“Central base”

Hotel Saturnia & International
Ranked #40 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Only a hop and step away from St Marks Square, a great starting point for visitors. Given an upgrade when booking in with the bed in a mezzanine, which was good. Reception efficient, after my initial exploration of the area the girl remembered my name without looking it up when I asked for my keys.(Although I was not sure if that was a good or bad thing!)

Breakfast is excellent, and entertainment was provided by a 20 somethingish guest photographing the buffet from every conceivable angle and taking a vidio of the toast moving along through the grill. That said, from an English point of view, proper back rasher bacon rather than the usual streaky version you find on the continent, along with Harrogate tea rather than the wishy washy Lipton was a welcome surprise. Did not eat other meals here, noticed a sign saying soup at 42€ so didn't bother to read further.

The hotel is in an upmarket street with an interesting art shop opposite. Early in the morning you can see the street sellers as they stick Prada and Gucci logos onto plastic handbags.

On a general note, I found, as is often the case, that once you reach areas where people were actually speaking in Italian the restaurant food was considerably cheaper and probably a lot better.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ianandpasturesnew

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My first trip to Venice was in 1959. I've been coming regularly since then and for the last 20 years, the only place I've stayed is the Hotel Saturnia. Returning there is like returning home. The staff is known and welcoming. I love walking into my room and seeing the fresh flowers and, upon occassions, a bottle of Proseco on ice! The garden is wonderful for breakfast in the Spring and Fall and the food is good and generous. I love their Cappuchinos and look forward to them starting my mornings. Their restaurant, La Caravella has excelleent foor and I've eaten there several times.
Since they've redone the bathrooms, it's heaven! Wonderful Euopean tubs and showers, and heated towel rods, not needed in summer but delicious in winter. All of the concierge staff are knowledgeable and helpful, but Andrea tops the list. He has been a great help with both small or unusual requests. I can't imgaine staying anywhere else in Venice!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jmfiks
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a little jewel of a hotel in the San Moise district, in the fashion shopping area and ten minutes walk from San Marco. Over a hundred years old, the hotel exudes old world charm and our room was very elegant and spacious (for Venice). The staff here are very friendly indeed and helpful especially on the hotel desk. There is an excellent breakfast and the Hotel restaurant - La Caravella - is very popular with locals and rightly so. The cuisine and presentation are superb and again the staff are very friendly. if you stay here I do recommend an evening in La Caravella - prices are similar to London.
We stayed here on a Citybreak with Guardian Newspaper holidays and the package was operated by AA Getaways.
So for elegant surroundings, old world charm and a warm welcome this is it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Neil Z
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here as a solo traveller looking for some peace and quiet in one of the few 'down' periods in the Venetian calendar. This hotel was a perfect choice. All staff were most courteous, the room I stayed in was glorious in its idiosyncratic furnishing and the generous dimensions of the room, the bathtub was a wonderful luxury, and the hotel had excellent and lavish public spaces for guests to enjoy. The concierge can help you with just about anything, and the hotel is very conveniently located within easy walking distance of San Marco, the Accademia, and Rialto. The only criticisms I have are the usual European lack of glassware in the room, and yes, the coffee at breakfast was disappointing. But otherwise a beautiful place for a holiday.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank theproseclerk
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were taken straight to the back door in the motor taxi - so easy! This hotel is comfortable although I would not describe it as luxurious. Our room was big enough, with a dressing room/lobby and a wonderful huge very modern bathroom. The breakfast was good, but the coffee very disappointing, a small detail. The staff were charming and extremely helpful. However the location of the hotel is the biggest attraction as it is so close to everything, but also very quiet. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and the decor is nice and new. I would recommend staying there. We stayed on the 30th of december and was about 250Euros which I thought was reasonable. We couldnt check in till about 3pm which was weird, but we managed to be sent to a bar to watch Chelsea play

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is my favorite hotel in the world. First visited in 1971 and can't visit as often as I'd like, but if I'm in Venice, I'm there. We feel like returning family when we visit. The staff is cordial and there is just enough luxury to make you happy but not off-putting. I love this hotel!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family