“Saturnia international hotel Venice, the most sincere place to stay”

Hotel Saturnia & International
Ranked #40 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed February 11, 2012

There are for sure many places in Venice that indeed have a unique offer, and more than enough reasons why you should try each and everyone of them.....I did...over a number of years, and in each I found a magical memory that often resulted in me returning, and recommending that hotel to my family and friends.
I thought that I could never ever be made to feel unwanted or unappreciated in any hotel in Venice, so choosing was easy, then one very warm summers day I came across a restaurant in a courtyard, I had passed it many times, its bright yellow decor of tablecloths and flora, antique wall furnishings and scene beckoned me to stop and look, and I did, I fell in love with the magic that was clearly in every corner of this outdoor room, no matter if in the day or evening this little gem of a place was truly romantic, what ever visions I had of Venice, whatever thoughts or dreams I had of this place they all seemed to gather in this one place.
I reserved a table for lunch, and what a lunch it was....the service the style and the content both food and wine, confirmed my belief that this was a very much loved place where those who really appreciated the finer things in life would have come to and returned time after time.
The opportunity came for me to wander around the hotel that this fine restaurant belonged to, and it was here I found the Saturnia International Hotel.
I couldnt wait until my next trip to Venice, I decided there and then to take a week in this wonderful palace of Venetian hospitality. It was no surprise that this hotel had received some pretty important guests over the years, and it was not hard to understand why they returned time and time again.
From the outside it looks warm, even in the coldest of winters, during the summer the courtyard restaurants colourful display invited you in, the moment you arrived at reception, you were met by a smile that said welcome to our home, please sit awhile, relax, what can we do for you....our time is yours, nothing is too much trouble, we are here because we want to be, because we like you, value your custom and we thrive on being of service in any way possible.
This was done and said conveyed to anyone who walked through the door, and the staff no matter front of house or back, cleaners or management, they all loved the opportunity to be of service to you.
Time went by very quickly, my return to Venice was made much more special, because we were going to the teatro Fenice, and the beauty was much more than anyone could ever hope for, the Saturnia was the icing on the cake and I can honestly say each day was made increasingly more romantic with the love that came out of every nook and cranny of this adorable hotel, we hated to leave, but we looked forward to our return, we left wanting more, and year after year it just got better, and so although this is an opinion I hope with all my heart that you try it for yourself, a special place for special people wanting to celebrate life, with a eye on the past and eye on the future, and a hug that says welcome to Venice.
I would always say that to arrive in Venice, one must take a water taxi, the view from these very stylish boats is one that is worth every penny, the experience one not to miss and the magic is amazing, when you arrive at your hotels doorstep, what a way to arrive.....
Enjoy,
The concierge at the Saturnia is Andrea, he is a handsome kind loveable sincere gentleman who is the ultimate in Venetian representation, he is the one person to whomever you could ask a favour and with kind heart he will say yes...

Room Tip: All rooms are good at the price you decide to pay, though my room is best.....
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank saturnia

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a weekend in January. The location was great, in one of the more upmarket shopping streets, and a 2 minute walk to St Mark's square. The hotel was beautiful, full of history and very well maintained and clean. Initially I was a little dissapointed as the pictures of the rooms had looked so elaborate and our room was quite simple, however it was a decent size room and it was clean, with everything that we needed, so the dissapointment did not last long. The staff were amazing, so friendly and helpful (particularly the concierge, Andrea) who can tell you anything you want to know about Venice. It was quiet in the evenings but close enough to restaurants and coffee bars. The breakfast buffet was also great. Good vlaue for money. Definitely a recommendation!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kate588
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This is a very nice hotel located close to all the major tourist attractions. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and organised a free tour to the glass factories at Murano which was most interesting. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Venice.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bentleysinoz
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in Feb 2008 and again in Feb 2009 for firstly our wedding trip and then for our first anniversary. In a word - WONDERFUL. It was organised for us by Lindsey and her team at Venice Events. Couldn't have hoped for more. All details were PERFECT. Our room 103 (on both visits) was stunning. Art deco touches, style and glamour. We adored it. Staff were so helpful and friendly. They remembered us well on our second visit. Our wedding (at Palazzo Cavalli and returning to the Hotel's restaurant La Caravella was stunningly beautiful, happy and just as we hoped it would be. I hope we get to return for many many more anniversaries!

Room Tip: We took a room overlooking the courtyard/garden restaurant. In winter this is quiet but possibly in...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CeeKee19
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We loved our four night stay at this hotel and our dinner on New Year’s Eve. Initially we were disappointed as our room was down two corridors to the back of the hotel, and upon entering it seemed small for a Standard Double and was painted a deep red. However, by the time we left we’d fallen in love with our little “garret” as it was quiet and restful. Although there wasn’t a lot of room to manoeuvre around the large double bed, the wardrobe was spacious, the flat-screen TV of adequate size, the window opened onto a quiet, private courtyard, and the air-conditioning was quiet and warming. However, the highlight was the bathroom with it’s deep, oval shaped bath with hand-held showerhead, large basin with a practical shelf underneath for toilet bags, plus a separate shower room with a huge rainwater showerhead and lots of hot water. Although lovely toiletries were supplied, the hairdryer was the cheap, wall attached variety and no bathrobes were supplied – minor disappointments really.

The Reception staff were very friendly and efficient, upon check in they confirmed our booking for dinner on New Year’s Eve (even given the choice of first or second sitting – different rooms, menus and prices) and then escorted us to our room. Every time we passed Reception thereafter we were warmly greeted by name and stopped for a quick chat.

Our New Year’s Eve degustation dinner with accompanying wines was wonderful and the wait staff were professional yet having fun too. The day before I had met with the maître d' to discuss the menu as I have a food allergy. An offending course was easily substituted with something (more delicious in my opinion) from the regular menu without leaving me feeling as if I had caused any issue. We normally don’t eat in hotel restaurants as we tend to find them overpriced, but NYE was worth every Euro. Circumstance meant we had to eat again in the restaurant on our last evening and the wait staff remembered us from NYE and helped to make it another special occasion.

We can also suggest a small wine bar/trattoria, Vino Vino, on C d Veste just around the corner from the hotel where the atmosphere was certainly less formal and food prices more economical, however, we didn’t see any decals (not to say they weren’t there) advertising acceptance of credit cards and didn’t observe anyone paying by card so we chose to pay by cash to prevent any embarrassment.

We had arrived in Venice by train and managed to negotiate the vaporetto system to the nearest stop (S. Maria d Giglio) at €6.50 ea, then pulled our suitcases down narrow streets, through the tourist crowds and over a bridge to the hotel at its very central location (yet close to Piazza San Marco). When we asked Reception for advice on how to get to the airport for our departure, we were given two options: either private water taxi at €110 taking approx 30 minutes, or Alilaguna ferry from San Marco taking up to an hour. After checking out the Alilaguna option for ourselves, we chose instead for the hotel to organise a water taxi for us and were most appreciative that we did – what a luxurious way to finish a wonderful holiday (and much better than any gondola ride on a winter's day).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank McGAussie
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Saturnia for four nights in December. We found it to be perfectly situated on the main pedestrian thoroughfare a few minutes walk from St Mark's Square and we had a quiet, well appointed room. Our first contact with the staff was by email to enquire about transport from the airport to the hotel and facilities in the room, which was handled immediately and comprehensively. The hotel arranged our transport which, while expensive, functioned like clockwork. On arrival we received a friendly welcome and over the four days the concierge patiently attended to our needs, The breakfast room was always busy, but calm and with no pressure to 'move on', and with enough staff to keep the tables in an uncluttered state of readiness. The food was well presented and wide-ranging.

A particular and very welcome feature of the hotel's service lies in the assistance given to
the first time visitor. This ranges from the provision of maps, suggestions as to walking routes, nothing was too much trouble. On leaving our lasting impression was this was a
hotel that not only referred to its customers as guests, it treated them as welcome guests
with individual requirements, and wished to make their stay in Venice as memorable and
rewarding as possible.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kathleen A
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We returned to the Saturnia for our annual Venetian visit in late November/early December. We were once again delighted with our stay!!! We experienced the warm and friendly attention and service that keeps us coming back. Over the years we have stayed in a number of rooms..all spacious and interesting and nicely decorated. Breakfast is wonderful and has a nice variety to satisfy all tastes. Andrea and all at the front desk are always welcoming without being intrusive. They can be relied on to provide many suggestions for things to do and places to see. We also suggest dealing directly with the hotel to make reservations. Don’t forget to dine at La Caravella – it is also superb!!! We were delighted with our 2011 return to the Saturnia - the Serandrei family and their staff treat us as their valued guests and welcome us like old friends. We look forward to our next visit, hopefully in 2012!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple