“Very good”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Ranked #53 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I traveled with my family: my parents, older sister and me. We visited Venice at the end of September. The weather was still good, but not uncomfortably hot. We stayed at the Metropole for 5 nights in a quadruple room.

Arrival: Perfect. We arrived with a watertaxi and the moment we got out, there was already someone there to help us with our luggage. Check-in went smooth. We were early, but we could already go to our room (which is always a nice surprise!). Everybody was very friendly. Our luggage was brought up. We wanted to eat something small in the bar and while it was far past lunchtime, this was no problem.

Room: Clean. Very Venice. If you like modern design, you won't like this. But the perfect room for Venice. If you like antique, you will like this setting. The room was rather small, but that's normal. Bathroom was a little too small for 4, but still nothing we couldn't manage. Pillows were a little 'flat' and 'soft', but there were extra ones available. Turndown service, which I think is always a nice touch. Good mattresses. Oh: and free WiFi that actually works!

Staff: Very friendly and helpfull! Each time we left or arrived, we were greeted by the staff. One night we arrived late and we hadn't eaten yet. We asked if we could eat something in the bar (thinking the answer would be no, it was past 22h) and it wasn't a problem. And with a smile! Never did they give you the feeling your question was too much. Their English wasn't perfect, but good enough.

Food/breakfast: Breakfast was very good, but it was included in our room rate. If it wouldn't have been included, I wouldn't have had breakfast in the hotel because it's a little expensive and there are cheaper options. Choices: cheeses, fruits, yogurt, croissants and other pastries, juices, eggs, bacon, sausages, cereal, cake, bread.... Everything you need, but expensive if it's not included (but luckily for us: it was;-). We ate at the hotel twice, beside breakfast. Once after returning from the opera we had four snacks (two sandwiches, a pasta and a burger) and it was really good! When we arrived we also had some appetizers and refreshments and those were basic but very tasty. Maybe a little expensive, but nothing extravagant (it is Venice, after all!) and I thought the price was worth it.

Location: It's located five minutes from San Marco. So, you're close to everything but: busy. People everywhere. But that's what you get from staying in this neighbourhood. But it's really special to be in the middle of the city! And when you leave the hotel, you're right on the embankment (I'm not sure this is the right word for what I mean, but anyway: you get what I mean ;-). At night, when you go back to your hotel, you see the huge cruiseships passing by. And in the morning you can sit on the little benches in front of the hotel and see Venice awakening. Just a little 'warning': the walk to/from San Marco Square is just five minutes, but you do have to cross 3 or 4 high bridges. Of course, Venice is full of them. But if you really want to avoid them as much as possible then maybe the Metropole isn't for you...

Departure: No problems there. We left really early before breakfast was served. But there was still coffee available and little things to nibble on. We paid and we waited for the taxi. And when the taxi arrived someone helped us with our luggage and waved us out.

Conclusion: Very good stay. I would come back, but it is expensive. Nothing outrageous for Venice, but still expensive. But: nice people, perfect location and the Venice atmosphere is very much there!

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a room with a view. We didn't and that didn't bother us at all. You...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Julz_BE
MetropoleVeniceItaly, Proprietario at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear "JulzBE",
I am really impressed by all the amount of details in your comment! Really, thank you so much! This is very helpful for us as well to have a complete review of all the aspect of our service. You are a very attentive Guest!
I am extremely glad you apppreciated our Staff, our food and the location. Believe me, making our Guests feel as they were at home is our main purpose, and we are convinced that not only service and job makes this possible, but above all the human touch.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your comment, and let us know when you come back to Venice!

Regards.

Venice

Write a ReviewReviews (1,303)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nice hotel, but slightly outdated. Great location in Venice, nice staff, good housekeeping. Attracts peculiar people. The hotel rooms were decorated nicely, it felt like we were in a different time!! Comfortable beds, and fabulous bathroom. It is good, but not the best in Venice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TravellerLaura11
MetropoleVeniceItaly, Proprietario at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear "TravellerLaura11",

I wish to thank you for sharing your comment with the Tripadvisor community.
You wrote that staying at the Metropole is like living in a different time... well, this makes me quite proud, as I am convinced that a real and effective holiday has to make you feel as distant from your daily life as possible!!
I hope to have you as guest some other time in the future.
Thank you again.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed 3 night arriving on Xmas day. The private pier is perfect when you get to Venice from the aiport using taxi boat.The warm welcome by the reception staff speaking english french is to be noticed.This hotel make me think of an old mention in the countryside. The corridors and rooms are full of antiques and to my opinion very tastefully decorated. We had room 321, 3rd floor overlooking St Marc bassin.Nice cosy décoration, good size, double bed.Large bathroom with inside toilets. Bathtub no seperate shower.Complementary Fruit basket and panetone (xmas special) The lounge and the bar with walls covered in red material,wood, mirrors, red carpets and sofa are pretty cosy and confortable when its cold outside and raining. Nice xmas decoration, candles, home fragrances make someone feel confortable. Staff is very efficient and always pleasant and welcoming. Great Buffet Bfast is served in a nice silver room by the garden veranda. We did not eat at the Met as we went to the restaurant of Hotel Monaco. The hotel is perfectly located 5 minutes walk from the Doges Palace. I definitly recommand this very charming place.

Room Tip: reserve early B&B direct on hotel website take a room with view and room on high floor (3rd)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janluis
MetropoleVeniceItaly, Proprietario at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear "janluis",

thank you so much for taking the time to write such a good comment!
Yes, I must say Christmas is probably my favourite period of the year, for what it represents and for the warmth I feel and wish to share.
It all means a great work to decorate the Metropole with the most charming and cosy features. It is not easy, I really do not want to take for granted such an important characteristic such as Christmas decorations, therefore I look everywhere to find the most appropriate object and the most amazing matching.
The hotel thus has a completely different atmosphere, as you noticed.
Of course in all this effort I have great help from my staff. Everyone of us gives his best in special periods like Christmas, and I am really very glad that our Guests appreciate.
I hope you'll have the chance to come to the Metropole in other special occasions (don't miss our Carnival!). I would be more than glad to meet you personally.

Thank you again and kind regards.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

A hotel which exudes old world charm with enough modern amenities to satisfy the modern traveller. The bar makes a great launch pad for planning the days activities or to unwind after a full day of Venice's sights. The staff was friendly and helpful in everything from arranging tours to booking restaurant reservations. The location can't be beat and being able to ride a Motoscafi straight from the airport is priceless.

3  Thank Benjamin R

Dear "Benjamin R",
you have been very kind to write your comment, thank you very much.
The matching of old charm with modern amenities is one of our main purposes, as we are aware that Guest nowadays have great expectations as far as service and functionality are concerned.
We do hope to be able to fulfil every guest's wish always, and if you come to the Metropole again in the future you will see by yourself!

Thank you for your time.
Regards.

Glria Beggiato

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I booked three nights at the Metropole in Venice to celebrate my husband's birthday. Our stay could not have been better. The staff at the Metropole from the lady who changed our sheets to the front desk staff to the restaurant and bar managers were extremely professional, helpful and friendly. We celebrated my husband's birthday in the Met Restaurant, and enjoyed great service, great food and great wine. We were surprised before dinner with Prosecco and after with a plate of petit fours and candle to celebrate the birthday. We could not recommend this hotel more highly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lagoon side have a wonderful view morning noon and night.
3  Thank Jan G

Dear "Jan G",
I am really proud that your stay and your husband'sd birthday made you happy!
We do believe that special occasions must be celebrated with care and great attention, good memories depend from this as well!!
I will share your nice comment with the staff of the restaurant, they are really attentive and well-instructed, and put everyday great passion in their job.

Thank you so much for writing your comment.

With warm regards.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just returned from a lovely stay in Venice. The hotel was excellent I found all the staff extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel had lots of charm and character and was situated in a great location . Just a few minutes from st. marks square and bars and restaurants. We also enjoyed a complementary trip to the murano glass company which we really enjoyed. The room was lovely decorated and had everything we needed. We would love to return to Venice and would definitely stay at the metropole perfect !

3  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Fantastic hotel in a great location . The food in the restaurant was fantastic although a little pricey if your on a budget but I guess thats just Venice. The bar was very Cozy and over looking the grand canal but had a pub feel with a good menu for day time food. Our room was small but Ok for 2/3 day visit, the hotel was very clean and all of the staff were very helpful, in particular the concierge who organised a trip to Murenno to see a glass factory.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple