“Two words describe this hotel FLEA PIT..”
Review of Hotel Tintoretto

Hotel Tintoretto
Ranked #221 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed January 12, 2007

Two words describe this hotel FLEA PIT.

We paid 130euro to stay one night in this excuse for a hotel . The hall and stairs smelt of stale milk, the room smelt of bleach, carpets where badly stained, the bathroom not only had some interesting non paying guests (some kind of human bugs) the shower looked like it belonged in a 1950s caravan!

Really this is the type of hotel that gives Venice a bad name.. This is such a shame, as there are extremely good reasonable priced hotels and B&B all over Venice.

One positive note was that the staff were friendly and the breakfast was ok.

How this hotel got such a good rating is beyond me.
My advice if your considering booking this hotel Don’t .
My advice to the hotel owner, you need to gut this building and start again!

B & N, Switzerland.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
51  Thank iTravel_with_him
There are newer reviews for Hotel Tintoretto

Reviewed December 9, 2006

We recently stayed at this hotel in the seperate section of the hotel in the alley on the opposite side of the street & can say that during our 4 nights it was always clean, quiet & safe. Staff were friendly & let us check in early which meant we where free to explore early without our bags & having freshened up. The main point for me about the hotel is its great location & good value price (also easy to find) although for first time vistors perhaps you may like something closer to San Marco as this hotel is approx 20mins pleasant walk from there

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank TravelNow_WorkLater
Reviewed November 9, 2006

I am a travel consultant for a wholesale luxury Europeon tour operator in the states. Please avoid any photos posted by this hotel because they are VERY deceiving. I would have taken a picture but I was afraid my camera would melt. We had been booked two nights in Venice to do hotel inspections the end of this last October. I was shocked to find that this Exclusive Hotel was ever considered an option for any of our clients or our staff as well. We had a charming greeting from a very friendly manager behind the desk. He allowed us an early check in because our rooms were available early. Let me explain to you just why.

He escorted us across the alley away from the main hotel to a narrow corridor to enter another part of the hotel. Not unusual. This was not the problem, it all happened as soon as he opened the door to this section of the hotel. GASP!!! It smelled as if someone had taken a dirty fragmented diaper and spread its containments all over the entry, halls, walls, curtains and EVEN our rooms!! It was HORRIBLE. My eyes were watering. As soon as the sweet, but abviously (smell) senses challenged manager left I opened every window in the entire building, and sprayed fruity body spray all over the room. I went on my busy way through Venice and returned exhausted to the dirty, stained and stinky entrance, halls and walls. As long as I continued to keep the windows open and spray the room I had no other option, it was to late to relocate on my study trip. There were two of us here and each room was equally as trecherous.

The following morning we went down to a less than hopeful continetal breakfast where the only good thing about the hotel was found; a homemade croissant, but then were let down again by the disgusting instant coffee. Oh well.

My advice to the hotel would be to strip the carpet and the halls and maybe fix the plumbing. It truly seemed that they had some flooding issue (not from the canals this building structure was on a second floor) from the sewer, and NEVER put people in here until its been done. They are going to make someone really sick. If not from the breakfast, definetly the musky moldy rotten hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
21  Thank ShannonM
Reviewed October 22, 2006

We booked through a call centre and got a reasonable price for the room. This hotel is in a great location with access to all areas of the main island on foot - we walked every street it seemed! Access to the hotel is normally via the vaporetto stops. They look close by on the maps but be prepared for a walk and to take your luggage up and over a few bridges to get there. Of course if you have lots of money you can take a water taxi right to the rear of the restaurant next to the hotel.
We arrived earlier than planned and we were able to gain access to our room before the stated time- always a plus!
The room was on the top floor of the annex and thanks to earlier reviews I knew that there was no lift. It wasn't a problem for us but if you have trouble with steps then you'll have trouble with Venice, never mind the hotel. I was surprised how few facilities there were for the disabled in the city.
The location just off the Strada Nova was great. The continental breakfast in the restaurant attached was fine, cereal, dried fruits, toast, bread rolls, jam and a kettle for hot water for tea. The coffee from the urn wasn't up to much but it was no problem to get a cappuccino made together with an espresso for an extra zing!
The room was large with a king bed and windows onto the canal. The decoration was a little tired but how many nights do you stay in Venice anyway?
My only concern was security. The annex door was opened by request to the reception desk in the main building. That was the theory but many times we found the door wide open anyway during the day. Apart from that we had a very enjoyable stay and would consider using the hotel again.
Many reveiws complain about the price and quality of food. We didn't find the prices too bad (it is a tourist city) and if you look for places where others are eating you can check out the food and the menu before you buy. The ice cream is great value at around 1 Euro a scoop. The best meal we had was at Ai Do Mati on the Gran Viale - Lido. The best pizza I ever tasted. There was so much topping it seemed like a deep dish. It was enormous and the price was less than 10 Euro. Unless you have a huge appetite order one for two people first.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank oscararts
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Before arriving to Venice I was so worried about trailing our suitcases down small alleyways trying to find this hotel.. but suprisingly it was easy to find... just off one of the main street ,strada nova which is like a high street ... containing a supermarket which was very handy but always very busy, numerous banks and even a macdonalds for the fussy eaters..

the hotel was in a great position for all the must see sites.. 5 mins walk from the rialto, and 10 mins walk from the piazza san marco... depending how adventurous and how lost you get.....but dont worry there are clear signs. dont bother with maps just walk and enjoy the "adventure" you get to see the quiet parts of venice where the locals live, but dont bother asking the locals.. the local venetians are not as friendly as i originally thought they would be but dont let that spoil your holiday.

we arrived at marco polo at midnight so we didnt want to wait for a bus so just took a water taxi... coming into venice at night was amazing... the taxi cost about 80 euros, which was expensive but at that time of night I would have paid anything..it dropped us right by the hotel which was great... arriving at the hotel the first impression was that it was sweet and quaint... the gentleman behind the reception wasnt as hepful as I'd hoped...he just give us the key and a remote control.. didnt even tell us which room we were in... 3 young girls, and three suitcase and 3 flights of stairs later we found our room... it was clean but nothing special...breakfast was ok... normal continental breakfast.. nothing special but it was enough...

we went in august and we were so glad there was air con in the hotel as the weather was so hot... be prepared with insect repellant because our room looked onto the canal behind the hotel which meant unwanted visitors... ontop of that i suspected there was a small case of bed bugs as one of us came out in a mysterious rash on our leg which didnt look like a mosquito bite.

I wouldnt stay here again but..all in all... we loved Venice but I do warn you.. get your credit card ready because everything is so expensive..if you go to piazza san marco dont sit down in the cafes in the square as they charge you 10 euros for a coke which is about £6/7.. watch out for the street traders who have handbags, belts and sunglasses laid infornt of you on a bed sheet... you can get a bargain but they are very aggressive sellers so they will follow you down the street so my advice is to be careful... and gondola rides are expensive but a must do.. we paid 100 euros outside the rialto hotel, but other places we more expenisve.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
9  Thank hotbabelily
Reviewed July 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Tintoretto for four nights in June/July of this year. We loved the location -- much better than the touristy Grand Canal area, which we couldn't wait to get away from. Not to mention it's a lot cheaper, too. The hotel personnel were very nice and the room (the "French room") in the hotel annex was very small but air conditioned and quite adequate for our needs, although it is not a place you want to spend a lot of time in. The continental breakfast was good, although nothing special, but the garden restaurant where it is served was very pleasant. We also had dinner at the restaurant and thought it was excellent. There are several other restaurants and bars in the immediate vicinity and also a laundromat about six blocks away, which came in very handy. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shario
Reviewed March 11, 2006

The Tintoretto Hotel was in a good location, walking distance to the main attractions but away from the main thorough fares. Our room which was around the corner from the main part of the hotel, was compact. The room described as a 'French Room' had a standard UK double bed and a clean en-suite shower room, old beams and traditional shutters on the windows which added character. The walls were a little thin so you could hear some noise from the restaurant below. We had a plentiful but not very exciting breakfast in the hotel restaurant. This was included in the cost of our room, so no complaints. Staff were friendly.

Venice is quite expensive and you don't always get value for money in restaurants. However, don't let this cloud the enjoyment of what is undoubtedly, a stunning city on water.

• Stayed: March 2006