“Purchase tickets for Opera at every price level: sublime experience.”
Review of Teatro La Fenice

Ranked #10 of 792 things to do in Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This world famous opera house, burned to the ground in 1996, has been rebuilt amongst much scandal and drama: its modern beauty and complex history ensure its place among the most celebrated monuments in Italian history.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The first time I bought a ticket for an Opera, in Spring of 2011, I paid little and sat at the highest level: although the partial view from way up high was "quaint" with admirable proximity to the gorgeous architecture, seeing only some of the stage and a full view of the orchestra pit made me a devoted fan of any performance at La Fenice. If you have the means to sit on the main floor, I have done that too, and the experience is beautiful; but somehow being up in the little boxes up top makes one feel like an insider who really understands more.

The music is first class, the musicians are handsome, beautiful and vibrant with extraordinary sound.

The performance of La Boheme was modern with sexy staging. I saw numerous performances and musical events from 2011 - 2012.
Of course, the Opera Stars are extraordinary and any performance here will give you a perspective for evaluating and enjoying opera anywhere in the world; including home town companies in the USA or other equally famous Opera Houses in Major Cities.

1  Thank Sarasko
Write a ReviewReviews (3,530)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Fenice restored to being even better that it's former glory after the fire. Very impressive building. Definitely worth a tour.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Having paid our 8 euros each to go in, we were told that we couldn't take an audio guide without showing photographic ID which we didn't have as our passports were safely back at the hotel. So we had to make do with googling it as we went round. Still a very interesting place to look around and lots of places to sit and relax without being hurried on which is perfect after all the walking we'd done around Venice.
You are asked to pay an extra 3 euros to take photos but this is only policed in the opera box itself and we saw people taking photos all over without being checked so I'm not sure this is worth it.

2  Thank InfrequentTravelBabe
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We have decided to visit the theatre only the last day in Venice. It was a fantastic surprise since you have the chance to dream and live something with an ancient flavour but that you know is absolutely new. After the fire of 1997 the theatre was rebuilt and the result is stunning. With your 8 euro ticket you have a free audioguide that let you go in the theatre and see it autonomously. Really worthy.

3  Thank Paralleltulip F
Reviewed May 13, 2013

After reading a book on the Teatro La Fenice, it was a great experience to see it in person and add life to the reading. The outside is somewhat plain, but the grandeur of the place is only realized once you step inside. The only drawback is that you must pay to see the inside. For me, a lover of opera and having read a book on the Teatro, I had to. If you don't like opera or don't want to spend money on looking at the interior of a building, I would spend my money here.

1  Thank Anypush