of a canal view. The light and view add to one's enjoyment.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JudithW W
Metropolis, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed two nights at the Riva with two sisters. We went to the hotel from the train station by vaporetto and followed Rick Steves' directions, so it was easy to find. Just be sure you get the vaporetto in the direction toward St. Mark's. The hotel is quite close to St. Mark's Square. We are senior citizens, so the lovely marble stairs, even with our small suitcases, were a challenge. However, when we got to our room, it was worth it. The view out the window of the canals and the gondoliers made me feel like I truly was in Venice. The room was not large, but it was adequate. The furnishings were attractive and the room and bathroom were clean. I thought the Riva was a lovely, small hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank BKB629
Redlands, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

Hotel Riva is in a good location and the staff was courteous and friendly. The room we had was on the 4th floor and it was difficult carrying luggage up four flights of stairs (no elevator). It was also warm and humid when we visited so I was drenched after that exercise. The room was tiny. We shared a common bathroom with three other rooms. It is not air conditioned but they did provide a fan. The room overlooked one of the canals; this was fun but also added to the noise as power boats also use the canals. My wife and I like more comfort and something less rigourous. At 100 euro, however, it was a bargain for Venice. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Choose one of their air conditioned rooms and on the lowest floor possible; preferably first floor...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple