“"Pleasant Stay for Two Families and Three Rooms"”

HOTEL OLIMPIA Venice
Ranked #30 of 387 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our stay of two nights 3 days was very nice, we had three rooms. 3rd floor was a suite that slept two adults and two twin beds for two young kids. With slope ceilings that the adults hit their heads a few times... Our room was on the 2nd floor with queen bed with a great view to the canal with the bus traffic drop off view. Our teens had a room across from us three boys with 2 twin beds and a pull down cot, my complaint from my son is it was terrible mattress and preferred to sleep on the floor and got a lot of bites. Not really sure what bit him, but the other two boys were also bit. I would recommend checking the mattresses for bed bugs. The other two rooms were fine and no complaints! It was a pleasant visit with both families and close to two Italian restaurants that were very good. The breakfast buffet was very nice with hot eggs and bacon along with cereals, fruits, danishes & hot coffee, tea served with a smile and excellent service...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,301)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here back in April 2012 and had a pleasant stay.

The location is good (very close to the bus shuttle and train stations if you are arriving this way); and as Venice is so small, pretty much everything is a walkable distance or if you don't feel like walking it is also close to the vaporetti stop.

The staff were all polite and spoke great English. The room was clean and nice. The decor was a bit gaudy for my taste however this is the local style and the room I was given was one of the nicer ones in my opinion. I was able to sleep well (though sound did occassionally bleed through the walls/floor from other rooms). The free wifi was also a bonus because many hotels charge extortionate rates for this. I was given a room on the top floor which was not a problem as they do have a lift (though I am petite and even I found this lift quite claustrophic to stand in). I was cautious about keeping windows closed most of the time due to mosquitos and I think being on the top floor helped me to avoid any bites; whereas my friends who were staying just a 1 min walk away at a different hotel on the ground floor woke up regularly covered in bites. The bathroom was nice but I would say the shower is very, very small so try to request a room with a larger one if possible.

I did not try the breakfast buffet but did order room service breakfast one day, the portion was extremely large for one person and you get a basket of different bread & pastries in addition to your ordered items. The scrambled eggs I got were not what I was expecting; they were completely cooked through egg than the creamy type you get in the UK but again I found this when I went to America also, I think it is a bit of a hit and miss dish when abroad. I was told by the concierge that they don't offer room service in the evenings so this would be a nice addition if they could, but there are plenty of shops and good restaurants nearby so it is not a problem.

I had a great stay overall and would not hesitate to book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger shower. Higher floors might help you avoid mosquito bites.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Hotel Olimpia is located close to Piazzale Roma, the People Mover and Santa Lucia Train Station. In that regard, the location of the hotel is very convenient, and this is specifically why I had booked a couple of nights at this hotel since we were planning a few day trips out of Venice on train, so it would be a time saver being close to the train station. As someone who has been to Venice many times, I had my reservations, though, about the location when I was making this choice. Even though Venice is very small and compact and totally walkable, this is still the edge of the city. And when we moved to our next hotel near San Marco Square we did feel that we were fully immersed in Venice. Having said this, the location of Hotel Olimpia has its merits. There are quite a few less touristy restaurants in the vicinity of this hotel. Also, being located in Santa Croce, the hotel gives easy access to more residential and less touristy parts of Venice.

I should note that it is possible to access the Hotel from Piazzale Roma just crossing one bridge. It is just important to approach from the right part of Piazzale Roma, otherwise more bridges would need to be crossed, and it can be cumbersome with suitcases.

We had a suite in the back part of the hotel, which required that we cross through the charming courtyard and walk into the back building. Their courtyard garden is a rare gem for Venice.

Our suite was on the second floor, and there was no elevator, but they helped us with the luggage and it was not a problem. The suite, though, did not feel quite Venetian in its decor, as I had expected per posted photos. Also, the beds were very hard and uncomfortable. The bathroom was nice-looking, but the placement of the bathtub made it very uncomfortably tight. The suite and bathroom were very clean. When I asked the reception to see if another suite was available they showed me another one that had silk-clad Venetian-style walls and decor, but was even smaller than what we had, so we opted to stay in our original suite. Throughout this request, the reception personnel was very helpful.

At one point we needed help with dry cleaning, and the head of their housecleaning staff was beyond helpful and good-natured about our request. Generally, the customer service was very responsive.

The breakfast at Hotel Olimpia was superb. There was a lot of variety, and it was being consistently replenished. Also, in the evenings they provide a tray with a tea kettle and teas to take to the room, which is great.

Overall, Hotel Olimpia is a reliable hotel and a safe choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Just came today to Florence from Venice. We with my wife stayed 3 nights at this lovely cute hotel starting our Italian honeymoon trip. I also before choosing hotels did survey a lot reading trip advisor's reviews. And chose this Hotel Olimpia and happy with my choice.
1) First of all great location. Just in front of major bus station about 3-4min. 30 mins by ATVO bus (only 6 euros) from Airport.
2) Very good price. Made non-refundable and got deluxe room for much cheaper.
3) Very clean and so cute interior.
4) Very friendly and helpful staff. Always smiling. Not only reception but also cleaners and breakfast servers.
5) very nice fresh buffet breakfast. I read a lot negative reviews before arriving and suprised why people do not like it. Maybe depending on countries standart? For 3 star small size hotel i think very basic fresh and delishious breakfast. Special thanks for breakfast server lady who always brought delishious coffee and hot chocolate for several times.

Only one negative point!
No WIFI at room! Only at reception area and Not Free. Every 30 min is 5 euro. It is better to go nearby cafe and have drink and unlimited WiFi. On Hotel page they lie saying Free WIFI???

Anyway not taking into account WiFi we can surely say that we had wonderful pleasant stay. Thank you Hotel Olimpia! This hotel could take 4 stars! Maybe just do not want to pay more tax. Who knows...

2  Thank Djaparov M
BWOlimpia, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at HOTEL OLIMPIA Venice, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Mr. & Mrs Djaparov,
Thank you very much for your great review. It has been highly appreciated. We work daily in order to improve all the services we provide and whenever we receive a good feedback, it is the best reward we can imagine to get.
We are extremely sorry about your experience with the Wi-Fi connection. This service is absolutely free of charge ( just have a look at the other reviews ), is it clearly specify on every reservation/web site and we use to provide LINE and PASS upon arrival. It could be possible that you did not blocked the internet connection on your device, or that you have used a different net.
In this case ( unfortunately it happens ), you are charged by your mobile phone company, since you’re not using the free WI-FI access. This is the only explanation we can give about your experience.
Thank you again and again, we hope to have the chance to welcoming back at the hotel Olimpia in the future.
Kind regards,
The Hotel Management

Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was our last stop in the Veneto, following a week in an apartment in the Sestiere Castello, a week driving around the Veneto, then three days more to meet offspring flying in from London. I wanted to have a room near the Piazzale Roma, 1. because we had to return our car to the airport then bus back to Venice, and 2. because offspring were flying over from London and we wanted them to find us easily after they bussed in from the airport. We predicted their arrival and could see them and hail them from our window as they stepped off the Piazzale Roma. There are three bridges to cross (this neighborhood is called Tre Ponti) then there's the hotel on a small canal or vio.

Although close to the busy motor entrance to Venice, the hotel is quiet, even when our window was open. There are gondolas docked in front of the hotel and a very pleasant garden behind. The breakfast was quite excellent--sufficient and good coffee. The decorations throughout the hotel were tasteful with a traditional Venetian flavor. In the warm weather one can take breakfast on the back terrace.

The rooms were small but pleasant. The bathrooms were adequate but not luxurious. The price was most reasonable. This may be the best price/value hotel I have stayed in in Venice and I have stayed in a lot of them.

Out the front door and immediately on the right is a little bar where coffee and drinks are available. Walking further and turning the corner at the foot of the bridges, you can find a laundry that will do wash, dry and fold for you. We left a bunch and paid only $25. which is a bargain in Venice. The owner is a former Alitalia pilot who speaks English quite well.

The staff at the Olimpia were extremely courteous and helpful, making us feel at home. The hotel has free Wi-Fi.

When it was time to leave, we had only to lug our bags across the three bridges then roll up to the Piazzale Roma and board our public bus to the airport.

Room Tip: Take a room on either front or back. They are all good.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rlemon
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia post cruise. It is walking distance to Piazzale Roma, which is a main transportation hub for Venice. You can catch the bus here to the airport (they go every 20 min), or you can hop on the People Mover which will take you from/to the cruise port. There is also a vaporetto stop there as well.

The hotel was very nice and clean. There is a large breakfast room with an excellent breakfast, which included eggs, cereals, fruit, yogurt, bread, etc. The front desk staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MNTraveler56
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I liked this hotel because most importantly it was easy to find. Just near the bus station and around the corner from the train station it was in a handy location. But amazingly you don't get any of the noise. My room in the other part of the buiding next door overlooked the garden. I learnt the hard way, it is best to keep the window closed at night because of mosquitoes. Although sceptical that they had a garden area, I can vouch that they have a well maintained garden and you can go outside and relax in it. Staff were very friendly and breakfast was very nice. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo