“Nice”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Ranked #50 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nice hotel, but slightly outdated. Great location in Venice, nice staff, good housekeeping. Attracts peculiar people. The hotel rooms were decorated nicely, it felt like we were in a different time!! Comfortable beds, and fabulous bathroom. It is good, but not the best in Venice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TravellerLaura11
MetropoleVeniceItaly, Proprietario at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear "TravellerLaura11",

I wish to thank you for sharing your comment with the Tripadvisor community.
You wrote that staying at the Metropole is like living in a different time... well, this makes me quite proud, as I am convinced that a real and effective holiday has to make you feel as distant from your daily life as possible!!
I hope to have you as guest some other time in the future.
Thank you again.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed 3 night arriving on Xmas day. The private pier is perfect when you get to Venice from the aiport using taxi boat.The warm welcome by the reception staff speaking english french is to be noticed.This hotel make me think of an old mention in the countryside. The corridors and rooms are full of antiques and to my opinion very tastefully decorated. We had room 321, 3rd floor overlooking St Marc bassin.Nice cosy décoration, good size, double bed.Large bathroom with inside toilets. Bathtub no seperate shower.Complementary Fruit basket and panetone (xmas special) The lounge and the bar with walls covered in red material,wood, mirrors, red carpets and sofa are pretty cosy and confortable when its cold outside and raining. Nice xmas decoration, candles, home fragrances make someone feel confortable. Staff is very efficient and always pleasant and welcoming. Great Buffet Bfast is served in a nice silver room by the garden veranda. We did not eat at the Met as we went to the restaurant of Hotel Monaco. The hotel is perfectly located 5 minutes walk from the Doges Palace. I definitly recommand this very charming place.

Room Tip: reserve early B&B direct on hotel website take a room with view and room on high floor (3rd)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janluis
MetropoleVeniceItaly, Proprietario at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear "janluis",

thank you so much for taking the time to write such a good comment!
Yes, I must say Christmas is probably my favourite period of the year, for what it represents and for the warmth I feel and wish to share.
It all means a great work to decorate the Metropole with the most charming and cosy features. It is not easy, I really do not want to take for granted such an important characteristic such as Christmas decorations, therefore I look everywhere to find the most appropriate object and the most amazing matching.
The hotel thus has a completely different atmosphere, as you noticed.
Of course in all this effort I have great help from my staff. Everyone of us gives his best in special periods like Christmas, and I am really very glad that our Guests appreciate.
I hope you'll have the chance to come to the Metropole in other special occasions (don't miss our Carnival!). I would be more than glad to meet you personally.

Thank you again and kind regards.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

A hotel which exudes old world charm with enough modern amenities to satisfy the modern traveller. The bar makes a great launch pad for planning the days activities or to unwind after a full day of Venice's sights. The staff was friendly and helpful in everything from arranging tours to booking restaurant reservations. The location can't be beat and being able to ride a Motoscafi straight from the airport is priceless.

3  Thank Benjamin R

Dear "Benjamin R",
you have been very kind to write your comment, thank you very much.
The matching of old charm with modern amenities is one of our main purposes, as we are aware that Guest nowadays have great expectations as far as service and functionality are concerned.
We do hope to be able to fulfil every guest's wish always, and if you come to the Metropole again in the future you will see by yourself!

Thank you for your time.
Regards.

Glria Beggiato

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I booked three nights at the Metropole in Venice to celebrate my husband's birthday. Our stay could not have been better. The staff at the Metropole from the lady who changed our sheets to the front desk staff to the restaurant and bar managers were extremely professional, helpful and friendly. We celebrated my husband's birthday in the Met Restaurant, and enjoyed great service, great food and great wine. We were surprised before dinner with Prosecco and after with a plate of petit fours and candle to celebrate the birthday. We could not recommend this hotel more highly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lagoon side have a wonderful view morning noon and night.
3  Thank Jan G

Dear "Jan G",
I am really proud that your stay and your husband'sd birthday made you happy!
We do believe that special occasions must be celebrated with care and great attention, good memories depend from this as well!!
I will share your nice comment with the staff of the restaurant, they are really attentive and well-instructed, and put everyday great passion in their job.

Thank you so much for writing your comment.

With warm regards.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just returned from a lovely stay in Venice. The hotel was excellent I found all the staff extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel had lots of charm and character and was situated in a great location . Just a few minutes from st. marks square and bars and restaurants. We also enjoyed a complementary trip to the murano glass company which we really enjoyed. The room was lovely decorated and had everything we needed. We would love to return to Venice and would definitely stay at the metropole perfect !

3  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Fantastic hotel in a great location . The food in the restaurant was fantastic although a little pricey if your on a budget but I guess thats just Venice. The bar was very Cozy and over looking the grand canal but had a pub feel with a good menu for day time food. Our room was small but Ok for 2/3 day visit, the hotel was very clean and all of the staff were very helpful, in particular the concierge who organised a trip to Murenno to see a glass factory.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachhol
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a week in late September-early October. All the really good things the other contributors have said are true. This is a great hotel in a great location. It has terrific charm and its decor fits perfectly with the notions of almost indulgent opulence that are associated with this historic city. The collections of artefacts on display around the hotel are fascinating and add to the special atmosphere. This is certainly not the place to come if your preference is for the minimalist modern boutique hotel! But there are plenty of those places around nowadays; the Metropole, though, is a one-off.

The Riva degli Schiavoni, upon which the hotel stands, is often very busy with day visitors. As soon as you pass through the hotel doors, however, it feels like walking into a oasis of calm and order. This impression is largely given by the hotel staff who seem to have effortless control over all the functions of the hotel. No one needs to run or shout here. The service we received was very efficient and immediate. For example, there was no waiting for the receptionist to finish with another guest. If we wanted attention when this was happening someone else appeared. At the same time the staff were not so proud of their establishement that they had the sort of imposing presence that stifles the atmosphere of many grand hotels. Instead, it felt like they were in the background allowing us to enjoy the freedom of the place. I suppose this is the essence of what luxury hotels like the Metropole aim for in terms of service but don't always manage to deliver.

We had a suite on the third floor overlooking the Bacino St Marco. Of course the view is amazing and you clearly pay a premium for this. The suite is decorated in middle eastern style with luxury Fortuny furnishings and light fittings. There is a turkish bath (surely unique?) from which you can watch TV or listen to music. The bed is large and comfortable, as was a sitting area. The bathroom was scrupulously clean and beautifully tiled. It has a walk-in shower with seating and it doubles as a sauna. Everything in this place is set up for relaxation and we took the opportunity fully!

The breakfast was a highlight, served in the courtyard or an adjacent room. The breakfast staff were particularly charming. So often hotel breakfasts are functional affairs served with little care and attention. At the Metropole, the opposite is true. We also enjoyed the hotel bar, where we sometimes dined. It is as wonderfully eclectic as the rest of the hotel. The bar manager Bruno is friendly and chatty and the menu is good. I have one criticism (about the only thing that I found to criticise about the hotel), and that is the music in the bar can feel too moody and overbearing. I think this maybe results from trying to be just a bit too cool. Something a little more upbeat and uplifting would create a far better atmosphere.

Not about the hotel but a Venice tip: the shops in Murano all sell awful tourist rubbish. You ask yourself 'is this really the world famous Murano glass?' The answer is no. They keep the stuff that they made their name with in private showrooms upstairs or around the back. Amazing stuff in fact. If you are interested in the real Murano glass, go to a good maker and ask to see the showroom that is not open to the public. And make sure you look like you might spend a lot of money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple