Al Ponte Antico Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Moresco(Venice)
$394
$324
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Al Duca di Venezia(Venice)(Great Value!)
$294
$420
$360
  • Room Service
1,385 results
All reviewsrialto bridgegrand canalcrepeswater taxiboutique hotelterrace overlookinghotel terracemoment you arrivejunior suitethe entire staffevery staff memberwatching the worldevery morningstay in venicesmall hotelwatching the boatsour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2009

I have to say that having visited many hotels with my wife this has to be the best. You couldnt ask for more. The owners attention to detail, passion for his work and eye for what a hotel should offer are beyond expectations. There are many exceptional features of the Antico and I will try to summarise the most important. But still this review will not be enough to do it justice. You simply must visit as the experinece is ineffable.

The second we arrived we were overwhelmed by the hotels beauty, charm and the way in which the owner (Matteo)has lovingly restored this old venetian palace. He has spared no expense for its extravagance. The terrace is a real beauty and offers a perfect way to start the morning with breakfast. I cannot say enough how beautiful the view is and how much it added to the enjoyment of our experinece. The view is perfectly complemented by the fact that MATTEO lovingly makes breakfast for all his guests with his own personal and unique, impeccable manner. He made us omlette with eggs from his grandma's farm. They were great.

The standout feature of this hotel is the SERVICE. I dont belive I have received service like it. Matteo has trained all staff to greet you with your first name from the moment you arrive. It seems like the staff cant do enough without it being too intrusive. Their only concern is your enjoyment!

As you can tell from the review we loved the hotel and anytime we visit Venive we will not stay anywhere else. Matteo has created an unforgetable Venetian experience. He clearly has a gift and he and his staff have ensured that me and my wife we return time and time again.

The hotel was flawless. You must stay here.

Finally Thannkyou to Matteo and all his staff. See you soon

Phil and Jo

3  Thank Youngfamilyman2
Reviewed August 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night in August and had a great stay. True, the service level offered is quite different to what we have come to expect elsewhere - its much more personal than usual. We were fine with this as on such a short trip recommendations for eateries was welcome and it was nice to feel that the staff took the trouble to know our names personally.

The hotel itself is beautiful - we feel that it was very authentic and nicely presented. Our room was not huge but was very well appointed and gave us a feel of a true Venetian room. Breakfast was lovely and all members of staff were very helpful.

Our overall view was that the hotel was stunning, well positioned for a water taxi and we were very well looked after by the staff. We will visit again for another short stay.

1  Thank ScottieW
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Just like every review before this has described, the terrace and the view of the Rialto bridge (only a stone's throw away) is fantastic. We had the room adjacent to the terrace and most evenings we were the only couple out there which was very romantic. Matteo's passion about his hotel and Venice itself is very obvious and charming. I probably wouldn't stay here again purely because of the cost, but it was a very memorable boutique hotel which enhanced our Venice experience.

1  Thank sbkiwi
Reviewed August 16, 2009

After doing a lot of research on hotels in Venice, both on this forum and independent resources my Husband and I decided on the Al Ponte Antico for our 5 night stay in Venice as part of our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebrations, and we were not disappointed, as previous posters have already said the welcome afforded by Matteo, Oliver, Thomas, Rosalba, and all the staff was exceptional.

I made the booking directly with the hotel and they responded immediately the whole process of booking was made so easy, plus our subsequent emails with requests for them to recommend restaurants and booking dinner reservations were all answered with great efficiency.

We arrived by water taxi early evening which in itself was a fantastic experience to be greeted at the door by Matteo and Oliver, who greeted us like long lost friends, Matteo escorted us around the hotel, and showed us to our room, we had booked the deluxe canal facing room, which was decorated in traditional Venitian fabrics and had very large windows overlooking the canal, our room was practically next to the balcony, which became our favourite place to sit in the early evening sunshine sipping one of Matteos Spritz and G&T's just fantastic, if I had one minor criticism it would be about the bathroom, for the standard of room the bathroom was poor with only a shower no bath which I did miss and the bathroom was so small somedays I felt quite claustrophobic, but this is only a minor gripe as the service and cleanliness of the room was all excellent, also very well air conditioned, which it needed to be as the weather was very hot when we were there although it could get a little noisy, but again not a major problem,

As has been said before Matteo's breakfasts were very good, my Husband one morning ask for fried bread to go with his eggs which Matteo found very strange but made it for him and it was delicious I also enjoyed the cappuccino coffees at breakfast, I also drink a lot of water, and after asking for a bottle of Frizante on the first morning they remembered and every morning without being asked they brought me a bottle it was those little touches that made our stay extra special.

The hotel is in a very conveniant area close enough to the Rialto bridge, and only a ten minute walk to St. Marks Square but away from all the hustle and bustle that is Venice,
also very near the Vap stops, which made getting out and about very easy.

I must also mention that on our return to the hotel each evening after dinner Thomas would make me a delicious cappuccino with a Zambucca he was wonderful a big thank you Thomas for making the end of our days in Venice so memorable sitting on that wonderful balcony watching all the activities on the Grand Canal just perfect.

Matteo told us that he has bought another hotel in Tuscany, which I can't wait to visit once the renovations are completed if it is half as good as the Al Ponte Antico it will be fantastic

One final thing on the day of our departure which was our 25th Wedding Anniversary my Husband had organized with Matteo to deliver a bottle of Processco to our room which he did and then we enjoyed the rest of it with our leisurely breakfast before departing by water taxi to the train station for the 2nd leg of our Italian tour to Lake Garda.

A huge thank you to Matteo and all the team for making our Silver Wedding celebrations so wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Denholm
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Always use trip advisor to book but have never been inspired to write a review before!
Stayed Fr and Sat in August.
Amazing place, mainly due to fabulous 1)location, 2)rooms 3)staff.
Location on Grand Canal nr Rialto Bridge is perfect. In busy time about 10 mins walk to St Mark's Square and easliy accessible by water taxi or by Vaperetto to Rialto and then 2 mins walk. View from upper terrace where you have breakfast/drinks is amazing and totally unique.
Our room was perfect, booked Deluxe with Grand Canal view - was to die for and views amazing, even more the lower shared tearrace was right outside our room meaning you could climb out window to access....and even though is a shared terrace we were only guests to use it for entire weekend and sat outside room reading/drinking on the Grand Canal with many people on passing boats enviously poiting and even taking pics!
Staff were super. Matteo went out of his way to make excellent recommendations and delicious breakfasts - cold and hot buffet and eggs and pancakes to order. Oliver also delightful and very flattering/charming ...the perfect gent for any lady to see before a night out as would always comment charmingly about looking elegant or other similarly charming things! ...all staff super helpful and keen to address on first name terms. I came back and went straight on there web page to book again in October - only to be disappointed that they are already fully booked! So if you're visiting Venice book here and don't miss out.

1  Thank HLees