“BAD CHOICE”

Ranked #228 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Mornington, Australia
“BAD CHOICE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed one night at this hotel,Iwill never stay there again.Our alloicated room was on the top floor possibily the attic .72 steps from the foyer, no lift ,no bell person, no air conditioner ,no in room telephone . Wi Fi reception available back down the steps at the foyer.A roof heigth in our cell of approx 6 foot at the highest point down to 4foot on the side( something like pitched Tent) .a window for air circulation measured about 2ft x 1ft (dont open a swarm of insects will follow)
When i made the journey back down to reception to complain the desk person was very ubrupt and aggressive
no star from me
I have photos if required especially one of me with a scar on my forehed from hitting the cieiling during the night
It might be a good idea to ask them to wipe off the dead insects off the cieling.
frank matons

Room Tip: Have a good look first
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Frank M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Montréal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

First thing, we had to bring our luggage to the top floor without any elevator or help. Good thing we are young. Second thing, the room was sooooo small, we couldn't even stand up in the room. Bathroom was even smaller. The room was old, the walls needed to be re done as well as the furniture. During the night, we couldn't open the window because of the bugs. But being on top floor, it was hot there. The worst of all, we had the fire alarm ringing in the middle of the night. Believe me, when you're on the top floor of an old hotel in Venise and the fire alarm ring, you don't feel secure.

Well, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone, especially for the price they charged us.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mariean

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked this hotel at the very last minute. The price we paid was extremely high for this hotel and certainly not well deserved but that was apparently the price to pay for a week end in Venice in October.
The couch in the room extremely dirty, with the fabric worn off in the corners, and the walls seriously need to be painted.
The lady at the reception when we arrived was not really willing to help, she seemed annoyed with our questions, luckily the gentleman who was there when we checked out was nicer.
As for the breakfast, really nothing special - buns, coffee-tea from the machine and cereals.
The only good thing about this hotel is its proximity to the boat service from the airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Cute canal side hotel in Cannaregio district a short walk from the train station. Ofirst surprise was the lack of an elevator making the trek up to the 2nd floor a bit of a challenge. The second surpise was the size of the rooms - small as in clausterphobic. At least there was an American style shower in the bathroom. There was a Vaporetto stop right outsdie the front door.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RichMLosGatos
The Hague
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

It is located less than ten minutes from the train station. There is a boat stop just in front of the hotel. We love the Cannaregio area, a bit outside of the tourist track and full of little local restaurants.

The room was small. It is not a big deal if you are going to spend just the night. But the mattress was soft. Specially, one of the sides was flat.

During the night, the room is pretty quiet. Everything changes around 7am. The hotel is located in the entrance of one of the busiest canals, main route for the delivery of goods. You will be woken up by the roaring of the motors.

Breakfast is served between 8 and 10 am. It is basic: dry croissants, biscotti and supermarket cereals. The coffee is not from an espresso machine: it is a dry powder with water. There is no fruit or cold meats.

The front desk service was always friendly but not helpful. The young lady has not knowledge about the water bus or local restaurants. She forgot to reserve one of the restaurants and did not contact us by phone. We went back to drop some shopping and she mentioned the lack of reservation It was nine o'clock. Then, she sent us to a horrific bar-restaurant. In another occasion, they couldn't let us know that there is a Alilaguna water bus service direct to the airport just three minutes walking from the hotel.

In case you decide to take the risk, please request room 214. I spent 5 minutes scratching the hard-water deposit from the shower head. It was the only way to have a shower without irrigating the whole bathroom.

I wouldn't complain if it was in the 50 euros range, but it is not worthy the 220 euros we paid per night. Specially, if they spend 2 euros in the breakfast and the customers need to do basic housekeeping tasks.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Koisrg
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I personally loved the faux French chateau or Venetian deco. Our room was very small but was very comfortable, decked out in blues and whites. I loved having a bath/shower and the bed was also very comfortable. Was not overly keen on the breakfast but we were both happy with the proximity to the Tre Archi boat stop which can take you anywhere in Venice.
The staff were very helpful though the wifi charge is a bit excessive and it only worked in the lobby areas. Overall, a very luxurious stay for a small cost.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SusannahPK
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I read a number of reviews before settling on this hotel for my school trip. I took 5 youngsters and another member of staff. We were booked into a quad room, a double room and a single. The prices were good, but there was some confusion over the payment. Obviously, the school is not going to let me run around all over Europe with their credit card, so we used Booking.com which states that the payment will be taken immediately. A rather worrying email on the Friday before we were to leave for Venice showed us that this was definitely not the case. The hotel were very accommodating in sorting this out and we arrived, fairly early on the Monday, hoping for no further problems.

The hotel quite definitely fits the description “shabby chic”. It is very “olde worlde”, and totally matches one’s concept of ancient Venice, evoking a once-glorious and now fading history. The rooms were all quite small and a bit claustrophobic, particularly the bathrooms. The quad room was really just a double with two extra beds. The single room had two single beds in it and the double a double bed, so the two boys in the party and I did a swap. All the party reported that their beds were comfortable and clean (I know mine was). Both of the bathrooms were tiny. Although my middle age spread is now quite expansive, I shouldn’t have had to turn sideways to get into the shower cubicle. Bending down for the soap was dangerous to quite a few parts of my anatomy and there was no soap dish. Each time I turned around, I ended up changing the tap setting, resulting in scalding or freezing water. It was OK for the boys, though as they were both thinner than I am. This second floor room had a very large balcony, allowing all 7 of us to congregate there one evening to enjoy a spectacular lightning show.

The single room (or double room?) had an extremely narrow bath with a half glass partition. There were two shower heads, one just above head height and one with a flexible hose suitable for use sitting down. However, after adjusting the temperature, as I advanced towards the higher head, the water pressure reduced to a trickle and it went cold. I backed away, it went hot again! The low level shower worked with an awkward tap plunger, again in a dangerous place. It was better than the high level one in that the water didn’t change every time I moved, but I couldn’t stand up to shower and if I sat in the bath it was so narrow that it was uncomfortable and the hose kept getting in the way. As we were showering twice a day because of the 30+ degrees of heat, it was a nuisance. Also, as I suffer quite badly from arthritis, getting in and out of the very narrow bath was a trial.

The shower in the girls’ room was better, but the bathroom was obviously only intended for two. The air conditioning worked very well (thankfully) in all three rooms. Television was quite limited and I didn’t manage to find an English channel. However, who goes to Italy to watch TV?

Having said all of this, what do I expect for a budget price? The hotel staff were always courteous, willing, helpful and accommodating. Breakfast was basic, but plentiful – as was the coffee and other drinks. Although the bar had no wine, it had some basic beer and supplies of prosecco, both of which I sampled and did not find wanting. The bar facilities were not really important as there were plenty of local bars and restaurants open at all hours of the night.

Be very careful of the local restaurants. One of them ripped me off right royally on our last night when I treated the children to a posh meal. A review is on the way of the Trattoria Da Bepi.

Room Tip: The concierge is very helpful, just ask. There is not really a restaurant service, only breakfast (w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends