“Clean, but not accessible, and rude staff”

Holiday Inn Venice Mestre Marghera
Ranked #266 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Manchester
“Clean, but not accessible, and rude staff”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Holiday Inn is a large hotel on the outskirts of Venice. There are buses from the train station and Marco Polo airport that drop visitors nearby, but a bit too far if you have luggage, have a hard time walking, or are walking at night. You need to walk 15 minutes through an Italian neighborhood with a bit of graffitti, then walk a long a dirt path in a wooded area that gets you to the hotel. The room was clean, spacious, and had a nice TV. The bathroom was okay. Clean, but old. They have shuttles to the city, but they fill up fast and only come once every other hour. When leaving the hotel, we found out we had to pay for breakfast (we were told otherwise) and then the receptionist spoke, to say the least, very unprofessionally to my husband. Additionally, we found out that there was a shorter path to the road which they didn't bother to tell us about earlier.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ManchesterElizabeth
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Venice Mestre Marghera, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear ManchesterElizabeth,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you gave us an excellent score on Sleep Quality. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, I would like to apologize for the difficulties you had experienced with the hotel staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Janice A
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

On our recent trip to Europe we stayed at Holiday Inn near Venice, bit of an anti climax after a great day in Venice which was stunning, having said that the room was typically functional, poor shower, very dated and proud flag bearer of the Holiday Inn Franchise. Also to top it off our bus was broken into in the Holiday Inn parking lot, delaying our trip by atleast 4 hours. If you have no option stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

-Hotel room, although a bit small, is nice and comfortable. The bathroom and the lobby kinda smelled. Not sure if it's the products they use, but it just didn't feel completely clean

-Location is not the best. We tried walking from the bus station and it's a pretty far 10-15 min. walk, especially since the streets you walk in are dark and kinda residential. I felt a bit nervous just walking late at night. It is a few miles from Venice, so the shuttle is definitely a plus and very convenient

-Service: This is where I had some issues. The older gentleman that checked us in was BEYOND RUDE!!!!!!!!!!! When we walked to him, he seemed like he was bothered. He checked us in but gave us no further information about the city or the hotel. I didn't even know I was done with check in until I asked him and got another rude look from him. This totally made us dissappointed.... The night clerk, however, Francesco, was very friendly and helpful.

Internet was free for 1/2 hour. Breakfast was not included. They accidentally overcharged me for the shuttle, so check your bill carefully.

If I ever return to Venice, I'd rather pay more and stay closer to the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Venice Mestre Marghera, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Sivi811,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you received unacceptable service from our front desk staff. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share these to our front office management to ensure similar incidents won't happen again.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Excellent Holiday Inn located in Mestre , just over the causeway from Venice. Fantastic value for money , hotel has a larger site footprint than the Venetian hotels. Great American bar. Hotel operates frequent shuttle buses at a moderate fee to Venice , fee can be charged to your room. Journeytime to Venice is only 10 to 15 minutes depending on traffic. Clean and well appointed modern hotel. Breakfast is good. If you want to escape the hordes of tourists but be close to Venice this hotel is highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank j_marshall_uk
Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Usualy Holiday standard. Large comfortable room and bed, with international TV channels. Tea and coffee in the room, large bathroom which was a llittle dated and only had a small shower cubicle - no bath.
Located on a roundabout, so if you have no car you are pretty much stranded as there isn't really a safe way for pedestrians to leave the area, did not notice any restaurants etc nearby in any case. Hotel offers a shuttle to Venice itself, which takes about 15mins and costs 8Euros return per person, but book early as the bus only has 8 seats, so preplanning is essential.
The prices of this hotel were good for the comfort available despite the location.
The service really let this hotel down. The restaurant didn't open until 7pm officially, so we tried to get a drink at the hotel bar around 6.40pm - there were staff available, waiting 5mins before a woman came from in the restaurant and served me, albeit with an attitude seemingly due to being disturbed from setting up the restaurant. The Restaurant was not ready for 7pm. Once in the restaurant, the service was adequate although there was zero ambience, with no background noise or music and just a couple of other tables filled with lone businessmen. The atmosphere and service may have been lacking but the food was a great surprise - very large portions and extremely tasty, providing excellent value.
Good rooms, good price but attitude of serving staff needs to be addressed - it appeared that the customers were a major inconvenience to them.

Room Tip: Room at back of hotel required to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Venice Mestre Marghera, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear MagicianManchesterUK,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad you liked the location of our hotel as well as our amenities. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. This helps in becoming a better hotel. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This hotels rooms were larger than the typical European hotels which I stayed in previously. You felt that You could breath a little easier and have a little more space to move around in. This was My 3rd hotel in Italy and a perfect ending to My vacation, making it feel a little more like the hotels that we have in Canada. There were a few things that I didn't like that I should mention...In the washroom You could hear the water running in other suites above, the shower especially. Breakfast time is 7-10am. Every morning at 7am I found myself chasing someone down to open the doors. I found that the hostesses were all so busy in the other rooms, focusing on the larger groups that they had there eating etc. I had Tours to get to and had about 15mins max to have breakfast and run...every minute counts! Besides were all paying the same amount of money to stay there, make sure everyone is looked after on the same level.They have a wifi system which is garbage. They give You a sheet that You have to follow to get wifi access on Your own computer and for the life of Me I could not get it working. Even the guy that works there couldn't get it up and running for Me. He mentioned that they switched company's and this new one has caused a lot of problems. It shouldn't be this complicated...give a user name and password let everyone enjoy! I heard a lot of complaints about that, be prepared to have no access. The people at the front desk could definitely be a little friendlier:) They all seemed to be a little abrupt. This hotel is in a residential area on the main land of Venice which I actually really enjoyed and preferred as opposed to being right on the island where they have no cars etc. It seemed to be a lot easier getting around with Your luggage to and from the airport etc as well. I took the local bus then the public water boat daily when I went to the Island for my tours and pleasure. It was really easy to get to, much cheaper than a taxi! A Taxi cost Me $30 Euros one way, I bought a 48 hours pass for the bus and water boat for $30 Euros...a much better value and the bus ride only took about 15mins to get to the port. I purchased the pass from a little store that was close to the bus stop. You take bus #6 to get to the port area where You catch the water boat, and also the same bus back to the hotel area. The cost of a taxi from the hotel to the airport cost Me $42 Euros, and took about 25mins. Be aware when checking out from the hotel about extra charges being added to Your account like dinner You never ate there! My hotel was paid for before even staying there so I should be expected to pay the city tax which is $2.40 Euros a night at this hotel and that is it. I didn't eat at this hotel other than breakfast which was included or have any other charges that should have been made. It seems a little sketchy when You are in the lobby waiting for Your taxi and hear that everyone checking out must of had dinner there lol. I let the guy know quit quickly that I didn't eat dinner there and funny enough oh it must have been a mistake! Just be aware and stay on top of things at all times!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DCT2012
Oaxaca, Mexico
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My stay at this hotel happened because my booking at another hotel fell through. I was travelling when I received an urgent email notifying me of the error, and requesting I call customer service right away. Expedia.com, my online booking agent, kindly gave me a $100 credit for the inconvenience and found this Holiday Inn as a substitute.

Originally, I booked a hotel in Mestre, relatively close to Venice. This Holiday Inn is in Mestre Marghera, a residential district with nothing to offer visitors. On the positive side, the hotel offers a shuttle service to Venice, at a cost of 8 Euros.

At the busy front desk, staffed by one overworked, unhappy individual, guests frequently endure a long wait. In general, hotel staff look sullen.

Although the hotel is situated with an island of freeways in front, and residential housing behind, the restaurant, rather than being open throughout the day, staggers its hours to align with traditional Italian mealtimes. Arrive outside those hours and you go hungry.

I planned to have laundry washed while here. However, the hotel did not offer a laundry service.

Internet is free for a half hour, and then charges a fairly high connection rate. When I had difficulty with the Internet service no one could help me, which meant I did not receive my free half hour and did without an Internet connection throughout my stay.

I would not stay here again, and I do not recommend this hotel. The location made me feel isolated and the hotel motif lacks charm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank oreenscott
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Venice Mestre Marghera, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear oreenscott,

Thank you for sharing your review of our property. We are deeply sorry that the hotels appearance and location was not to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.