“Beautiful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

What a wonderful hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly, and upgraded us to a suite overlooking the canal, offered us a free in-room breakfast, and assisted us with buying train tickets and all of our questions. The decor was gorgeous and the view from our room even more stunning. It was in a fantastic location as well, nearby to all major tourist attractions. Thank you, Gritti Palace!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank o0Traveler0o

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This recently renovated hotel was a wonderful place to stay in Venice. The view of the Grand Canal is of course lovely, and fantastic shopping and San Marco are within easy walking distance. The service was consistent and excellent. We also appreciated that the interiors nicely blend a more historical style with modern conveniences like high-speed wifi. This hotel is part of the Luxury Collection of Starwood Hotels, which is also great. All around an excellent experience, will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Exquisite things and experiences in life are rare, and to be savoured. Oh, how we love the Gritti! Its one of those old-school hotels where the staff are dressed in immaculate white jackets, the interiors are beautiful, the food wonderful, the view over the canal....there is nothing I can add to this except to say that it is a pleasure to stay at the Gritti if you can. But beware the concierge! he's on the take: he recommended an awful, touristy place (I lived in Italy for 5 years, I know Italian food) so please don't ask him! There are so many guides online, do your homework and do have cocktails, lunch or dinner at the Gritti on the canal at least once...wonderful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelfashionista
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I spent 2 days last week at the Gritti Palace as a short break. Let me introduce myself as a seasoned traveler that has stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world (see my other reviews). When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast magazine, Travel & Leisure. So I only like the best of the best. I expected a lot from this hotel. And it exceeded my wildest dreams. This truly is an exceptional place, one that will throw you back in to time, to experience Venice in all its mysterious grandeur. No doubt about it, the Gritti Palace is so far the best hotel in Venice (the new Aman resort opening in June will probably be the only other hotel playing in the same league).

Things that I did like a lot :
- Location: the hotel is located along (the start of) the Canal Grande, facing the Basalica di Santa Maria, only a 5 minute walk from the Piazza San Marco.
- The floating terrace, right one the Canal Grande, is the location where breakfast is served and where you can relax after a day of sightseeing. It was really so mesmerizing to observe the life on the Canal Grande. An added bonus is that the terrace is facing the sun all day long.
- the décor of the hotel, with all its antiques, is overwhelming but in a very tasteful manner. If you prefer a trendy hotel, look somewhere else (but frankly, why would you want that in a city like Venice?).
- the staff was without doubt the most friendly staff that I ever met at a hotel. They treated us like royalty (even if we’re just ordinary citizens). Kudos to all of them.
- As a platinum SPG member, I was upgraded to a fantastic suite, again featuring old style furniture, but with all the modern amenities one could imagine (the hotel was recently completely renovated). The bed was the best hotel bed that I ever slept in.

Things that I did not like that much (& suggestions for the owners) :
- the hotel is very, very expensive. While I can understand the room rate (they are Venice most exclusive hotel), I did find their prices for food & beverages beyond reasonable (starters around 30 euros ; main courses around 60 euros ; a coke for 10 euros). Venice is very expensive, but nevertheless, we still had excellent 3 course dinners in Venice at some highly Michelin recommended restaurant for 60 euros per person. It is a pity, as the high price of the Gritti Palace restaurant put me of trying it out.
- while breakfast (buffet) was excellent, I thought that for a hotel of this caliber more choices would have been offered.
- since the hotel reopened, a rooftop has been added to its portfolio. We were given a tour. The very large rooftop (with hottube) is beyond words, and a unique feature in Venice (even the new Aman will not have one, and the rooftop of the Hilton is not comparable at all). Unfortunately, it is a private rooftop, belonging to their most expensive suite (so you will only get it when you book that particular suite). This is where I do not understand the hotel’s decision very well: not only is the suite that own the rooftop totally underwhelming & dark (with very small windows), but why they did not decide to open up that amazing space to all their hotel guests is beyond my comprehension (as it would add so much more to the experience of all their guests, and it would make this hotel unbeatable in terms of competition as no other hotel in Venice has this kind of space).

Verdict : the best Starwood hotel that I experienced so far, and one that I want to return to (maybe after the rooftop is becoming available to all hotel guests :-).

Tips :
- prebook your transfer from Venice Airport to the hotel. A private transfer in a speed boat, over the lagoon and through the small canals of Venice, is the way to arrive at the hotel. We booked a private water taxi (100 euros) using the website www.motoscafivenezia.it and where extremely pleased with their service. It is not just an airport-to-hotel transfer, but a memorable journey that was worth all the money.
- we booked the hotel at an amazing 40% discount using the website www.beatthetimer.com, so check that website to see whether any sales of the Gritti Palace are available (if they are, they will only be available for a 72 hour time frame).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
14 Thank LuxTravelExpert
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at The Gritti Palace, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you very much for having taken time to post your extensive review and having shared with us your feelings and impressions related to the recent sojourn at our Gritti Palace.
I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you were most impressed with the attitude of our staff, defined “the most friendly staff that you ever met at a hotel”, exquisite comment which will make them surely feel proud of, particularly in consideration of your expertise being a seasoned traveler that has stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world.

I am also thankful for having indicated us some amelioration aspects. I can assure you that your comments have been appreciated and taken into consideration, in order to always improve the service to our clientele.

I am very proud of learning that you evaluate our Gritti “the best Starwood hotel that you experienced so far, and one that you want to return to” and I do hope I shall indeed have soon the privilege of welcoming you back to our palace and meeting you personally.

Sincerely yours,

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My Wife and I spent a weekend at the Gritti Palace and it did not disappoint. The room was beautiful with decadent furnishings. The staff were brilliant and very helpful. As you would expect the local surroundings were always going to please, the glass blowing and architecture were unbelievable.

Will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MAC--_-8796_-_-__-_
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at The Gritti Palace, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
It is for me such a pleasure receiving compliments on the service delivered and learning that our team members were brilliant and capable in helping you throughout your stay!

I am delighted in learning that you are already thinking of coming back to our Gritti in a near future and I look forward to greeting you personally.

Best regards,

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have just returned from three days at the Gritti Palace which we enjoyed immensely. A lovely hotel in a super location, and the staff are uniformly excellent. The restoration has been very successful. This is one of the best located hotels on the Grand Canal because it fronts directly on the water (others look towards the water over busy promenades and waterbus stops) and also has a terrace, and the view from it would be hard to beat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BristolEngland1
I wish to thank you very much for your kind comments referred to your recent visit. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed immensely your stay at the Gritti, both for the attitude of our staff that you rated as excellent as well as for the renovation works and the location of our Palace.

It has been a pleasure to have you among our valuable Guests and I sincerely hope to have the privilege and the opportunity to welcome you back to Venice in a near future.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the GRITTI palace on Fri 28th of Feb for 4 days leaving on weds 3rd of march 20009,I returned again for my 50th birthday on the 14th of Oct 2012, as we approached under the rialto bridge the. lights the beautiful ornate venitian Gothic palaces twinkling ,its magical if you arrive just as its getting dark sitting, in the private white leather seats in the water taxi I felt like a film star Or like Shirley bassey ,Ha ha , as we I arrived outside the GRITTI palace I
Burst into tears , I had saved for 2 years to get to beautiful Venice and it was closed for refurbishment, I thought As a surprize I would turn up not knowing it was closed for a year, but my lovely memories of being in it came flooding back ,the managers are superb they are warm welcoming, the staff at reception and concierge are lovely helpful and nothing is a problem Ivan the caring manager would say to me, Angela don't worry, if the is a problem we will try to fix it and they did they calmed me down. ''you wonder why there would be any problems in Venice there are not if you can walk or stand up to cross the bridges, but as am a disabled guest and had flown from Scotland to gatwick then gatwick to Marco Polo then tried to get a motorized wheelchair onto a rocking boat with a lift on it its no surprize I was stressed and tearful at finally getting to beautiful. Venice.I have not read a review ontrip advisor from a disabled. Motorized wheelchair user,the Beauty of Venice is because its like stepping back in time to the 15th centuary ,but that's what brings the problems in Venice, So to sum up, yes venice can be done in A wheelchair, but there A lot of restricians.in a motorized wheelchair your really confined to the St marks square area and streets off it, the are some problems at the GRITTI inside the hotel but that's why the GRITTI palace is so special and the fantastic staff,they with try to help solve them ,thats why. I will always try to deal with the stress of such a old city like Venice because when I finally get on-the terrace with the wheelchair and sit looking across at the the Santa Maria della salute church all lit up, I forget Iam in a wheelchair. And have staff that care about disabled guests there we are just as important as the walking ones, and.that's why if you are in a wheelchair.go to the GRITTI palace, i hope to report back in Oct of the changes the refurbishment has made to the disabled facilities, i dont think the GRITTI can get any better.angela

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank bellaveneto
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at The Gritti Palace, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am very happy when I read such good comments and nice words about the experiences our Guests had during their stay at our Gritti. I am even happier when the staffs make a remarkable difference and create everlasting and loving memories.

I am really sorry to read that you were not aware of the Gritti’s closure for restoration, which caused you a huge disappointment last October. I wish to assure you not only that we are now fully in operation but also that we are providing our Guests with wheelchair accessible rooms and with disabled facilities.

Thank you for having chosen once again our Gritti Palace for your forthcoming and unforgettable visit of Venice. Please kindly contact us prior to your arrival for any special need you might have, we are gladly at your kind disposal. We will do our best in order to render your sojourn the most enjoyable.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Gritti Palace, I remain, with best regards,