1,114 results
All reviewsst marks squaregreat locationsan marco squarehear the bellsmark's basilicawater taxiclock towerthe hotel staffcentral locationdoge's palacemurano glassexcellent hotellight sleeperbreakfast was includedbreakfast roomthree nightssuperior room
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We have recently returned from a week’s holiday at the Concordia and were made to feel special from the moment we arrived. While we waited for our room to be prepared we were taken to the elegant lounge and offered complementary drinks and sandwiches – and unlike previous reviewers, no one tried to sell us a tour of the Murano glass factories or even suggested we book a gondola ride with them throughout our stay.

Our room (107) was excellent, beautifully furnished with an enormous bathroom and its own Jacuzzi. All the staff were very friendly towards us, particularly Giuliano (Il Papa!) the Head Concierge and Lay, the doorman, who was always willing to have a chat.

Breakfast was included in the package and there was plenty of choice – on 4 mornings we had a table by the window and started the day overlooking one of the best views you could hope for.

Venice is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and the Hotel Concordia is the only hotel on St Mark’s Square, right opposite the Basilica. We will definitely go back to Venice again and definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Explorer803537
Reviewed May 29, 2009

It has a great location. The people at the front desk were not very friendly except for one or two. The room we were given first was extremely small with a wiew to a roof few feets away. After complaining we were moved to a good one, but it had only one electricity outlet in the whole room, then we had to manage to recharge or use the normal devices once at a time. They offer wifi free but it was impossibe to get conected during the three days of our stay, this happen to every passenger with a notebook, there was no place in the hotel where to catch a minimum signal. The explanations always were ¨we are waiting for the technician to come and see what happens¨ of course he never arrived. VERY FAR FROM A 4 STAR HOTEL.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2009

If you arrive by air, I would recommend taking the water taxi into Venice. It is well worth the 95E that you will spend. As you leave the baggage claim area, simply look to the left and you will see the water taxi desk. They will direct you to a pier and the taxi will be waiting for you. It is a 10 minute walk to the dock as you exit the airport , again make a left. Follow the plastic awning until you arrive at the waters edge. Once there tell the driver that you would like to go to San Marco's square and that you are staying at the Concordia Hotel. If you are lucky, when they drop you off, you will only be 1 bridge away from the front door. All this depends on water traffic and the tides. PACKING LIGHT is a key to negotiating this city. There are 3,000 streets, 420 bridges, and 118 canals. There are no cars or bicycles allowed in the city. It's you and your legs so make sure that you and your feet are very comfortable.

Once in the hotel, you will be greeted by a warm, friendly and helpful front desk and staff. Rooms facing San Marco square are an upgrade but well worth the ambiance. It was a little chilly in March but I still opened up my window up to enjoy the scents of this wonderful city. Upgrades run about $30/night. My only complaint is that the beds are as hard as are their pillows. But the rooms/bathrooms are immaculate down to the crisp, pressed white sheets on the beds. I had two different rooms. The one on the second floor was decorated in a Venetian style and had a heated bathroom floor while the one on the 3rd floor had a modern look to it with a wonderful balcony over looking the square. This one also had air conditioning for the hot summers but no heated floor. The bathrooms are all done in venetian glass tiles which are beautiful in my opinion.
The free continental breakfast offers something special for everyone. It was plentiful, fresh and had many delicious choices for any palate. The wait staff was attentive to your every need. The dining room was charming with its varnished wood and mirrored trim and white pressed linen table clothes.

Negotiating this city is a challenge. Even if you buy a map, be prepared to be lost most of the time. (By the way, I felt very safe walking around Venice at any time of day or night). I would strongly suggest a personal walking tour by a woman by the name of Maria Teresa Simones. She is a tour manager with the International Assn. of Tour Managers out of London but lives in Venice. She is a wealth of information. The tour is 65E/person with a minimum of 2 people and 100E if you traveling alone. That is the booking fee if you go through the front dest. If you call her privately, the cost is less. Her cell phone number is [-]. She showed us where the authentic Venetian restaurants were located which is less costly than the more popular tourist traps and the food was delicious. My favorite was the Taverna del Campiello Remer at Cannaregio 5701. The phone number is [-]. It is a real hard to find gem. Maria also helped us identify real Murano Glass items. She was very helpful in negotiating better prices for me. There are quite a few knock offs from China around. She took us to historical sites, commented on all of the architecture and she got us a great price for a gondola ride. 70E. Most rides are a minimum of 95-100E. The walking tour is 2+ hours, she is a lovely lady, and it is definitely worth every penny. If you are going to do the tour, do it first for she will save you a lot of time and $ in the long run. Tell her that Donna and Hannah from Philadelphia said hi. And oh, if you are there in the winter and forget your gloves, don't buy any in the specialty shops, there is a street vendor near the Rialto Bridge who sells the same items for an average of 30E less.

If you are planning to travel by rail to other parts of Italy from Venice, and you are buying your rail ticket on line from the states, be sure that you are leaving from the San Lucia station. I found out the hard way that there are 2 Venice stations and I got stuck leaving from Maestra which wasn't hard to get to by rail, but if you have rail connections, you might miss your train. If you are ARRIVING by rail to Venice, again, get off at the San Lucia station. Once there look for the water BUS to get to downtown Venice. It's a lot cheaper 6.50E/person to take the water bus to the hotel than a personal water taxi. If you are adventurous, get off at the Rialto stop and ask for directions to the hotel. It's an 8 minute walk if you don't get lost. If you have time, and don't want to drag your luggage over numerous bridges and steps, get off at the San Marco Square stop. It will be an additional 20-30 minute water ride but it is closer and less taxing if you are just arriving and have heavy luggage. Be sure to wave your bus ticket in front of a ticket meter. If you don't validate your ticket, and they happen to check it, you will incur a 50E fine.

If you are planning on visiting other islands while in Venice, the most popular ones are Murano and Burano. Murano is famous for its glass blowing. The front desk will arrange a FREE water taxi for you. If you arrange it yourself, you will pay 95E to get there. Once there you will be greeted by the staff for that particular factory. You will see a demonstration which is interesting and then escorted in one of 8 display rooms in which they hope that you will buy something. Don't feel like you have to. I didn't and they weren't too offended. The next thing you know you will be escorted to the taxi, again free of charge to the island of Burano. It's famous for it's fishing and lace. You will see a lace museum which is fascinating and then they will want to sell you some lace. I didn't buy anything there either. I did at other stores but who knows if it was hand sewn. At this point, you will be hungry and I highly suggest eating at the El Gato Negro. (The Black Cat) The Risotto is to die for and the Amaretto Tiramisu is so good, you'll want to eat two of them. Then you are on your own to get back to Venice. We took the water bus back and it cost 6.50E/person. It took an hour and 20 minutes to get back with one change of bus. Ask where to change water buses for no one will announce anything and who knows where you will end up. Or, you can get a personal water taxi from Burano back to Venice for 95E and it takes about 15-20 minutes depending on the water traffic. Remember that the hotel is there to make money so everything they do and arrange for you is at a higher price because of the kick backs. DO let them arrange your water taxi ride back to the airport however. The price is the same, they assist you with your luggage and it picks you up very close to the Concordia. Tipping the staff isn't mentioned but I did give the maids a couple of E's/day because they did do some extra things for me. I also tipped the bell hops when they carried my luggage to the water taxi for me.

For all of you who like Italian designer clothes, (both male and female), handbags, belts, shoes etc. but cringe at the prices in the states, there is a designer outlet in Florence. It's a two and half hour rail ride to Florence (Firenze) but it's really a lot of fun. There are 17 designer stores there; Burburry, Armani, Armani Jeans,Gucci, Belanciaga to name a few. Some prices are more than half off of New York prices depending on the exchange rate. Once you get to the right Florence rail station, (I can't remember if it's the first or second one that is closer) you need to buy another local rail ticket to the Riagano Station. It's another 20-30 minute local train ride. Once there, go to the taxi stand and take a 5 minute taxi ride to The Mall. (3E/person) It's really just called The Mall. The taxies run about every 5 minutes back and forth. I have two daughters in their twenties and they were in heaven. It's a long day but you can sleep on the train and it was fun to spend some quality time with just them. Just remember to get your tickets from the San Lucia station, not Maestra. I'd leave on the 8AM train from Venice and I would take the 5PM or later train back to Venice from Florence. That would give you 3-4 hours to browse around the stores.

I have checked the box so that you can write to me if you have any other questions about Venice. Please feel free to write and I hope that my little blog has made your trip a little more enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhiladelphiaMaverick
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Hi,

Stayed here, for 3 nights went over to Murano island cost about 8 euros for both of us return on the public water bus service. Was happy with the hotel, but would not eat or drink in the hotel bar if I was to visit again incredibly expensive. Loved Venice would say 3 days was just right.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank khellings
Reviewed March 2, 2009

The hotel was central and very easy to find (unlike some) It is an ideal base for all of the sights.it is clean and well maintained. the food is well prepaired and reasonably priced for its location.The staff are friendly and helpful. However because of its proximity to the basilicas the bells chime on the hour at night and every half hour during the day,(eg at 11.00pm they chime 11 times) and can go on for 2 to 3 minutes early in the morning,ie 6am!!!.The noise from the allys can also be loud as the Cafes and bars serve late into the night. Overall our stay was very enjoyable and would reccommend this hotel and the city in general.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple