“Singing Gondola's”

Ranked #262 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Noosa, Australia
“Singing Gondola's”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We loved this little hotel which is just around the corner from Rialto Bridge & close to St Marks Square. Take a Canal room & you'll be serenaded by passing gondolas singing haunting operatic pieces as they pass your window - priceless!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank CGinEspania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and the hotel overall is very nice. The rooms are small and our window was away from the street, hence there was little light. But if you want to explore the city, it doesn't matter.

Breakfast was alright, fresh fruit and some bread, cereal and good coffee.

For the price it's ok, the walk from the San Marcos square is short and you are right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed August 2012
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Partner and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights when we were in venice in June 2012. It is an ok hotel, worked well enough to sleep and as a base for our trips.

PROS:
Fantastic location: you are in the middle of things and only a 5 min walk away from the San Marco square. For the price we paid for this hotel (110euros per night) I thought it was a really good deal.
Rooms are nicely decorated, though smelly (see below).
Good size room (you're in Venice, don't expect massive rooms unless you pay big bucks)
Bathroom clean
Airconditioning working well

Neutral
Breakfast was ok. Good for Italian standards, and good for the price of the hotel
No elevator, but that is normal in Venice (and honestly, two or three flights of stairs are only a struggle if you are overweight or disabled)

Cons
UNFRIENDLY!!! We found a lot of locals very unfriendly, but we had hoped that at least the people in the hotel would be kind. They are not. Lady at reception barks at you at check in, lady at breakfast looks like she is going to eat you alive if you dare ask for anything. NOT pleasant and a major turn off.
Strange smell in the room: the room was fully upholstered which looked really romantic, but there was an odd smell that reminded me of dust and cigarettes. We kept the window open for most of the evening to get some fresh air. Unfortunately it also affected my good night sleep,as I sometimes felt like I was suffocating a bit. I think someone with asthma or allergies would have really struggled in that room!

Conclusion: if you want a hotel in a really good location and couldn't care less about service or a fancy room, this hotel will do fine. But if you like a smiling face when you walk into the hotel and a comfortable room, stay far far away from this place.
I think if we were to do this again, we would get a hotel a bit further away that was nicer and friendlier, and just walk a little bit longer when we wanted to see things.

I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Please guys listen careful. Don't think it's a 3 STARS hotel.
I lost like 330,00 Euros becose
No extra pillows, no elevator, no extra blancket, no water or somthing to drink at night. The TV, was only 3 or 4 channels with very bad image.

I ask for extra pillow for my wife, they attender ask me to wait 10 minutes, i wait like 20 and got down again, he didnt even lokked at me, not once. Always rude on tone voice and never look at me when i was talking to him. I ask him again nicely about the pillows, then he told me he couldnt leave the reception. I explain to him nicely again that i need that extra pillow for my wife. And he said its not a politica from the hotel give another pillow. But until he said that i was waiting for 30 minutes!!
I insist, and every time i try to talk to him about it he said "go to sleep", and keep repeting that everytime i try to say something! I couldt sleep anymore, i was so nervous but i couldnt do nothing! Next day i check out, went to other hotel and LOST 330,00 Euros. And guys, even if those things didnt happened to us this hotel with all working DONT WORTH that money! Now i ll ask for VENERIA website for refund me for 2 days and the most important. VENERIA.com PLEASE DON'T SEEL THIS HOTEL FOR NO1 ELSE!! IT's not FAIR!!

Room Tip: Don't choose any room, go to another Hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed May 30, 2012

It was so (unseasonably) cold in our room, we kept waking up. The next day we asked how to work the heater, they said it had been turned off for the summer. A blanket? No, they only had sheets. We asked to speak to the manager. He 'wasn't in Venice', come back tomorrow. The next day, the manager "didn't turn up this morning". Eventually another receptionist told us that the manager was almost never there because he ran 'many other hotels'.
Asking if we could somehow make a complaint to the manager because we couldn't sleep in a room we'd paid 200 euros a night for, we were told that 'the room is very nice, you can't complain'. There was no sense of customer service from one woman in particular, who refused to speak to us in either French or English despite speaking both languages, answering our questions only in Italian.
Another disappointment was the roof terrace, which is very badly looked after, with parts of the floor stepped through and the sun loungers very dirty.
Good points: the rooms were clean and the breakfast was sufficient (if not a little cheap).
This could be a nice hotel but the manager clearly has too many priorities aside and thinks that he can rely on its central location to attract enough customers not to bother with providing them with a decent service.

Room Tip: Canal-side rooms are coldest according the receptionist.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alex m
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at the Alcyone for one night recently. The "canal" view is from the breakfast room on the ground floor, our room looked at a stucco wall only feet away. And small. There was hardly space for our luggage and us. The door did not open fully as it hit the bed at 90 degrees, and the other side of the bed was up against the wall and wardrobe. A two foot space at the foot of the bed allowed one-at-a-time navigation to the window next to the wardrobe to check out the view of the air shaft and adjacent stucco wall. The bed was pretty soft and the room overall quaint but threadbare, but the worst was that there was no elevator to the third (what we in the US would call fourth) floor. Just worn and somewhat slippery marble stairs that left us lugging our luggage up and down again. Works if you are living out of a backpack, but we were at the end of a week long cruise with two larger-than-carryon rolling bags. Location is good, but it more than the minute from Piazza San Marco that some have suggested, (at least not by any route we discovered), but is fairly close, and closer yet to the Rialto Bridge and the vaporetto and water taxi stops. While the location was good, there were plenty of options nearby, and I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Silverspringer1
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed five nights at this hotel. It certainly served its purpose for a stay in Venice. Breakfast was adequate, the coffee was quite good. Biscuits, croissants, cheese, ham etc. A few cereals to choose from. The rooms were decent sized. Some posts complained about small rooms but we had no problem there-- plenty of room for one large suit case, one carry on and a back pack. Bathroom clean, water pressure good. Nice windows that opened wide. We didnt have a view from room 201 but we did get to see into a little alley way that lead to some residents homes. The room was cleaned once per day and we were given fresh towels daily. My only complaint is that the beds were HORRIBLE. They were like sleeping on the floor. Two twins pushed together so one of us was always falling in the crack. You may want to bring a foam liner as you really will want a nice night's sleep after walking around all day. I believe the hotel advertises free wifi but it is really 3euro for one hour. The reception desk was helpful and would make reservations and recommendations if requested. There was a nice sun deck on top, perfect for drinking some prosecco and relaxing after a long day of sight seeing. Any questions just ask me!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple