“TERRIBLE ! !”
Review of Hotel Tintoretto

Hotel Tintoretto
Ranked #223 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We payd 40,-- euro a night, but it was worth not more then 20,-- euro !

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Deniseandhusband

Reviewed October 29, 2010

Due to the season and a friend who prides himself on bargaining for hotel rooms, I visited Venice in January for 40 euros/night, no breakfast. For that price, it was fine. Service seemed to be non-existent, but I was out all day, so didn't care. My single room was cute with an old wooden wardrobe and an interesting view out on a marble statue maker's yard across the alley. The location was very convenient for shops and food stores. Quiet at night.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I booked Hotel Tintoretto a month in advance after meticulously sifting through all the hotels in a similar price range, I decided on Tintoretto due to good tripadvisor reviews, the price and the location.
I arrived at the hotel just before midnight (which was extremely difficult to find despite my printing out the route on google maps before hand). The man at the desk began by saying that there was a problem with my room, that the shower had broken and that there was water everywhere. He continued by saying that he had a friend who had a hotel down the road, and that I would be staying there instead (which he phrased as a statement not as a request). Obviously I have no proof as to whether this was true or not, but I get the feeling that they had overbooked and had simply decided to move me at their convenience. He showed me a handwritten list of guests and their associated room numbers, to which he said "The whole floor is flooded" yet I noticed that it was only my name that had another hotel allocated to it. He said to me that if I had a problem with it, I could come back the next morning and talk to the manager as he was only the night watchman. His "friend" then appeared at the door and told me that he would take me to the second hotel.
As a young female solo traveller, the idea of following a complete stranger through the deserted streets of an unknown city in the dead of the night, didn't particularly appeal to me, but Tintoretto didn't really give me any choice.
The new hotel was adequate and that was it. I had paid 90€ in advance for Tintoretto and the new hotel definately wasn't worth this.
Although I could have returned the next morning to complain to the manager, as I only had 2 days in Venice, I was not particularly eager to waste half my morning arguing with hotel staff nor spending the rest of the morning moving hotels.
As a result of this, although I cannot actually provide a review for the rooms at Tintoretto, I will say that the service did not leave a positive impression and I would never reccommend the hotel to anyone I know.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank Lillian-Melbourne
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Tintoretto at the end of July, 2010. As other reviewers have mentioned, it's a little tricky to find as it's tucked away off the main street. The obvious benefit of this is the lack of street noise. The location is decent, close to a grocery store, restaurants and a nice little strip with stores and cafes.

Our room was not particularly nice. Weird plastic floors and uncomfortable beds. The bathroom was clean, but not great: our toilet kept flushing for quite awhile and after asking management to fix it (which was quite difficult as the hotel workers do not speak english), someone came upstairs and showed us that we have to jiggle the flush button three times for it to stop flushing (weird). Water pressure is terrible and the handle on our shower was broken. The shower curtain is chained so it can only be pulled one way (again...weird). Walls were quite thin and our room was close to the stairs which made for a disruptful sleep. I put earplugs in the second night and was fine. The room was airconditioned and had a small tv with a few channels.

Breakfast consisted of coffee, some croissants (fresh) and some yogurt and cereal. The yogurt and milk were left sitting out in the heat, so I didn't eat those. The croissants were fine.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you got an amazing deal on the room. It was perfectly acceptable, but not great.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank toronto85
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Tintoretto for 3 nights as part of a package booked through go-today.com. I do agree with some other posts that it was a little difficult to locate the first time, the directions off the hotel website proved to be a little vague, but once you've found it the first time then it's easy. It is some walking distance from the main sites but we enjoyed being away from the center of things and eating at less touristy places etc...We had a 3rd floor room, very clean...I think the cleanest bathroom I've ever had in a hotel and plenty of hot water. Good size room, very bright and airy...looked like it had been renovated fairly recently. Nice canal and church/statue yard views from our room. Staff was friendly, though there was some language barrier but our attempts at speaking Italian went a long way to ease it. The breakfast was simple but very adequate: croissants, rolls, jams & Nutella, some meat spreads to choose from, toast and cereal, coffee and 3 or 4 asstd juices. More than enough by any standards. You could dine indoors or out. The one thing we thought was a little odd was that they kept our passports during our stay...most other places just make a copy. Luckily we never needed to produce them when away from the hotel, but we did think it was a little strange. The hotel itself was very quiet, I don't think we heard another guest noise at all. The only noise we had some trouble with was a juice bar/sangria stand near the corner of the street. It seemed to attract a young local crowd at night who got very loud till the early hours of the morning. We closed our windows and it did drown most of the noise out, but if you had wanted to sleep with your windows open, it would have been impossible. No elevator but as we were traveling light it wasn't an issue. Would definitely stay again if in Venice.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank redheadtennisgirl
Reviewed March 5, 2010

A little out of the way, but it was clean, inexpensive and quiet. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We were allocated this hotel as part of a great deal booked through Travelzoo (GREAT site!). The hotel proved difficult to find and was strange in that our room was across the way from the main hotel. The room was large, quite clean and reasonably quiet but was dark and remiscent of the 80s! For the price we paid we can't grumble but if we had booked it at internet prices we would have been disappointed. Breakfast was adequate - just.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends