“Great Location to Walk Out Your Door and Explore Venice”

Hotel Saturnia & International
Ranked #40 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed April 29, 2013

From the moment we arrive by water taxi and came into the hotel through the back door, we had friendly service. At the desk, we were given a good map and the various spots most people like to visit were highlighted for us. Since we arrived past normal lunchtime, we were told where to find a bite to eat nearby. Usually restaurants are not open between 3-7pm, but there are many places that sell quick bites to eat such as sandwiches and pizza.

Our room had a sleek, Scandinavian decor and the bathroom included a fully tiled shower (with a rain head), rectangular sink large enough for two, and bidet. The beds were more like you find in Sweden or Finland with just a mattress and not a box spring. I found the bed to be very comfortable. There was a flat screen TV and several windows facing a courtyard. The courtyard was quiet thankfully since we kept our windows open during the day and at night. We spent our two nights there in April, a quirky time of year when the days can be warm and the nights are cool so the air conditioning had not been turned on yet.

I would have to say we liked the bathroom most of all in this room.

In the morning, you can go have breakfast in a room with a complete buffet that included scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, lunch meats, bread, pastries, cereal, yogurt and fruit. There is also bottled water and juices, in addition to coffee or tea. The staff is friendly and works hard to keep the buffet.well supplied.

We found one man in particular to be helpful at the front desk. I wish I could remember his name. He helped us several times with directions, maps and general questions. The day we left, he made sure we got into the water taxi so we could get to the train station on time.

This hotel is an excellent location right near San Marco Square. You can walk right out your door and begin exploring the wonderful city of Venice! We loved our stay here and would definitely return!

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are quiet but you won't have a view. We are not in our room except to sleep...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,579)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel was exactly what we look for in travel -- personable, with friendly staff, large comfortable room, excellent breakfast and restaurant, great location (right off San Marco square). We would stay there again and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there unfortunately for only one night. The staff was always helpful and cheerful. They seemed to love their job. I had no complains about the room neither. It was clean and great. Our whole family agreed that it was the best hotel we stayed in during our vacation.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Lovely hotel in great location near San Marco. Hotel is an historic building. Furniture is dark and ceiling is wod beamed. Sliding pocket doors separate the hall, bathroom and large closet. Tub/shower is fully tiled. Our room had a marble fireplace. Nice flat screen tv with lots of stations. Free, fast WIFI. Don't miss great views from the roof top. Nice breakfast. Friendly, professional folks at desk. We dd not find the beds unknfortable but they could use upgrading. Vence is a vey expensive travel destination so food prices in area are quite high.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lakshmi458
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel was fantastic! Well worth every euro spent there. I was traveling with my 5 yr old daughter (who had a cast on one foot and broken bones in the other foot-- a story for later!), and my sister, her husband and their 2 month old daughter.
We arrived via water taxi to the hotel's private water taxi entrance in overcast and rainy weather, the water taxi is worth the money when you are traveling with strollers and unsure of exact location. I have heard you can spend HOURS looking for a Venitian address! The decor is rich and comfortable.
My room was so lovely! Fabric lined walls, solid wood antiques for storage, and a solid, secure safe are standard. My sister and her husband had a nice room as well but theirs lacked the wonderful double doors that opened to the road in front of the hotel, made complete the next morning when Acqua Alta waters flooded over 70% of Venice, including the walkways in front of the hotel and the beautiful lobby of the hotel... So that explains why there is so much stone in that area! The entire hotel is beautiful and I recommend spending a few minutes exploring the various lounge areas especially the rooftop terrace.
More about my room: super comfortable beds, plenty of towels, a shower and separate bathtub, toilet and bidet. High, wooden beamed ceiling with Ventian glass chandelier.
The attendant at the hotel carried our bags to the rooms and safely stored our strollers in the lobby closet (much more convinient than carrying strollers up and down the stairs).
The ONLY negative comment I have for this hotel is that when we asked a young girl at the check in counter for her dining recommendation she offered a wonderful map and good directions to a chain pizzeria-- not exactly the Ventian inspired meal we were looking for, fortunately my sister knew this and we set out to find our own restaraunt (we did, it was delicious!).
The breakfast served is amazing! Wonderful selections and very attentive staff. The high waters caused a problem on day two because the waters were so high the staff was unable to access certain foods and the toasters had to be unplugged, but we still managed to have a very filling and tasteful breakfast.
When time came to leave, Acqua Alta waters were again high and this prevented taxi's from getting to the hotel entrance. The attendant at the hotel CARRIED our bags (and assisted us with the strollers) to the nearest Vaporetto stop. This involved two bridges and about 400 feet of wooden walkways constructed over the high waters. We tipped this very helpful attendant well!
If I ever return to Venice, I already know where I am staying!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Southernrebelle
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Though Venice is not one of my favorite places, the staff at the Hotel Saturnia and International is so warm, welcoming, helpful and knowledgable, it makes the tip to Venice almost delightful. The in hotel restaurant, La Caravella is superb, the bartenders make an excellent Aperol Spritz and in all, if I had to return to Venice I would stay again at the Saturnia. The rooms, though small are well appointed, with five hundred channel cable, bathrooms are totally modern with great dual showers and the location is a very short walk to St. Marks and to La Fenice. The concierges really make the hotel, as their recommendations are truly spot on and they steer you away from the touristy and to the authentic. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Some rooms have terraces: ask if you want one, though the terraced rooms are a bit smaller than regu...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
serandrei, Proprietario at Hotel Saturnia & International, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thanks for the wonderful reviews both for the Hotel and La Caravella restaurant.
It was a plceure having you here with us and we really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you soon again !

Kindest regards from me, my family and the all staff
Greta - Zoe Serandrei

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our third and last hotel during our recent 10 day visit to Italy. All hotels were arranged for us thru Perillo's Tours. Their choices for Rome and Florence were very good and we were expecting/hoping for the same when we arrived to Venice, however we were disappointed with this hotel.
It is in a nice area of Venice and the private entrance off the canal was convenient. The hotel itself seemed very "old" and the staff (except for one exceptional gentleman) were professional, but not very friendly. For example, when we asked for where the complimentary tea was held, the man at the desk stated coldly: "well, certainly, not here in the lobby!" And then when we went to lounge to get the tea/biscuits, the man behind the bar questioned if "we belonged" there.
The room (#109) itself was large and clean, I will admit. But it was also very dark and dated in its decor. The bed was a large queen and looked very inviting, until we laid on it and found it as hard as a rock (an old mattress on top of a board, no box spring). There was no coffee maker, the tv's picture was not very good, (but it was hard to find an english speaking channel anyways), the towel heater did not heat, and when we decided to take a nap at 5pm before going out for dinner the house staff decided this was a good time to vacuum the hall/lobby.
However, the real disappointment was later during our first nite. After a long day of travel and site seeing we decided to retire early @ 9:30pm. I knew it was going to be hard due to the quality of the bed, but I didn't know it was going to be impossible. It turns out that our window faces the little alley behind the hotel's restaurant and every 15 minutes or so someone would come out of the restaurant to throw out trash/bottles, smoke a cigarette, talk on their cell, etc. It wasn't til after the restaurant closed (about 11:30pm) that I finally got some quiet and sleep. Of course, the next day I was going to ask for a different room for our second and final nite, but my wife (who can sleep easier than I and does not like confrontation-- with already off-putting staff), asked me not to. And then I asked myself, why should I even have to complain, surely they know the bed is not of an acceptable quality: and certainly, management should have the sense to train their staff to be as quiet as possible (our window and shutter was closed by the way) to avoid disturbing their guests. The second nite was no different. Why they would put someone in this room in the first place is beyond me (my in-laws had a much nicer and quieter room (#106). The hotel was not full and we had made arrangements months in advance.
The breakfast buffet was part of our package, but also a disappointment (re: food, decor, and service) compared to our other two hotels. I really am surprised at the highly rated reviews on Tripadvisor, compared to our experience. On a positive note, we did enjoy the free boat ride to Murano; its a total tourist trap, but we had no problem saying no to their sales pitch.
Long story short, this is not a bad hotel, just a disappointment; and if you find your room opens up/faces to the restaurant's alleyway ask for a different room before you unpack.

Room Tip: Avoid room 109
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple