Review Highlights
Fun and Informative!

The cooking school takes place on the top floor of Villa Ines on the island of Lido just beside... read more

Reviewed 5 weeks ago
audreymetzger1
Portland, Oregon
via mobile
Great day at the cooking school

Ten of us attended class and had a wonderful time. We learned a lot and ate excellent food that we... read more

Reviewed October 8, 2018
David G

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Venice
from $91.90
from $93.00
from $145.40
from $91.90
More Info
All reviews ravioli villa ines chef marika pasta extravaganza cooking class homemade pasta panna cotta lido island rialto market venetian cooking wonderful teacher wonderful family experience fabulous chef cooking experience learning how american couple highlight of our trip
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our family of 5 spent the day with Marika shopping at the Rialto market, snacking on cichetti, and cooking a delicious early evening meal. There is no better way to experience the market than to watch an expert shop for produce and seafood. Then the cichetti bars she took us to were outstanding examples of this part of Venetian life. She explained the hours of the workers and how these places evolved. Her villa is beautiful, and her recounting how she and her husband restored it was a personal treat. We had a quite large party (13 in all) for the cooking class. Marika expertly put everyone to work with easy-going guidance. We had the vegetable tempura, tiny squid and shrimp appertizers, shrimp ravioli, baked fish layered with potatoes and vinaigarette, and homemade ice cream with wild strawberries. Recipes were included, and we are looking forward to trying them at home. A lovely day, and a great break away from historical site-seeing.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We'd been to Venice a couple times before and seen all the usual tourist spots so were looking to spend some time here again scratching the surface of the city a little deeper, and Marika's Acquolina cooking class really fitted the bill. We were treated to a real insight into the locally available seafood and fruit and vegetables, how to select and prepare them, and then enjoy eating them!!

Marika brought the whole experience to life and created a fun but interesting class. The two other couples also doing the class with us were lovely, one from the US and one from India.

And catching the ferry over to Lido and wandering through the lovely Lido streets and plazas was also a treat, so different and quiet to the hurly burly of "downtown Venice". I'd highly recommend this class to anyone looking for a culinary experience but also wanting to see another side of Venice...

Reviewed July 1, 2013

What a wonderful surprise! We filled an otherwise empty day with a fabulous adventure in Lido to cook with Marika. She accommodated us and our menu requests at the last minute--had an opening the night before our class. My children (14, 12 and 9) had a wonderful experience with Chef Marika while in Venice. They all agree it was a memorable experience. The kids made fresh pasta (made the dough, dried the pasta, cut it). Our lunch was amazing--the best meal we had in Venice. I would recommend it to anyone who loves to cook, and eat! Chef Marika's kitchen is top notch. She is very patient and a great hostess. Although the experience was pricey, it was well worth it.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our day with Marika was simply first class! Marika is so passionate about the amazing Venetian culinary treasures-the special vegetables grown on Erasmus island, the tiny berries only good for a three week period, the fish with the freshest, most blood red gills and of vourse the dozens of varieties of shell fish. Food will never taste as good anywhere else! We just wish we could shop with her every day. We were distracted from our shopping by visits to several wine bars-great snacks and special, "in Venice only" wine. We are still drooling about Marika's drop dead kitchen-the perfect space for cooking; the gorgeous flowers and plants in her garden lovingly tended by her mother, and the intimate, warm welcome we received in her home. To say nothing of the mouth watering meal we cooked and enjoyed together. Book a day with Marika-I guarantee it will be memorable.

1  Thank Celeste C
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am sorry for the late review but I had to come back and make sure that I told everyone on TA about how amazing Marika was and how wonderful our experience was with her in her kitchen. We were in Venice in Dec 2012 and I got the last minute idea to take a cooking class. Marika was so amazing to accommodate us over the holidays and we got lucky to join in with another great couple that had the same last minute idea.

We chose the Pasta Extravaganza b/c I have always wanted to make homemade pasta. We made 4 different kinds of pasta plus 4 different sauces and dessert. Marika was kind enough to also get us a couple of bottles of Prosecco which is exactly the way I like to cook.

Marika was so informative and answered questions about olive oil choices, how to make gelato, and any other question we had about Italian cooking. The process was so enjoyable and it really felt like being in a friend's kitchen. And what an AMAZING kitchen it was. I might actually cook every day if I had that kitchen to enjoy!

I will most definitely go back the next time we visit. It was, hands down, the best meal we had on our entire trip. Marika also printed off restaurant recommendations for us for the remainder of our stay and even pointed us to her family's glass shop on Murano where we could arrange for a private tour to their fornace. (Sadly, we were there on New Year's Eve and we didn't catch them but I saved the info for a future visit.).

The Lido was an amazing place too and I will stay there at Marika's B&B the next time I am lucky enough to visit.

Thank you, Marika, for the highlight of our Venice trip!