7 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Priceline$912
Booking.com$917
LuxuryCollection$830
Hotels.com$824
CheapTickets$824
Orbitz.com$824
1,788 results
All reviews club del doge grand canal beautiful hotel concierge staff water taxi upgraded to a suite canal view murano glass marble riva salute antiques dock boat bellini furnishings century
Selected filters
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I don't write reviews very often. In fact I had to create a profile to write this one. Let me start by saying the Gritti Palace is a beautiful property in a great location on the Grand Canal. The terrace is a great spot to sit and relax and watch the gondolas go by. The service is good, but you would expect that from a Category 7 Starwood property that costs $1500/night or 35,000 Starpoints.

I have been to many Starwood properties and never felt more uncomfortable than I did here. I felt like all of Venice (including this hotel) just wanted me to leave my wallet behind. I am not opposed to spending money, I just want to feel the costs justify it. At $1500/ night, it most definitely was not worth it. I made a "Green Choice" for my two night stay. That means for $1500/night I am opting out of cleaning my room and replacing the towels and changing the linens. They left for me the Green Choice card which offers in exchange for this choice, an option of 500 Starpoints. (Worth about $10). Upon my return home, I am told they don't participate in the program! Really? Then why was I given a card that says otherwise? I was told after 4 phone calls to Starwood that the choice was to have a discount at the restaurant. No, as I recall that was my Starwood Gold Welcome amenity, not my Green Choice option. I realize I am talking about $10 worth of points on a 2 night stay where I spent almost $2000 (including a grossly overprice lunch on the terrace).

Do yourself a favor, spend your money elsewhere in Venice. This hotel definitely doesn't justify the cost.

Date of stay: May 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
9  Thank Bruce W
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your honest feedback and we are truly sorry to read of your sentiment towards The Gritti Palace and Venice in general.

We furthermore regret that your bad feeling was enhanced by the Green Choice program, which, associated with the Unicef program created unfulfilled expectations.

As a matter of fact, our Company is very sensitive to Sustainability and to Charity with the consequent implementation of several programs over the years, among which the aforementioned “Green Choice” and Unicef’s “Check-out for Children”.

Nevertheless, not all brands do equally participate to the programs and most unfortunately, the statement of the above programs’ cards is generic and does not fully apply to our hotel. We are sorry for your disappointment.

We invite you to contact the Executive Office (through my PA, please, at liana.quagliotto@starwoodhotels.com) and to let us have your contact details. It will be our pleasure to further address the above and to take personal care of your concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to bring your discomfort to our attention; your comments will not go unheard and we will do our utmost in order to clarify the different programs in place in order to avoid possible future misunderstandings.

As a valuable SPG guest, it is our hope that, one day, you may consider a return stay to The Gritti Palace!

Best regards,

Reviewed June 25, 2014

This former palace of an eminent patrician family turned into a luxury hotel is a true Venetian landmark. Before the renovation of the hotel two years ago, staying at the Gritti was a bit like living in a museum, all very charming, but with very visible signs of wear and tear. I always expected the old elevators to break down when going up to or down from our room. They never did, though. Now the Gritti Palace is restored to its old splendor with all you expect from a Venetian palace: Marble floors, Murano crystal chandeliers, fantastic local fabrics on the walls, and fine works of art. Most important, the Hotel should now be safe from the seasonal high tides (aqua alta) in winter. One of the innovations is a small spa and gym on the ground floor in the rear. When choosing a room at the Gritti Palace, know what to expect. The hotel extends from the proper palace at the Grand Canal over two large buildings in the rear. Rooms in these buildings, particularly those on the lower floors, have no views at all. Some top floor rooms have charming views over the city roofs. If you insist on a view of the Grand Canal, you have to book one of their Landmark Grand Canal Rooms or Signature Suites. The Redentore Suite on the top floor has a rooftop terrace and a small pool, but, due to its location right under the roof, rooms are rather low ceilinged. Together with the Westin (Europa&Regina) and the famous Danieli, the Gritti is part of the Luxury Collection in Venice, and collaboration among them is close. This means among other things that you can dine on the fantastic Danieli Terrace and charge it to a room at the Gritti. The best thing at the Gritti Palace is its Terrace restaurant overlooking the Grand Canal. The cuisine has always been excellent, but used to be strictly Venetian before the recent renovation, which was a challenge for some guests. Now they relaxed the rules, and you should certainly find something delicious on the menu. Staff in all parts of the hotel (and particularly the restaurant) is very competent, friendly, and helpful. The Gritti is certainly a pricey place to stay in Venice, but you get a lot of value for money, and the location is perfect, with all major attractions in walking distance.

Room tip: Choose your room wisely!
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dionysios

Dear Guest,

It is always such a pleasure receiving kind notes and reading lovely comments and appreciations.

Your expertise and knowledge of our hotel clearly appears through your kind note, describing The Gritti in great detail. Thank you very much for having shared it with the readers of this site.

We are indeed proud of the Gritti restored to its original splendour, revealing “a refined version of its iconic self” and enhancing its unique and personal feel that is well acknowledged by its loyal guests as you are.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our timeless icon in a near future!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed June 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on the first leg of our honeymoon and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The room we stayed in was very large with beautiful Venetian decor. I think the real highlight of this hotel is its location and beautiful patio right on the Grand Canal...it was certainly the best place to have drinks that we came across in Venice. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Venice.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley D
Reviewed June 23, 2014

They just finished renovating after 15 months and it looks like the 35 million was put to good use. What we particularly liked about the renovation was that it was keep in the traditional style rather than making it a modern hotel. Classy and luxurious. Could ask for more than breakfast or drinks on the terrace on the Grand Canal. What a view. Rooms marvelous and the service is 5 star.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank ScottaNYCtraveler
Reviewed June 22, 2014

It has been a while since a hotel has inspired me to take the time to write a review, but the Gritti Palace has done it. During the very personalized check-in we were immediately offered 4pm checkout; during the entire stay we were treated very well by the staff. we had two rooms reserved, one under my Platinum account and one under my wife's Platinum account. The management had the foresight to make them adjoining rooms which allowed us have our kids next door. The rooms were very clean and well maintained (perhaps it has something to do with the recent renovation). There seemed to be an abundance of management throughout making sure everything went well. The bar and restaurant downstairs has a wonderful patio with full view of the Grand Canal, a great place to have drinks and dinner. We were blessed with exceptionally temperate weather, neither too cold or too warm.

What would I change? Let me nitpick:

The hotel does not offer the ability to exchange currency - a first amongst my travels to Starwood properties - perhaps it is a local ordinance to push business to money exchange businesses. This slight issue is compounded by the fact that the hotel discourages charging any services to the room that it arranges. This includes things like tour guides and water taxi service back to the airport.

I took this trip to get my wife off my back about why I never take her to Italy. After our stay at The Gritti Palace, I will surely plan many more.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank radworkers

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your words of appreciation and for having shared your wonderful feedback with the Tripadvisor community. We are pleased that The Gritti Palace was your inspiration!

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and it is such a pleasure receiving compliments on the service delivered and learning that our team members were brilliant and capable in helping you throughout your stay.

We are always very attentive when assigning the rooms and we are pleased that you appreciated being allocated in two rooms nearby. It in this regards, it is for us crucial receiving beforehand information on what our guests’ needs are.

With regards to your suggestion, please be informed that we are in the process of implementing an ATM machine in the hotel premises to prevent any discomfort to our clients related to the money exchange.

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to your “inspiring” hotel in the soonest future.

Best regards,